Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Braid on all of the spinning rods
    "If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson
    "Peace is not the absence of turmoil but the presence of God" Jo-Ann Thomack

2. Member
    Yep all braid for me. But that being said I don't crankbait fish and I don't jerk bait fish and that's really the only two things that you can't use braid for. I have no intention of going back I can't stand using fluorocarbon because of how non user-friendly it seems to be and mono has too much stretch and is just too weak.

Always braid for flipping and frogging and rarely on a spinning rig. Everything else is Izorline Platinum co-polymer.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

I fish with some guys that are 100% braid, even on deep diving crankbaits. They seem to catch plenty of fish no matter what presentation they are trying. It works just fine for those that want to.

I have always felt the line visibility factor was VERY overrated. People obsess over having invisible line yet the hooks can be seen plain as day on every bait.

5. Member
    10# on all my spinning set ups....30# on my casting gear.

6. Member
    15 lb seagar tatsu and flouro leader
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

Bouncin' off rocks, and catching the smallies.

Potomac River Smallmouth Guide

Owner of Potomac Custom Tackle

7. Member
    Almost all braid on everything.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshKeller View Post
    15 lb seagar tatsu and flouro leader
    Isn’t tatsu flouro?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by juice780 View Post
    Isn’t tatsu flouro?
    Must be doubling down.

10. Banned
    I only use braid when I have to. I just don’t like the stuff.

11. Member
    I use it on a couple spinning rod and a couple baitcasters. I use it as a tool but would rather use floro and mono.

12. Member
    Hell NO! Only use braid for froggin', maybe a punch rig, and I did decide to try light braid on spinning tackle with fluoro leader for finesse rigging. I use some fluoro, some copolymer for cranking, and mono for topwaters.

Been braid only for years now all you hacks are catching on LOL .. don’t need to have a leader it’s not needed !! Just another weak link your adding it .. brain the size of a pea but you think they all see your line and know it’s not a weed

14. Member
    Braid is awesome around grass. It sucks around rocks, wood, and mussels. Each line has its place.

I have straight braid on everything (40 some combos) except for a few (3-4) of light spinning reels and they have 4 & 6# mono. LOVE BRAID! I mainly fish largemouth though.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

16. Member
    One good bird nest on a baitcaster with braid can mess up your day with that rod. I use braid when I have to saw through lilypads or straighten out a hook on a jig if necessary.
    I hate the sound of it as it saws through the guides on a spinning reel.

17. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Surprised no one has mentioned the 2 (for me) disadvantages of braid. One, it floats in the water, which can reduce feel on lighter baits and when current is a factor. And two, it floats in the air, meaning that long casts with significant wind develop substantial bow in the line. I like braid just fine, but not for every application.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

18. Member
    I put yellow braid on all my spinning rods w/ fluoro leader except dropshot which gets straight FC Sniper. Only baitcasters I have braid on are frog and punching rods
    Charles Prue - Linthicum Heights, MD
    2003 Champion 206 Elite - 250 VMax

19. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    I have 30lb power pro on all my spinning rods and use seaguar leader on it with an alberto knot, I use big game on my casting reels except one has braid for buzz bait or top water . Works for me
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    Surprised no one has mentioned the 2 (for me) disadvantages of braid. One, it floats in the water, which can reduce feel on lighter baits and when current is a factor. And two, it floats in the air, meaning that long casts with significant wind develop substantial bow in the line. I like braid just fine, but not for every application.
    Agree 100 % and plus that damn sawing sound it makes when fishing wood ,, that combined with what you said is the reasons I only use it for frogging and punching , Sunline fluro either Sniper or Shooter gets the nod for everything else ,

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast