buzzbaits....riding on its side....

so i used to throw them often got away from them for a couple years......tied a few on this year and they ALL ride on their sides. I ALWAYS have a horny toad on it also.....I have adjusted, EVERYTHING and they still ride on their side. What say you to fix the issue?
    You should know that in bee tending if you don't shut your trap the bees will get out.

2. Member
    Heavier buzzbait or use scissors and trim down both sides of the toad. The toad is wanting to plane causing the bait to list, or slow down the retrieve. Make sure the toad is exactly centered. The toad is removing all ballast of the buzzbait.

I have found also like stated above that heavier buzzers don't seem to do this like a 1/4 will. I have taken those old fashion sinkers with the rubber in them and removed it and then pinched it on the hook to make it heavier for a 1/4 or 1/8 bait.

I was fighting this on a batch of War Eagles I snagged from Wal Mart online when they randomly had them on sale for $0.88 last year. (Best deal I've ever gotten, by the way). I ended up fixing them by giving them the highway treatment; that is, holding them out the window for 5 miles or so going down the interstate. Just be careful how you hold them as that blade will get you when it's spinning at that speed! I've always done that to get a better squeak from them, but it had never occurred to me that it might make them run better.

If I'm totally honest, I can't figure out the physics of why that might've helped. I noticed that the blades felt a little "tight" and it wasn't coming from the crimp, so I just went ahead and tried it before throwing them out. It still doesn't make sense in my mind that it could've stopped them from wanting to roll over. Best I can come up with is that maybe the blade was catching the water and tipping over due to the extra resistance, and that the highway loosened it up and removed that resistance allowing the blade to spin freely instead of pulling the bait over when it tried to spin.

In any case, given that you've tried all the classic suggestions, it can't hurt to try it!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

5. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Since I switched my buzzbaits to the Strike King Swinging Sugar Buzz I have found myself reaching for my older buzzbaits less and less. I like how the hook pivots allowing me to tune the bait easier. That said, Drew’s technique works....as always! I had one of the 4 I bought run perfect, the other 3 ran sideways and the ONLY visible difference was that the blade was slightly tighter feeling.

I taped them them to my boat in a way that the blade could spin at 70mph for a bit and they “loosened up” and now work very well.

I do notice that if there is ANYTHING on the shaft of the buzz blade it simply won’t track. I’m even making sure the bend at the end of the shaft that holds the rivet style holder on is bent the same way and I snip the wire as close to that rivet as possible.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

6. Member
    Ive noticed that when I make a long cast with a buzz bait that it tends to start riding on its side about half way back to the boat, I simply lower my rod tip as the bait gets closer back to the boat and the bait corrects itsself

7. Member
    I'm glad you posted this. I bought some new 1/4oz. buzzbaits over the winter that roll over to the buzzbaits right and also track in that direction I've been trying to tune them; with no success; and it's been driving me up the wall. They weren't cheap ones either. I'm going to try some of these tips.

Single bladed buzzbaits will track to one side or the other, depending on which way the blade turns. There's no getting around that. But, they should not roll onto their side. If they do, slow down your retrieve and they should right themselves.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

9. Member
    i havent thrown a single blade buzzbait in years, i started making doubles about 8 years ago and catch fish eveywhere . slow or fast it always tracks right.

10. Member
    Ok....so I watch the "pro's" tie on a buzzbait and thread on a new frog (zoom) and toss it out. Frustrating...cause I bought 2 new buzzbaits this year atop the few i had and NONE work. I have all sizes 1/8,1/4,3/8,1/2.
    You should know that in bee tending if you don't shut your trap the bees will get out.

11. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    That’s editing! They’re making a 24 min show that they taped over 3 days, don’t get caught up in that. Take the ones you have and try modifying them. A bend here and there can make a big difference. I spend a lot of time tuning buzzbaits in a little pond on the golf course before they get to the lake. I rarely get one that runs true out of the package.

Your rod action and reel retrieve ratio play an important role with buzzbaits too. Some people love them, some never use them. Personally I love the throw them alone weed edges and through sparse pad fields just to see the explosion!

Very few baits draw the strikes that a buzzbait can.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassVoodoo View Post
    Ok....so I watch the "pro's" tie on a buzzbait and thread on a new frog (zoom) and toss it out. Frustrating...cause I bought 2 new buzzbaits this year atop the few i had and NONE work. I have all sizes 1/8,1/4,3/8,1/2.
    You can be sure those baits were not straight out of the package. Those were tuned up in their off time, ready to go. I often wonder how many went in the trash before they found some to save.

There are a few things to look at if your buzzbait is rolling over.
    1. Make sure the blade is rotating freely. This is why people hang the buzzbait outside of the vehicle. That will wear in the rotating blade, wire shaft, and rivet.
    2. Cup of the blade. The more the blade is cupped the more torque is put on the bait and will cause it to try to roll. Either slow down your retrieve speed or flatten the blade just a little bit.
    3. Weight of the lure. That is the ballast and what keeps the head of the bait down. Use a heavier weight.
    4. If you are using a frog on a buzzbait make sure the nose is streamlined. If you trim the bait and leave a bigger blunt nose that is going to cause a lot of drag which will cause the bait to try to roll. If you are going to trim a frog then taper the nose after you trim the bait.
    Brad Whitaker
    whittyoutdoors.com --- Use code BBC5 at checkout for 5% off
    Whitty Outdoors handmade crankbaits

08 Stratos 201XL 250 HO E-tec
    05 Weld-Craft 1852 semi-v 115/80 Mercury jetdrive

14. Banned
    Where did You ever find a "Sidewinder™"?

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by clearlake outdoors View Post
    i havent thrown a single blade buzzbait in years, i started making doubles about 8 years ago and catch fish eveywhere . slow or fast it always tracks right.
    This is how I fixed the problem as well.

Allen