Can someone school me on basics of fishing a blade bait(binsky style) etc...?

Never tried one before, whats a good size in terms of weight - how about color? What is basic retrieve with these? fish on braid or flouro?
    Thanks!

2. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by creekchub View Post
    Never tried one before, whats a good size in terms of weight - how about color? What is basic retrieve with these? fish on braid or flouro?
    Thanks!
    Look up RC Cooper.com. Great fisherman, and he has a excellent Video on fishing the Binsky..

3. Member
    I pretty much only throw them when the water is super cold, but here’s how I do it:

Color and weight- regular silver or chrome 1/2 oz is mostly what I use. I’ll go to 1/4 oz sometimes just to downsize.
    retrieve- make a long cast, let it hit bottom, lift the bait up with the rod just enough to feel it vibrate, let it fall back down to the bottom, pause and repeat. Sometimes I’ll try bigger or faster lifts to see if the fish are more aggressive. The bite is usually subtle. Your line will jump on the fall or pause, like fishing a jig, or you’ll go to lift the bait and a fish will just be on it.
    Line- I like fluorocarbon and I’ve thrown it on different sizes, but I’d recommend 12#.

Also, invest in a lure retriever if you don’t have one already. It’ll pay for itself on the first trip.

Mark Zona has a good YouTube video on how he throws it. It’s pretty much exactly how I just described, but you can watch him do it and catch fish on it.

60 deg. water temp or less. Let it fall to the bottom on semi-tight line so the hooks don't foul in the line. Most bites come on the fall during the retrieve, some will eat it off the bottom...I usually use a 3/4 -1oz, as I like the feel of the heavier bait better and ripping off weeds seems to get me a better reaction bite than lighter baits...just my experience. Can be vertically jigged as well.

2018 Cougar FTD/V8 250 Pro XS
    Colin Maple, Ft. Wayne IN
    IRONHEAD JIG Co. EST 2010

Quote Originally Posted by dabassking View Post
    I pretty much only throw them when the water is super cold, but here’s how I do it:

Color and weight- regular silver or chrome 1/2 oz is mostly what I use. I’ll go to 1/4 oz sometimes just to downsize.
    retrieve- make a long cast, let it hit bottom, lift the bait up with the rod just enough to feel it vibrate, let it fall back down to the bottom, pause and repeat. Sometimes I’ll try bigger or faster lifts to see if the fish are more aggressive. The bite is usually subtle. Your line will jump on the fall or pause, like fishing a jig, or you’ll go to lift the bait and a fish will just be on it.
    Line- I like fluorocarbon and I’ve thrown it on different sizes, but I’d recommend 12#.

Also, invest in a lure retriever if you don’t have one already. It’ll pay for itself on the first trip.

Mark Zona has a good YouTube video on how he throws it. It’s pretty much exactly how I just described, but you can watch him do it and catch fish on it.
    ^^ This, plus - For Smallies, sometimes after short hops, let it sit on the bottom for a few seconds. You can also let it sit and give it a little 'shake in place' or two and then go back to hopping it.
    No one can be wrong that often so it has to be deliberate.

Sometimes, instead of hopping it, just lift up your arm a little. More subtle action works well at times.And I have actually seen deadsticking them work....LOL Can you say “torture”

7. Member
    PM 21XDC (Mike Lohn). He’s an expert on fishing blade baits and makes many of his own. I contacted him on here and he had me give him a call. Talked to me for 30 minutes on the subject. Caught fish the first time out. He’s a great man

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dabassking View Post

Well said! Except I would also recommend a blade jig mold, you can make them for pennies, maybe a dollar after hooks and all.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenix5252 View Post
    Well said! Except I would also recommend a blade jig mold, you can make them for pennies, maybe a dollar after hooks and all.
    I did the same thing

10. Member
    Silver clear water. Gold stained. Lift rod till u feel it barely vibrate (approx. 8 in.) Lower to bottom and repeat. Most people over-work the bait, especially as the water gets 50degrees or lower.
    Dont set hook and let them swim down there. Set and reel hard for better hookup ratio. Let them tire at the boat.

11. Member
    I use them a good bit. Brinskys have 4 holes to tie the bait to. I prefer the back hole. It gives the bait the most vibration and works best for vertical jigging. If I see a school on the Downscan, I throw past them and let it sink to the bottom and reel it through them slowly. If I see them under the trolling motor, I drop down and just fish vertical. I also prefer the 1/2 an 3/4 oz size.