Must be doubling down.
    That's thinking outside the box

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by juice780 View Post
    Isn’t tatsu flouro?
    yep, brain fart. kanzan braid, tatsu flouro
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

Bouncin' off rocks, and catching the smallies.

Potomac River Smallmouth Guide

Owner of Potomac Custom Tackle

3. Member
    Tried this for a bit, and now just have a few rods with braid, few with fluro, few with mono and few with co-poly, basically floating, sinking and suspending lines depending on the application. IMO you have to match the rod action with the stretch of the line, so a switch to braid involves moving to softer rods.....
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

4. Banned
    Its gonna be subjective depending upon region.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    I am considering going with POWER PRO on all reels and using fluorocarbon leaders in clearer water. There are a few presentations that it wouldn't work like POP
    Anyone out there doing this?
    Yes did it about 4 years ago .Great move for me

6. Member
    Went to straight braid about 10 years ago..............keep mono around to use as a backer against the spool.

7. Member
    When I started out I used almost exclusively braid. Now it's about 50/50. Half use braid, half have fluoro spooled. I have 1 spool of straight mono.

For casting reels, no less than 30lb braid for me. It's 8lb mono equivalent diameter. Any smaller and it really digs in. That said, I have a spool that seems to have gone bad. Snapped off at the spool, no backlash, no digging in, nothing. Just popped. But I've had good luck overall with Power Pro. 30-50-65-80 are what I use currently.

There's only a few techniques I don't use the braid/leader. Long casts where no knots are a must. Crankbaits, vibrating jigs (I use a stiffer rod so I want some shock in the line, if I put one on a softer rod, then braid/fluoro leader works great), jerkbaits and jigs.
    Spinning rods I use NanoFil in 8-12lb sizes with a long (15-20') fluoro leader, just because tying knots in NanoFil is a PITA.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

I run straight braid to hook, all Power Pro original. 65lb for jigs and frogs, 30lb for all other casting rods, 20lb for spinning.

9. Big Fish in a Small Pond hoohoorjoo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 12poundbass View Post
    Braid strait to the hook on everything for me too!
    X3 here. I even use straight braid to my topwaters. As long as you use a stiffer braid, no problems even there, 40# Berkley Trilene Braid to be specific.
    The best revenge is to have enough self-worth not to seek it.

10. Member
    all braid on everything, just down size for sinkos, and square bills

11. Member
    Does anybody use braid on bottom bouncing baits with a fluoro leader?

Heck no...the only things I run braid on are my spinning reels, frog rod and punching rod. All of the others are fluorocarbon or copolymer.

13. Member
    Did it years ago. Then went back to mainly Big Game.

14. Member
    If I'm running braid on a baitcaster, it's straight to the hook. Have I switched all over to braid? Absolutely not.

Spinning rods I will run a FC leader on a couple depending on the application. Others, straight braid to the hook, or straight mono to the hook. Again, both dependent on the application.

15. Member
    I think a lot of the people saying "all braid" and "direct tie" mostly fish in grass environments.
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

Quote Originally Posted by dstep0 View Post
    I think a lot of the people saying "all braid" and "direct tie" mostly fish in grass environments.
    I’d agree, that’s pretty much my situation.

10 years ago, maybe longer. Braid to floro on everything. I could never go back To mono!
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

Quote Originally Posted by Buggs247 View Post
    Does anybody use braid on bottom bouncing baits with a fluoro leader?
    I have for years.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    I fish with some guys that are 100% braid, even on deep diving crankbaits. They seem to catch plenty of fish no matter what presentation they are trying. It works just fine for those that want to.

I have always felt the line visibility factor was VERY overrated. People obsess over having invisible line yet the hooks can be seen plain as day on every bait.
    Fishing pressure and water clarity dictate what a fish will bite. You tie straight braid were I fish and you’ll go home pretty disappointed. Some lakes in California dictate 4lb floro due fishing pressure and clarity at 25 to 30 ft. That’s were the braid to floro comes in. It takes the stretch out of light floro leader at depth.
    Ive fished in Oklahoma and Kansas and could have caught fish on kite string in some of the lakes. So geography plays a huge part in what works.

20. Member
    I hate braid. I've tried it and found I really don't like it 90% of the time.

I still use it on an A Rig but in cold weather it freezes on the reel worse than any other line.

I do use it on frogs and some other top waters because it floats.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast