Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Shooting Transducer thru an aluminum hull

Had a few email about Shooting a transducer thru the hull so here is what I did:

Tools you'll need:

I put mine on the bottom step on one side of the center weld.
    First you need to make a flat area where you are going to mount the transducer. Sand all the paint, weld splatter, etc… down so you have a nice clean flat surface.

Finish with a sanding of 400 or 600 grit paper.

Wash the area and vacuum out. Degreaser the area a couple of times. Wipe the area down with some acetone and finally wipe it down with some alcohol. The area has to be as clean as you can get it if you haven’t already got the picture with the above instructions.

Now you need to make a ring around where the transducer is going to go the keep the epoxy in place while it sets up. Plumbers putty works well for this.

Just place the transducer in the cleaned area and make a ring with the putty that’s about ½” away from the entire perimeter of the transducer so when you pour the epoxy in it doesn’t run all over the place.

Now for the epoxy which is the tricky part. You need a 2 part epoxy that has a long cure time “working time”. Get the longest working time you can find, I think mine was a 2 hours but if I could of found 12 hour I would of used it. When you mix the epoxy you can’t get any air bubbles in it. I squirt the epoxy in the bottom corner of a zip lock or sandwich bag then twist the bag so there is just a ball of epoxy in on corner. Then squeeze and roll the ball to mix the epoxy.

Once it is all mixed cut a little corner of the bag off and squeeze the epoxy into the ring you made out of the putty.

Then push the transducer into the puddle of epoxy and put a weight on top of the transducer to keep it in place while the epoxy cures.

Clear as mud?

Oh a puck transducer works the best. I haven't tried any other style.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JR250SHO; 04-09-2013 at 08:04 PM.
    2013 Xpress X-21 Team - Yamaha 250SHO - 12" Hydraulic

Don't get the Alumaducer...I had mine for all of 5 minutes and it broke on me...When it was working the reading was terrible anyways...

3. Mike Lamb
    Last comment on this tread was 2018.

What is the best option for 2d sonar for shoot thru the hull for xpress?
    Michael Lamb
    2017 / Ranger 518c 200 Mercury Pro XS
    Raleigh, NC