Braid to Fluorocarbon and Mico Guides?

All the talk of using Braid with a Fluorocarbon leader made me think of how this works with Micro-Guides.
    Will an Alberta knot go though the guides smoothly enough to not cause casting problems?
    Last edited by Disciple; 10-19-2018 at 06:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    All the talk of using Braid with a Fluorocarbon leader made me think of how this works with Mico-Guides.
    Will an Alberta knot go though the guides smoothly enough to not cause casting problems?
    In a word, no. This is why I use either flouro or braid on my baitcasters and don't worry about knots.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    All the talk of using Braid with a Fluorocarbon leader made me think of how this works with Mico-Guides.
    I have 1 spinning rod with Micro-Guides and haven't had a problem with 10lb braid with 6lb leader. Now there could be a problem with heaver line to heaver leader material..
    2019 Bass Cat Eyra
    Mercury 250 Pro SX
    4 Stroke 2B591496

4. Member
    I too avoid using a knot on micro guides. That little nub of fluoro seems to get caught at the wrong times no matter how short I trim. If I have to, I tie on a two or three foot leader and cast with the knot past my tip top.

No bueno on casting rods, for two reasons I think. The first is pretty obvious and goes right along with hekistner's observation: We tend to use heavier lines on casting rods, so those knots are even more obtrusive. Thinner line on a spinning rod means that the knots aren't as big and are therefore less likely to catch.

The second is one that I'm not sure about and honestly should be since I've built a few rods: I think "micro" guides on a production spinning rod tend to be bigger than "micro" guides on a production casting rod. Of course this is true for the choker guides, but even for the running guides I think the those manufacturers classify as "micro" have smaller ring diameters on casting rods than on spinning rods.

A third reason might be that knots catching on guides is a bigger problem for casting reels than spinning reels because casting reels backlash.

Combine those things, or even only the line size thing if I'm completely off base with the guide size stuff, and I say to avoid micro guides on casting rods if you want to do braid to fluoro. Really it's probably best to avoid them on a spinning rod as well, but it's at least doable.

If you must try it, I did have some success last year by purchasing what amounts to a "high build" (thicker or more viscous) UV epoxy and coating my leader knots with it. Strength is the obvious benefit, but it also smooths out those tags johnnybass mentions. It does come at the expense of flexibility, so getting knots into the reel becomes more of a problem if you go that route. Also probably best to only apply the stuff in the dark or in the garage. It hardens quickly if done outside in the daylight.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

I have found the blood knot to be the least catchy knot that I have the patience to tie. The tag ends come out in the middle of the knot and can be trimmed very closely.

I've always imagined some sort of wax that would mold around the knot and sort of streamline it...sort of like the epoxy product that Drew described.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

7. Member
    FG knot properly tied should work fine. I use a 40lb powerpro braid with 20lb fluoro tied with FG knot. Passes through guides on Zillion rod fine.
    2004 Tracker Avalanche with 150 Mercury XR6

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post

Combine those things, or even only the line size thing if I'm completely off base with the guide size stuff, and I say to avoid micro guides on casting rods if you want to do braid to fluoro. Really it's probably best to avoid them on a spinning rod as well, but it's at least doable.
    Agree 100%

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybass View Post
    I too avoid using a knot on micro guides. That little nub of fluoro seems to get caught at the wrong times no matter how short I trim. If I have to, I tie on a two or three foot leader and cast with the knot past my tip top.
    ^^^THIS^^^ With an Alberto knot!

Joe Perez
    Boatless white trash

10. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I tried to use leaders when I came back to Bass fishing since I was so used to it flats fishing. On casting gear I just had nightmares. No matter the length it took me out of my casting rhythm, the knot was inevitably in the wrong spot. With 30lb braid that I use, even with a FG knot which is my usual leader knot, the diameters were still too far apart.

If I need poly/co-poly for some technique I’m spooling that rig with that line.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV