Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

i felt threatened on the river

Last week I was on the river salmon fishing. I was in waist deep water when this drift boat came down the river. As is always the case, those of us in the river on foot move out of the way for the drift boats. I guess I didn't move far enough and got some feedback from one guide. I was asked "hows the snagging going?" I ignored. "thanks for moving" was next. I ignored... "maybe the next guy will just hit ya" Now my response was "maybe the next guy will take an ass whooping".... Down went his anchor and out he jumped.... This big dude called me out while we both stood in waist deep water with a crazy current. He's, 50' away calling me out... I'm not a big dude, 185 and 5' 10", but I can defend myself, Gotta admit I was nervous. Do I pull my weapon, point it in his forehead and tell him to get back in his boat and float away? or do i make him float away? I held my ground and so did he, but god damn you gotta watch out in this new world we live in... it was way too close. I was scared and if he tried to grab me in that deep water he could have drowned me easily... It would have never gotten that far.. I'd have sunk his ass!!!! The world we live in has changed my friends!!!!

2. Banned
    Well you did open your mouth, not saying he didn't deserve it but your comment is what escalated it.

Only pull a gun if you are going to shoot. That is not a situation that deserves shooting, you would be in the wrong.
    99 Ranger 217 Cherokee w/115hp Evinrude

I guess there are rednecks everywhere. It doesn’t pay to try and teach anyone a lesson anymore, no matt r how much they need it. How did you have a firearm in your communist state?
    You can lead a horticulture,
    but you can't make her think.

5. Member
    Should have said, snaggins not too good but yo mama is. Then run like hell.
    Praying for a Cure

Quote Originally Posted by chsapeak View Post
    Now my response was "maybe the next guy will take an ass whooping".
    You asked for it friend...you can't whoop his ass if he doesn't come to you..seriously though your reaction (none) to the first two jerks was more appropriate in my opinion.

Point your weapon for getting called out on YOUR ass whoopin' threat......seriously?

8. Member
    If your gonna say stuff like I’m gonna whoop some ass... be ready to back it up. That’s what’s wrong this world everyone wants to be a tough guy. Pull that gun and be ready to goto jail. Like someone said above only reason to ever pull a gun is to shoot.

So... How was the snagging?

Quote Originally Posted by 188Musky View Post
    So... How was the snagging?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wildturkey View Post
    Should have said, snaggins not too good but yo mama is. Then run like hell.
    haha...

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Point your weapon for getting called out on YOUR ass whoopin' threat......seriously?
    make my day.... haha

I've got to admit, you sounded like the ass in this story. They ask how's the snaggin' and you ignore. They say "thanks for moving" and you ignore. The first time you speak you're threatening them? Yeah, doesn't make you sound too good. Good way to get into a lot of trouble, friend.
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    2005 Lund Rebel SS 1650 w/25 HP Merc 4-stroke
    USAF 1985 - 2006 NKAWTG!

14. Member
    Sounds like a case of little man syndrome

15. Member
    First off if you were wading it is the folks boating down the river that must navigate safely by avoiding you. Secondly whoopin' some ass was totally OK in that situation but if you are going to go that route you best be ready to go. IMO you acted like a fool. If you are going to make a threat like that finish it like a man.

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chsapeak View Post
    ... I'm not a big dude, 185 and 5' 10", but I can defend myself, Gotta admit I was nervous. Do I pull my weapon, point it in his forehead and tell him to get back in his boat and float away? or do i make him float away? I held my ground and so did he, but god damn you gotta watch out in this new world we live in... it was way too close. I was scared and if he tried to grab me in that deep water he could have drowned me easily... It would have never gotten that far.. I'd have sunk his ass!!!! The world we live in has changed my friends!!!!
    The phrase "I can defend myself" and "Do I pull my weapon" should be spread out more. Another query? So could He of drowned or not?

And it is because of folks like You "The world we live in has changed..." I don't EVER remember going fishing w/a gadget, EVER and I still get Parole updates every 6 months of folks I put in prison..

I'm sorry.. I just saw You were from the Hudson River area, that headless horseman and all...

Not sure if you're talking Salmon River. By the bridge In Pulaski I saw some fights. Never fished there, just went to see the crap show. A little ways upstream I could wave a fly pole and catch a few and be by myself without the idiot circus. Later in the year I could get some steelhead. Not snagging or 'lifting'. It was fun. Had a guy I worked with come back and say he was shot at from across the river. Couple of downstaters (read:longuyland) wanted fish. Jim was hitting steelhead and releasing them. Guys wanted him to pass them over and when he released another fish one of the fools took a couple shots his way. That was in the 83-87 time frame. Big rains came one year and blew the best hole out. It was an unwritten fly guy only area. 'twas fun times.

18. Member
    So how did this end? Did you shoot him or loose your nerve?
    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.

--Voltaire

19. Member
    Never understood fighting but can't fight now a days for some coward pulling a gun. You are right the world we living in has changed. You started crap and want to pull a gun. What a goober

20. Member
    So the same guide made all 3 comments including "maybe the next guy will just hit you". I wonder what his client thought. Just making sure I understand the scenario.
    2000 Champion 186
    '98 Yamaha 150

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast