Water in oil question

250 Pro XS 4 Serial # 2B571507. Changed my oil yesterday afternoon. Upon checking dipstick looked low after putting in 7qrts. Added 12 more oz. Looked better. I did read that you need to check it after an hour so all oil drains to bottom. I let it sit all night and pulled dipstick in the morning and it looked over filled. Hook clear hose to outlet nipple and proceeded to drain that 120z. back out. Heres the issue, the first few oz. were milky white and the oil didn't start to look like fresh oil until about 8 or 9oz were in the measuring cup. I have this in a glass jar now waiting for it to settle out. Curious as to why all oil and contaminants didn't drain out on initial drain? Ran motor on muffs before to get oil up to temp and after to circulate just for a few seconds. Could this possibly be normal or do I have an issue?
    Last edited by fuelleak; 10-17-2018 at 01:02 PM.

2. mikesxpress
    The oil drain nipple itself is open to the water surrounding it. (I put a rubber cap on mine)

If you suspect water, I recommend not running it anymore & getting it to a dealer ASAP

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    The oil drain nipple itself is open to the water surrounding it. (I put a rubber cap on mine)
    More milky looking stuff coming out than that nipple can hold.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Not knowing all of the details, it would be very wise to have this inspected by your dealer. Some condensation occurs inside the engine, but what you are describing (note, we can't "see" it) doesn't sound normal.

Make sure you don't have signs of water or condensation in any of your oil containers.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Not knowing all of the details, it would be very wise to have this inspected by your dealer. Some condensation occurs inside the engine, but what you are describing (note, we can't "see" it) doesn't sound normal.

Make sure you don't have signs of water or condensation in any of your oil containers.
    Thanks Don, containers were fresh Merc 10-30 oil. What do you think about starting the motor again on the muffs for a few minutes, letting it sit overnight and opening the nipple again and see what comes out?

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Having not seen what you are referring to as "milky"- I would not recommend running the engine until someone knowledgeable has "seen" what you drained out.

Perhaps put it in a glass jar and take a picture to post.

Strange, since you had both "jet black" and "milky" substances back to back, basically....

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

You referenced it being as dark as coal before YOU changed your oil and milky now... Something you did isn't right.. I'd definitely take it in & not run it before you hurt it.

9. Member
    21x, all I did was drain out oil, change filter then add fresh. My only mistake was adding an extra 12oz. thinking the level appeared low. That was removed. What could I have possibly done wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by fuelleak View Post
    21x, all I did was drain out oil, change filter then add fresh. My only mistake was adding an extra 12oz. thinking the level appeared low. That was removed. What could I have possibly done wrong?
    Couldn't tell ya without looking at it. Take it to a dealer for propper diagnosis. No one here can tell you what's wrong

11. Member
    Boat is at dealer with 3 separate samples of oil. The initial drain, the second drain of the slight over fill and a 3rd small drain I did this morning to see if anymore water was present which there was, a slight amount. Ill let you know what the dealer finds. Thanks for the advice guys.

12. Member
    Sooo, dealer said motor passed all pressure tests and whatever Mercury wanted them to do. They Ran it on muffs, tried to replicate what I did and didn't get any water in oil. I haven't picked it up yet because dealer said they are waiting for Merc to sign off on this. Still like to know where that original water came from and I wonder what they mean by Mercury signing off on it?

There are 3 orings on the oil drain valve. I'd make sure they're still in tact. It may leak water in due to the orings being smashed. Strange to say the least.

14. Member
    Wouldn't oil leak out if the o rings weren't doing their job?

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Not necessarily.

16. Member
    Ill call the dealer and ask him about that. Thanks

17. Member
    How many turns out did you turn the drain nipple?
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

18. Member
    [QUOTE=howieranger;9753891]How many turns out did you turn the drain nipple?[/QUOTE
    Just enough to see oil flow, maybe 2 to 3? Asked dealer if drain plug acted OK and he confirmed it was good.

19. Member
    Picked up boat and dealer told me that Mercury believes I had a stuck thermostat and motor was running too cold at some point and caused excessive condensation. They said run it and are aware of the issue. I never saw temps that cold on my Vessel View but that isn't really anything to go on as it constantly disconnected all summer. Odd is all I can say.

20. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Good that you documented the situation (though your dealer probably had an interesting time with this).