Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooting Transducer thru an aluminum hull

Had a few email about Shooting a transducer thru the hull so here is what I did:

Tools you'll need:

I put mine on the bottom step on one side of the center weld.
    First you need to make a flat area where you are going to mount the transducer. Sand all the paint, weld splatter, etc… down so you have a nice clean flat surface.

Finish with a sanding of 400 or 600 grit paper.

Wash the area and vacuum out. Degreaser the area a couple of times. Wipe the area down with some acetone and finally wipe it down with some alcohol. The area has to be as clean as you can get it if you haven’t already got the picture with the above instructions.

Now you need to make a ring around where the transducer is going to go the keep the epoxy in place while it sets up. Plumbers putty works well for this.

Just place the transducer in the cleaned area and make a ring with the putty that’s about ½” away from the entire perimeter of the transducer so when you pour the epoxy in it doesn’t run all over the place.

Now for the epoxy which is the tricky part. You need a 2 part epoxy that has a long cure time “working time”. Get the longest working time you can find, I think mine was a 2 hours but if I could of found 12 hour I would of used it. When you mix the epoxy you can’t get any air bubbles in it. I squirt the epoxy in the bottom corner of a zip lock or sandwich bag then twist the bag so there is just a ball of epoxy in on corner. Then squeeze and roll the ball to mix the epoxy.

Once it is all mixed cut a little corner of the bag off and squeeze the epoxy into the ring you made out of the putty.

Then push the transducer into the puddle of epoxy and put a weight on top of the transducer to keep it in place while the epoxy cures.

Clear as mud?

Oh a puck transducer works the best. I haven't tried any other style.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JR250SHO; 04-09-2013 at 08:04 PM.
    2013 Xpress X-21 Team - Yamaha 250SHO - 12" Hydraulic

2. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar

Re: Shooting Transducer thru an aluminum hull (jr225ho)

I have used the Aluaducer that is made to shoot though up to .120 Aluminum and it works Great.
    Fedxpress

3. Member

Re: Shooting Transducer thru an aluminum hull (FedXpress)

I followed JR's instructions to the letter and epoxied the transducer that came with my Zercon flasher and it works great. It is not a puck type, but it worked fine.

4. Member

Re: Shooting Transducer thru an aluminum hull (FedXpress)

Has anyone else had success with the Alumaducer ? I am having problems with my Lowrance X125 losing the bottom after my HD18CC planes off.

5. Member

Re: Shooting Transducer thru an aluminum hull (Bama Stripes)

I've had an Alumiducer in two Xpress's and they worked great in both. The most important thing is installation and having no bubbles in the epoxy. Place it as near the drain plug as possible without being in the way of anything else and a hair to one side or the other of the center weld on the pad.

I can usually get a pretty good picture of the bottom up to 50 or 55 mph...I don't really have a need to be able to see any detail at speeds faster than that because you are covering so much distance by the time you see something you've already gone a couple hundred feet and I've got lots more stuff going on to worry about and I'm not looking at the depth finder at 75+ mph...

6. Member

Re: Shooting Transducer thru an aluminum hull (Maxpress)

Thanks for the information ! Do you feel the detail you see while idleing is as good as a transom mounted unit ? I fish for stripe and need to find schools of bait.

7. Member

Yes, no doubt it works as good or better than a transom mount transducer for me

8. Member

Re: Shooting Transducer thru an aluminum hull (Maxpress)

Has anyone ever taken a picture of the finish product that they can post?

9. Member

Re: Shooting Transducer thru an aluminum hull (Brettl)

I installed the Alumaducer on my new HD18CC and it works great (my dealer, Lowrance, & Xpress could not get the X125 to read once boat was on plane).

I get positive bottom readings as fast as she will go (45 mph). Detail is clear, I can now follow schools of shad chasing stipers.

I highly recommend this product !!!!!!!

Modified by Bama Stripes at 10:26 AM 2/20/2008

10. Member

The best way to make a transducer shoot thru a alum. hull is to use a pvc pipe coupling. The dia. of pipe is based on the size of u're transducer. For instance
    if get a 6" dia x 8" lg. pipe. Make sure the boat surface is clean. Put silicone around one side of the pipe end, maybe 1/4" thick. Place to bottom of boat with a slight turn to make sure the spread is even. Let cure and place transducer in pipe and fill with water. It will read at any speed you go. If u have a double hull alum. floor bottom boat, it won't work...only on single floor bottom...

11. Member

Re: Shooting Transducer thru an aluminum hull (ILUV2FISH)

well finally broke off my transducer for the second time, so I followed jr's instructions to the letter and epoxied my transducer on the inside right next to the drain plug, which was the only open space on the bottom. that was a job in itself, and I really hope it works. my only question was how much epoxy to use, my transducer is about half submerged. will let you know if it works or not, and thanks for the instructions.
    Xpress 21 - 200 Optimax

12. Member

Re: Shooting Transducer thru an aluminum hull (Optimax200)

man that works great, I was very surprised.
    Xpress 21 - 200 Optimax

13. Member

Re: Shooting Transducer thru an aluminum hull (Optimax200)

I contacted humminbird and was told that they don't make a transducer that will shoot through an aluminum hull. My transome mounted transducer got knocked off the other day and I'm reluctant to put another one on the transom. I'm currently using a humminbird 363 graph/gps. Will the normal "arrowhead" shaped transducer work or do I need a special transducer to shoot through the hull? Thanks,

Silver 2008 X19, 150hp Yamaha four stroke

14. Moderator

Re: Shooting Transducer thru an aluminum hull (Rincon650)

If yours is broke anyway try it. I think it will still work but I have only tried the puck style.

15. Member

Well, the problem is I actually lost the transducer. All I have left hanging off the back of the transom is a wire and half of the bracket. Does anyone know if humminbird makes a puck style transducer? If I get another transducer and place it on the bottom of the hull and submerge it in expoxy, if it doesn't work, how do you remove it?

16. Moderator

Re: Shooting Transducer thru an aluminum hull (Rincon650)

Acetone will soften up the epoxy enough for removal.

17. Member

Go with an Alumaducer, it solves the problem of shooting thru an aluminum hull.

18. Member

I beat up the pad on mine a few years back. Had another pad bent out of .125 alum, about six feet long, and welded it on top of beat up pad. A transducer probably wouldn't work on this would it?

19. Moderator

Re: Shooting Transducer thru an aluminum hull (RipX21)

No, not on a double hull. Did you do it on all the steps or just the bottom?

20. Member

I looked at the alumaducer on their website. I think this is the product that I'm going with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast