Thread: This is silly

Question This is silly

Just a question but I have a 921 with manual jack plate and a 25p fury. Loaded heavy. I've had this boat for a year now and love it and have been in boats since I can remember.

I took my older father fishing over the weekend and the wind was bad and after like three waves he was yelling to slow down I can't handle it. Granted I was only doing 35 thinking I was being slow and smooth for him.

I have been in some big stuff with this boat and love the way it handles waves and what I consider safe travel in the conditions.

Well to ask my question I have never come close to punching a wave in this boat but doing 20-23 mph in some rollers I was getting the nose pushed down to the next wave by the wave I was going over and I was trying all different trim angles and letting off or goosing it to get to the next one. I was trying not to just drop the butt of the boat and stick the nose in the air because the principal of it but to make a long story short I went right through one.

Just asking for a little advice on slower speeds other the just tucking the butt of the boat and riding the waves They weren't that big in mop. and I wasn't just going straight with the waves I was tacking as best that I could.

FYI If my father wasn't with me I believe 35-50 is the speed that I would of been doing and just jumping from wave to wave I'm going to say 2-4ft rollers down wind
    2015 Phoenix 921 Mercury 250 Pro XS

2. Member
    Interesting, I have a 919 and have run some rough water a few times this summer and with a full load, 2 people ran with motor tucked in, and about 50% up on JP and ran 50+ with no slapping of the bow. The guy I was with commented it was a really soft ride. I also am running a 4 blade so that might make a diff. Slower is not always better IMO in rough water.
    Risen From The Ashes!!

3. Member
    My last phoenix was a 721. It rode smoother at a decent roll in rough water than when you tried to take it easy in em. I ordered a PHX 21 so it will be interesting to see how it rides

4. Banned
    I'm going to assume by 2-4 foot rollers you actually mean 1-2 foot waves as wave height is essentially half the distance from the top of the wave to the bottom of the trough.... Assuming that, here are my thoughts based on how I would run them (for comfort) in my 721.

1. I would have my hydraulic jack plate all the way down and I would definitely be running faster than 20-23 mph in order to span the distance between wave crests. Running 20-23 mph makes for a rougher ride in those conditions than running 35 - 50 mph IMHO.

2. You have a 921 with a manual jackplate, why? I still don't understand why Phoenix doesn't equip their flagship boats with a hydraulic jackplate standard. Makes zero sense to me.

djd

5. Member
    I've never had an issue until I was going slower. Love the way that boat handles water. I will have a Hydro one day but in the middle of renovation my house right now. When I say slapping I'm talking about the wave right at the nose of the bow and splashing over. I just never ran the boat at that slow of a speed. I didn't find the the ride rough. I normally run faster as stated above. I just think that pops got a little worried when the boat came off a wave and got to the next and heard the prop come out of the water. Again hydro jack plate down he would of never know but don't have one. Guess I'll just tuck and crawl in the bigger stuff with him in the boat.

djd Donations are welcomed for the Jackplate btw

6. Member
    Wave height is bottom to top, not half the distance. Lot of people get that confused.

7. Member
    Were you on Rayburn or toledo? You can go to slow for some waves and the boat will start getting off sequence or riding up and down and start crashing the nose. Theres a good speed for all conditions, sometimes its fast and sometimes it's slow. You should have slowed down and told your dad "see now its worse" then sped back up. With people in my boat I just go the softest speed for what we're in. Unless it's my tournament partner, he just better hang on lol. He doesnt get scared though, hes been through some crazy waves with me before I really knew how to drive and we both got beat to crap and surprised I didnt break a boat in half a couple times

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    Were you on Rayburn or toledo? You can go to slow for some waves and the boat will start getting off sequence or riding up and down and start crashing the nose. Theres a good speed for all conditions, sometimes its fast and sometimes it's slow. You should have slowed down and told your dad "see now its worse" then sped back up. With people in my boat I just go the softest speed for what we're in. Unless it's my tournament partner, he just better hang on lol. He doesnt get scared though, hes been through some crazy waves with me before I really knew how to drive and we both got beat to crap and surprised I didnt break a boat in half a couple times

Rayburn! We all know how parents are. Never dreamed I would of punched a wave in the stuff I have been in with that boat on both lakes.
    Same here he's been with me in worse stuff in my old procraft 210 getting pounded to death and soaked like you were taking a bath. Oh well I'll just crawl around when he's with me. Some very heated words were said after the boat came out of the water. lol

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by speckandred View Post
    Rayburn! We all know how parents are. Never dreamed I would of punched a wave in the stuff I have been in with that boat on both lakes.
    Same here he's been with me in worse stuff in my old procraft 210 getting pounded to death and soaked like you were taking a bath. Oh well I'll just crawl around when he's with me. Some very heated words were said after the boat came out of the water. lol
    Lol. I bet yall will laugh at it later though

10. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    If you would have been by yourself, i'm sure there wouldnt have been an "issue" as you would have rode the wave like you always do and not get wet.....but since your dad was with you, it was different.....he may have not notice how slow you were going and going slower made it worst......

My wife is the same way, if the boat could go the 10 mph in the wind it would be just fine, just cant do it.....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

11. Member
    It’s always worse for any passenger as we, the boat drivers, have a better feel for anticipating the next wave.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ch View Post
    It’s always worse for any passenger as we, the boat drivers, have a better feel for anticipating the next wave.
    This is true. I really dont see why as they can see everything just as good but it is true