HELP !!! 2008 RANGER Z20

https://www.thayersmarine.com/invent...06360-2461849i

Hey all. Im looking at buying this ranger. It has a 2014 SHO with about 300 hours and 2 HB helix 10s. Listed price is 34k. Just curious what you guys think about this.... too high ??? What would be a reasonable price???

2. Member
    I had a '07 z20 in excellent condition that I traded last year and got about $24,000. The new motor will add value but I would
    offer $32,000. They are a good boat not the best rough water ride but they are fast and nimble. Good luck

3. Member
    Nice boat there, but I owned a Z20 for ten years and here's a couple of things to consider at that price mark:

1. That vintage of trailer had serious weld issues on the axle. The seller may have already addressed this but I'd check it out. Use of the Tie-Down axle / braking system on their trailers was not one of Ranger's proudest moments to say the least.

2. As noted above, the Z20 fishes like a dock but rough water ride and bow lift are not two of its best attributes. For 34k I'd be looking at a used Z520 / 250 which you can find in that same price range.

Hope this helps.
    2006 Ranger Z20 / 225HP Merc Pro XS

4. Member
    I bought that boat (pick it up next weekend). They are fixing the axle issue for me. in 2013 Ranger replaced the top cap, bow, decking, latches and put the SHO on it. The boat looks brand new and at the end of 2013 they put the SHO and Fortrex on. looking forward to getting it on the water (when the ice goes away).
    Scott Doughty
    2022 Skeeter ZX225 - 2022 Yamaha 225 SHO
    Salem, NH

5. Member
    They really did right by you! That's going to a sweet rig! Congrats!
    2006 Ranger Z20 / 225HP Merc Pro XS

I think you got a great deal ! Be happy and go fishing, lol !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

7. Banned
    Congratulations, that is a dandy Ranger and will last you for years to come

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ericm View Post
    Nice boat there, but I owned a Z20 for ten years and here's a couple of things to consider at that price mark:

1. That vintage of trailer had serious weld issues on the axle. The seller may have already addressed this but I'd check it out. Use of the Tie-Down axle / braking system on their trailers was not one of Ranger's proudest moments to say the least.

2. As noted above, the Z20 fishes like a dock but rough water ride and bow lift are not two of its best attributes. For 34k I'd be looking at a used Z520 / 250 which you can find in that same price range.

Hope this helps.
    I have a 2007 Z21. Do you have more details on the axle weld issues?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jjbz21 View Post
    I have a 2007 Z21. Do you have more details on the axle weld issues?
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=365277

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OH_Ranger View Post
    Thanks.

11. Member
    I just read that entire post. Crazy. I would have expected quality control to find things like this.

I went out and did a quick check of mine and I don't even need to remove the road armor to see the horrible welds. Mine look like the newer ones (based on that other thread) but still they look terrible. They burned completely through the axle in one place. I can see the rubber for torsion axle. WTF? That is totally unacceptable. Now I need to figure out what needs to be done. Once the weather gets better instead of installing my Livescope I will be removing the trailer axles to figure out how to make them safe.

Anyone know what new axles cost from ranger?

12. Member
    Ranger quoted $450.
    Scott Doughty
    2022 Skeeter ZX225 - 2022 Yamaha 225 SHO
    Salem, NH