Help ID mercury lower unit

I picked this lower unit up from a guy closing his shop. He said it was from a 200 Merc but after looking on line for references, I’m beginning to think it may be from a smaller 90-115 HP opti, anyone familiar with these units available to help me figure out what it may be for? Looks to be in great shape so I’d like to have it put to good re-use.. any help is greatly appreciated. I did also post on the 2.5 thread but haven’t had any hits, that also is why I’m thinking it may not fit in the 2.4/2.5l realm.

Regards,
    Karl
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Likely from a 75/90/115 (such as on of the 3 cylinder Optimax models).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Thank you,
    EuropeanAM, what’s the difference between the lowers for the mid Optimax vs the 4Strokes?

Maybe I’ll dissect it as a learning tool.
    Last edited by Kzaker; 10-17-2018 at 08:39 PM.

I was just told that this is for a 4 Stroke, the top of the shaft has two sets of splines. Is there anywhere that I can find bolt patters or any other identifying characteristics?

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Case is the same- differences were in the driveshaft (which doesn't show complete in the above pictures), and the gear ratio.

You could check the gear ratio... same rules apply with it off the engine (just substitute driveshaft for flywheel).

Determining your Gearcase "Gear Ratio"- Without removing Gearcase

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor