Weird laptop issue

The last three days I have charged my laptop to 100% at night before I go to bed. But, when I try to log on at about 12:00 noon the next day, the computer says that the battery is low and I have to plug in the laptop to get it to boot up.

Any idea what the problem might be? Thanks for any help!
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

2. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    deep battery cell, an app not shutting down properly....
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

Time to buy a new battery......

When was the last time you ran diagnostics, antivirus, etc...

It could be a program that is not properly shutting down due to scan or other failing to close.

I would pull the battery, replace, start in safe mode, then run some scans to see if any programs come up with issues.
    Been fishin' since I was 5 years old...Thanks Grandpa!

5. California Fishing Moderator Captain Babito A7T3C's Avatar
    How old is the laptop?

Could be a bad battery, bad charger, resource intense applications (probably not so) draining. I'd remove and re-seat the battery into the laptop, possibly try charging it at a different spot then you had been as well just to rule out all outside factors. Money would be on the battery itself needing to be replaced..

If the laptop itself has been recently roughed up or dropped, could be a bad connection somewhere along the motherboard that's causing this. Doubt it though..
    2017 Nitro Z18 - Mercury ProXS 175 - 24P Fury - Elite 9 TI2 - Fortrex

We use Norton 360 and I ran a quick scan yesterday. Up until 3 days ago, the battery would last all day. It could be the battery, but I suspect that it's a program not shutting down, because my wife commented the other day that it booted right up after sitting idle for several hours. I suspect that it might be Firefox. Last evening I had an issue where every time I closed Firefox it would delete my log in to BBC. I looked around inside the Firefox settings and discovered that the "Clear all History when closing Firefox" box was checked in the Privacy and Security settings. I wonder if Firefox updated and now there is some issue with it not shutting down properly.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

7. Banned
    Bad battery. Replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    The last three days I have charged my laptop to 100% at night before I go to bed. But, when I try to log on at about 12:00 noon the next day, the computer says that the battery is low and I have to plug in the laptop to get it to boot up.

Virus from the Hub....

Maybe get out of bed before noon?

Should be a battery status indicator somewhere on that laptop, check it when you finally roll out of bed at noon. Probably a bad battery.

11. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar

Who controls John Gill?

Quote Originally Posted by Macsimus View Post
    Maybe get out of bed before noon?
    I'm up way before then! But, I usually browse on my I-Pad in the mornings. That being said, since I'm retired, I reserve the right to sleep as late as I want!
    Last edited by Jeff Hahn; 10-17-2018 at 12:52 PM.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hatcreek View Post

I need a new laptop. When is the best time to buy? What is the best brand, with a DVD burner?

14. Member
    Battery or the charger. Had to replace a charger before.

If the laptop is reporting the battery at full charge after charging only to self discharge a few hours later, that is a dead cell in the battery, not the charger. Quit attempting to charge that battery, bad lithium-ion cells are potentially subject to catching fire.