Thread: Door County?

Door County?

How's the bite been on Door County? I was up there last year on this week and it was still too warm; they weren't really going yet. With this fall being much cooler, are they going gangbusters? I'm bummed as it doesn't look like I'll make it up this year, so I'll have to live vicariously through any updates here.

I've never really had a bad day up there unless it was flat calm and sunny fall, summer and spring.

3. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    Same here...

I'm coming up there next spring though!

Quote Originally Posted by bass-o-maticjm View Post
    I'm bummed as it doesn't look like I'll make it up this year, so I'll have to live vicariously through any updates here.

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

4. Member
    I was just up on Washington Island this past weekend. The wind made it really tough, 25+ from the W or SW on Thursday and Friday kept us on the north side of the island. We caught some but not a ton and no giants...best was 4.98 with a 4.56 and 4.3 something too. Water was 49, a little too cold in my experience unless you're using suckers. Even with that the bite was pretty tough. Caught some fish on blade baits and snapping 1/2 oz tubes, couple on a spybait. Went out for a bit on Saturday but there was at least a 40mph wind from the NW, temp was in the 30's and got sideways sleeted off the water, furthest you could go outside of Detroit harbor was the potato dock. Still had fun though.

Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    I was just up on Washington Island this past weekend. The wind made it really tough, 25+ from the W or SW on Thursday and Friday kept us on the north side of the island. We caught some but not a ton and no giants...best was 4.98 with a 4.56 and 4.3 something too. Water was 49, a little too cold in my experience unless you're using suckers. Even with that the bite was pretty tough. Caught some fish on blade baits and snapping 1/2 oz tubes, couple on a spybait. Went out for a bit on Saturday but there was at least a 40mph wind from the NW, temp was in the 30's and got sideways sleeted off the water, furthest you could go outside of Detroit harbor was the potato dock. Still had fun though.
    4.98 is not a giant It's on the list next year to catch at least one over 4 pounds.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fluke1987 View Post
    4.98 is not a giant It's on the list next year to catch at least one over 4 pounds.
    Not up there. 5's are pretty common.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish Boy View Post
    I've never really had a bad day up there unless it was flat calm and sunny fall, summer and spring.
    Most of the time but my two best days in Door were dead flat. One day just north of Sturgeon and one day on the island. I don't think the wind matters in the fall, if you hit the right water temp in the fall they just eat.

Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    Most of the time but my two best days in Door were dead flat. One day just north of Sturgeon and one day on the island. I don't think the wind matters in the fall, if you hit the right water temp in the fall they just eat.
    I could most definitely see that being more key than wind as well. Following those currents is big too!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fluke1987 View Post
    Don’t do it, catching the big ones are like crack. Its so bad, I spend a month every year chasing big smallmouth in Wisconsin.

10. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nmaxwell0003 View Post
    Don’t do it, catching the big ones are like crack. Its so bad, I spend a month every year chasing big smallmouth in Wisconsin.
    ^^^ This ^^^

And must be nice to fish for a month!!! #jealous!

I'm not coming up there until spring of next year and I've already got the twitch...

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live