Anything new coming out in trolling motors for 2019?

A number of years ago the MG Tour 36v was the best thing going, now it is the Ultrex with maybe the Ulterra. Is anything new around the corner for 2019?

Right now now I am looking at getting rid of my 3 MG Tour Editions and getting an Ultrex but just asking if the next new thing is right around the corner.

My main style of fishing is Freshwater Bass fishing from a bass boat.

Minnkota motors with a built-in MEGA DI transducer for Humminbird unit’s.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    The only thing I see is the Ultrex/Ulterra/Terrova/Fortrex with the MDI transducer installed for the Humminbird bird Mega users.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

4. Member
    Wow, it surely slowed down a bit. I guess the people with Garmin or Lowrance cannot benefit from anything new coming out. Suprised Motorguide dont step up their game with Lowrance or Garmin.

5. Member
    Word on the street toward the end of last year was that Garmin was looking into coming out with a trollingmotor. Motorguide is leaning more toward the Xi5 series of motors and still having trouble getting the X5 OK. Personally, I look for a price increase on Motorguides to come out if the trade / import taxes continue. Most of the Motorguide product is now being made in china, as are components going into the Lowrances. Just an opinion
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

6. Member
    I look for motorguide to fold if they cant come out with something comparable to the ultrex. No telling how many customers they lost when they quit the tour models and then the ultrex came out

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    I look for motorguide to fold if they cant come out with something comparable to the ultrex. No telling how many customers they lost when they quit the tour models and then the ultrex came out
    If this is any measure of success at the BassMaster Classic Motorguide only has a very small booth and we’re showing an X3! I did not see any Motorguides on the competitors boats but I could have missed them.

I think Motorguide decided to focus on walleye anglers and I do like the Xi5 better than a Terrova. But guys who want the self deploy feature are going to go with the Ulterra ofcourse. So I would say motorguide only has half of that market. However if Motorguide doesn't come out with something to compete with the Ultrex they can kiss the bass market good bye. Fewer and fewer are running Motorguides on the circuits. When they came out with the Xi3 it was a huge let down to myself and others but if I were in the market for a budget trolling motor it would be the Xi3 so i can see where Motorguide's train of thought was.

9. Member
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    +1 I'm one already

Xi5 is a good bass Tm. Just have to understand it plus, with Lowrance electronics, it’s a even better combination. Not all will agree but the Anchor function is better than spot lock. All have issues and now I see a lot of ultrex issues. MG Tour was the best back then
    JEFF MURRAY USMC
    RANGER Z521C & 15 VERADO PRO 250
    DEEP CREEK LURES and ROSE JIGS
    GREENFISH TACKLE and ALX RODS

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2500 View Post
    Xi5 is a good bass Tm. Just have to understand it plus, with Lowrance electronics, it’s a even better combination. Not all will agree but the Anchor function is better than spot lock. All have issues and now I see a lot of ultrex issues. MG Tour was the best back then
    Having had both the Xi5 and an Ultrex I agree and disagree with your comment. Xi5 is a good TM if you don't need the foot pedal for your style of fishing. In fact I liked mine better than the Ultrex for maintaining a course heading and overall power to move the boat. I think it was easier on the batteries so if you are trolling all day like the walleye guys may be a benefit. Spot lock and anchor mode are virtually comparable. When trolling in and out of docks or around cover however the Ultrex is a dream in comparison to manipulating the Xi5. I also prefer the placement of the spot lock button on the Ultrex. It makes anchoring while fighting a fish in current much easier. There are other more minor differences that I like about one over the other but IMO your style of fishing should be the real driver in which TM you choose.

12. Member
    Garmin and Lowrance are coming out with Trolling Motors.....The Garmin will not be for sale until next year however.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bass View Post
    Garmin and Lowrance are coming out with Trolling Motors.....The Garmin will not be for sale until next year however.
    I'd love to see some proof of this. I have been asking Garmin sales reps (including regional reps) from 3 states for 2 years if they were working on one. The closest I get to a "real" answer is when one rep said "I can neither confirm or deny..." with a shit-eating grin on his face. I have heard rumors as well, including Garmin trolling motor with a brushless motor. That would be sweet!

14. Member
    What happened to the YouTube video with Mike Mcclelland and a supposedly top secret Motorguide under a black.cover? Said there were 3 or 4 guys testing it.

15. Member
    Lowrance is coming out with one as well and MG is supposed to be, I believe at iCast2019