Which Braid are you all using

planning a trip to Guntersville and want to get some braid to spool up with.
    what braid are you all using and what do you like or dislike about it

The only braid I use is Izorline Brutally Strong Spectra in green. I use the 50 pound test for flipping and frogging and use 30 pound test on a spinning reel, when I use a spinning rig with braid, which is rare for me. I’ve halled some big fish out of nasty cover, both weeds and wood, with the 50 pound test. It cuts through lilly pads, milfoil, and cabbage weed like a knife, yet doesn’t hang in woods as much as other braids I tired years ago. It doesn’t make noise going through the guides. I’ve also noticed that, unlike some other braids I tried years ago, that when I get some twist in the 50 pound test, I can troll it behind the boat and the twist comes out easily. With other braids, the twist seemed to be permanent, no matter what I did.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

If you’re going to do any heavy flippin, or frog fishing...Suffix 832 super tough

4. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I only use Suffix 832. Most of my rods are filled with 30lb, it casts well, doesn’t dig in a lot, holds a Palomar knot great and is just the right diameter. I go to 65lb for flipping and deep pad frogs.

I like staying with 2 sizes so I can always have what I use on hand.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

I used to think it mattered, but the more I fish with braid and the longer its been on the market (read: the longer different manufacturers have had to perfect/copy the process) the more I'm deciding that it's all the same within different classes of line. Power Pro, J-Braid x4, Fins Original are the same as any other 4 strand; 832, Super Slick, J-Braid x8, Fins XS are the same as any 8 strand; Nanofil and Gliss are basically the same. Probably not a popular opinion and definitely not a move most would make, but I've just started buying it on eBay or via the "Geek" (basically Wish) app. "Seaknight W8" is one in particular that is really cheap, and really good.

832 was always my go-to on my casting setups and was happy with it, and I still have several reels with 832 on them. I've experimented with so many lines on my spinning reels and changed around so many times I think I've got a different line on each of my 4. I've liked the Fins XS for its availability in orange and have one of my reels spooled up with the 10 lb variety, I've been quite pleased with 15 lb Seaknight W8 in yellow for this purpose, I'm sure one of my reels has yellow 15 lb 832 on it, and one of them definitely has 15 lb blue Super Slick. I do really like the blue colored line partially because I feel it's probably more "natural" than yellow or orange (assuming fish can see those colors and actually care if a thin colored string is 10 feet away), but mostly because blue stands out really nicely in the lakes I fish that are full of vegetation and surrounded by trees. Suffix 832 is now available in a blue color, so that may be something to consider for those that like it.

I also used to advocate for 20 or even 30 lb braid on spinning reels for manageability, but I've backed off on that thought process after trying the lighter stuff this year. Casts further and doesn't sail nearly as bad in the wind. Worth a few extra tangles and a little extra difficulty in tying leaders.

There are two braids out there that I'm aware of and feel may be different, but haven't had a chance to try them yet so this is just based on what I've read: The Vicious no-fade braid I doubt handles any differently than any of the other 8-strand lines, but by all accounts it really does keep its color. I also think the new(ly available in the US) YGK sinking braids - they have two varieties now - may bring something different to the table. A third might be the new Sunline Asegai (I think that's the right spelling) but I haven't heard enough about it from anyone not sponsored by Sunline to have an opinion.

I started to go off on one of my way-too-long tangents about line color here (as if the above tangent wasn't long enough), but in the interest of not derailing this thread I'll just start another one. 'Tis the season!
    Last edited by DrewFlu33; 10-18-2018 at 12:50 PM.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

6. Member
    Depending on how much you want to spend, I'd recommend either the Suffix 832 or the Vicious No-Fade Braid. I love everything about the 832 except that it loses its color very quickly. It is a great casting line, doesn't fray easily, and I've never had it break on me. A year ago I decided to try the No-Fade Braid and I love it...other than the price. After a full season of use, it still looks and feels like brand new line. It hasn't lost any color at all. I feel it handles just as well as the 832 with casting and I haven't noticed any fraying of the line. It also has a smaller diameter than any other braid I've seen when looking at pound-for-pound comparisons. However, if you backlash a lot or go through a lot of line because of constantly changing baits, I'd go another route because it's $70+ for a 300 yard spool. However, I feel very confident that I will get another full season of use out of the line that's currently on my reels, so that makes the per season cost much lower. Good luck!

7. Member
    Been using Sunline FX2 for casting rods. 65 for punching, 50 for everything else.

8. Member
    Suffix 832 is all I use.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

9. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Wow Drew, you really are going through some kind of fish crisis in your way of thinking! You’re questioning everything you know!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

10. Member
    I agree with DrewFlu. I think most are the same. I actually bought some Kastking braid to try because of how cheap it was. The #10 hi vis I got for my spinning rods is very thin (thinner than PP of the same pound test) and it has been great. No breakoffs or problems tying leaders. So then I picked up some #40 Kastking for fishing vegetation and it too has been great. Though I’d say it’s a little thicker than the comparable PP.

11. Member
    Sunline #50. The blue & black colored. Been using it for years. I have #30 backer and can get two reels out of a spool. Does not turn white like others I have used.
    1997 STRATOS 285 PE EVINRUDE INTRUDER 175

12. Member
    Ive used quite a few different 8 strand braids and to me they are not the same they have many differences weaves loose/tight, color fastness, strength, limpness and roundness and noise level to them. Superslick not as tight weave smackdown, smackdown not as limp as samurai, samurai not as round as ygk g-soul, ygk doesnt wind knot like gamma torque. Trilene holds its color the best and S8S is the most quiet 832 one of the noisiest. Smackdown seems the weakest vs others with same dia. S8S not all that round.

If I had to choose a braid for a trip of a limetime Id pick YGK G-Soul x8 to come with me.

13. Joe4d
    I really dont think very many factories are making this stuff. Few factories, lots of re packagers.
    I am going with the Kast King 9 strand this year.. I suspect it is the same stuff as the name brands at 3 times the price.

14. Mississippi River Rat Kittycat2012's Avatar
    Diawa Samurai to me is the best braid I’ve ever used. Obviously strong but very limp and quiet. Only drawback is the price but braid lasts so long to me it’s worth it
    2023 Basscat Eyra
    Mercury pro team - Humminbird - Bobs - Power Pole - Garmin
    Hammer Rods
    The Tackle Trap

http://www.hammerrods.com/
    http://tackletrap.com/

One thing to keep in mind is that lb test ratings of line - especially braid - are really arbitrary. Comparing diameters of one brand to another based on lb test ratings really doesn't make a whole lot of sense since braid almost always breaks at a much higher strain that the one it's rated for anyhow. Generally it seems you'll see JDM stuff be way thinner just because they rate it closer to its actual breaking strength, but even that rule doesn't always hold up. You'll even notice discrepancies within a given brand and model of line where their low lb tests are thin and higher are thick and things like that.

For example, if company A rates a given diameter 20 lb test and company B rates in 10 lb test, if you just look at their ratings you're gonna think company B's line is tougher, stiffer, noiser, and doesn't cast as well. This would be true even if the two lines were identical in every single way except the rating and brand name. I realize that doesn't explain all of the differences between brands, but it goes a long way in explaining them.

I also really don't mean for that to come off as condescending as it sounds. Tone is tough when text is all you've got. To be clear, I don't feel that braid is like tungsten where you can bet the farm that it's made in one of two factories in China and know for certain that any differences companies claim to have in quality are just examples of marketing run amok. Rather, I think that while their may be minor or even major differences in the widely available stuff in how the different lines handle, wear, hold their color, are manufactured, etc, even within "categories" (4 stand, 8 strand, etc), the differences in the grand scheme are really very minor.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

16. Member
    Differences arent minor a very limp line like gamma torque or samurai will likely wind knot more than stiffer line line YGK and when trying to pull that twist out line snaps. With equal diameters knot strengths vary considerably as much as 25% between some lines thats not minor. For your rationalizing logic all fc lines are the same and all monos are the same.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittycat2012 View Post
    Diawa Samurai to me is the best braid I’ve ever used. Obviously strong but very limp and quiet. Only drawback is the price but braid lasts so long to me it’s worth it
    Buy this and you'll never look back.. Best handling and quietest braid
    On the market.. 70lb for all my punching setups.. 55lb for throwing frogs..

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VictorM. View Post
    Buy this and you'll never look back.. Best handling and quietest braid
    On the market.. 70lb for all my punching setups.. 55lb for throwing frogs..
    I feel Super8Slck is quieter .009 vs .009 and .012 vs .013 lines and way less wind knots. Samurai is the worst braid I have used as far as wind knots go.

19. Member
    Not problem with wind knots when you have a 1.5oz weight and a 4/0 Owner Jungle Flipping hook on the business end..lol Never really had a problem with the 55lb throwing frogs either.. I have heard others say the lighter pound test doesn't do as well on spinning gear due to the limpness ..

20. Member
    832 is the old reliable. The Seaguar Smackdown was nice but 832 is my favorite.