Need a good boat cover that won't break the bank!

I called a local boat cover place the other day and inquired about a cover for my boat. They said that they would need my boat for three days to custom fit a cover.....PRICE is $45.00 per foot! I know it is a good cover, but I am not going to spend that for a cover.

I don't want the cheap Wal-Mart $50.00 cover, so what is out there? I would really like one that is breathable and I don't need one that is trailer-able. The boat stays in my driveway or the covered boat slip.

2. Member

Re: Need a good boat cover that won't break the bank! (buddy_fuentes)

You can get a custom cover for around 300-600 depending on what material you choose. I choose the 100.00 Wal-Mart Semi Fit cover. It's not tight at all unless you mess with it for 30 minutes. Does help keep the rain out during trips. I won't pull with a cover, you loose 3-5 mpg when you do that.

3. Member
    I've never had a reason to trailer with a cover, but I see many that do. I just want to get a decent cover that will go on easily and won't break the bank.

How well does Wal-Mart cover fit the 19'? Is it vented? I wouldn't mind paying a few hundred if I could get something that was easy to use and fit well.

I bought a cover for my 18 and 19 ft xpress. They were offered by xpress from "westland company" and I was not impressed with the fit. http://www.westlandcovers.com/ But they might be better now as it has been a while.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

5. Member
    Thanks for the "heads up" I was thinking about calling them!

Re: (buddy_fuentes)

FYI... Looks like they have better material options now... I'd still call and see if they have what you need.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

7. Member

I bought one of these Cabela's Ratchet Lok covers ( http://www.cabelas.com/product...03480 ) for my Skeeter 2 years ago. Granted it stays under a carport most of the time ..... it's held up VERY well, especially for the money.

I like it enough that I want one for my 16' Xpress as well .... but unfortunately they don't make anything less than 17'.

the only thing about it I do not like is I bought the 18'6" model for my 18'5" Skeeter. It fit like a glove with my Maxxum, but as soon as I upgraded last year to a Fortrex, it became a little tighter in the front than I like (meaning it barely fits below the rub rail).

Hope this helps.
    '09 Ranger Z520 Silverado Edition / '09 Evinrude ETEC 250 HO
    '15 Xpress HD16DBX / Merc 59ci

8. Member

Re: Need a good boat cover that won't break the bank! (Ranger391v)

That looks great! I'll measure my boat and see if they have one that fits. God price and super features.

As they say in South Louisiana..."thank you too much"!

Buddy

9. Member

Re: (buddy_fuentes)

The Wal-Mart cover is vented, but it's really made for a dual console boat. Even saying that it fits really big.

10. Member

Re: (MrTotty)

I tried several from cabelas but my purpose was different,i was trying to keep a cat from getting under the cover and even with the rope cord pulled tight he found a way to crawl under that thing.I then went to aurora and had one made me my sv16,upon getting it the pocket for the trolling motor was not big enough,i sent it back,they removed the trolling motor pocket and made it longer but now it does not fit tight to the nose of the boat and leaves a fist size hole just under the bow.As for the cat,he still tried getting under it until i took him for a long ride with no return trip...

Re: (ThomasL)

you could have took him fishing with a 10 pound weight vest then push him in that way he would not find his way back

12 lbs 9 oz caught on 4/28/1975 Lake Eufaula

12. Member

Save your bucks and get yourself a Dowco, custom made to fit your boat. Must buy through a dealer but they will last and fit like you would want a cover to fit.

13. Member

You can go to iboats.com and custom order a boat cover. I did for my 19 DC. It fits like a glove on the Xpress and did not break the bank at $250.00 Of course that was about 6 years ago.....
    I only work to support my fishing habit......

14. Member
    Has anyone used these guys?

https://www.boatcoversdirect.com/

https://www.boatsuppliespartscarrot.com

https://www.auroracanvas.com/

I have a 1998 R91 sport with XI5 on the front. the Ranger cover is $1000 but this is a 20 year old boat and I have many places to spend money.
    Current: 1998 Ranger R91 Sport, 2003 Mercury 200HP EFI 2.5l, OT749297
    Smartcraft motor- analogue gauges
    NMEA2000 backbone for Motorguide Xi5 and Lowrance Elite Ti 9" connected to run trolling motor
    Separate Garmin 942xs 9", run off of trolling motor transducer, not NMEA2000 connected yet.

1st Boat: 1984
    Ranger 350v Raspberry, 1987 Mariner Magnum 150HP 6cyl

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buddy_fuentes View Post
    I called a local boat cover place the other day and inquired about a cover for my boat. They said that they would need my boat for three days to custom fit a cover.....PRICE is $45.00 per foot! I know it is a good cover, but I am not going to spend that for a cover.

I don't want the cheap Wal-Mart $50.00 cover, so what is out there? I would really like one that is breathable and I don't need one that is trailer-able. The boat stays in my driveway or the covered boat slip.

Check with a boat dealer near you for a cover that boats are shipped with. I got one for $75 from a Triton dealer near me. Never pulled trailer with it install but it kept boat inside very dry during several heavy rains here, sometimes with strong winds. It's vinyl with a fleece type backing and has air vents to. Had to get one that was longer than really needed to fit across the back but it worked out great as it also covered the top of the outboard.
    2008 H18 w/F115 Yamaha