Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exhaust stain on lower unit fin 175 four stroke

I have a new 3.4 liter V6 175 four stroke. I am getting an exhaust stain on my lower unit fin. Is anyone else having this problem?

Ser #2B531294
    mod#OT266210

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Jeff:

Since you're in a cooler climate there, it would be a good idea to make sure that engine is coming up to temperature.

Do you have a Smartcraft Instrument?

Also, a picture is a good idea, if you can get one.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Banned
    How do you like the performance of the new V6 175hp? Curious what boat it's on and if it was a repower?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelman View Post
    How do you like the performance of the new V6 175hp? Curious what boat it's on and if it was a repower?
    I love the performance. it was a repower. 2001 Champion 187. I have the exhaust stain. I also have the smoke issue that some of the 250 V8 are having. I sounds like I have to take some oil out.

5. Member
    I do not have the smartcraft instrument. I will try to post a pic. if I can figure out how to do that.

Thank You,

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Jeff:

Since you're in a cooler climate there, it would be a good idea to make sure that engine is coming up to temperature.

Do you have a Smartcraft Instrument?

Also, a picture is a good idea, if you can get one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Dias View Post
    I love the performance. it was a repower. 2001 Champion 187. I have the exhaust stain. I also have the smoke issue that some of the 250 V8 are having. I sounds like I have to take some oil out.
    So this is a non Pro XS and you replaced a 175 hp optimax 2-stroke? Hole shot is better? What prop are you running?

He said it was a 3.4 leter, that's the new four stroke, not sure if it's an xs or not
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

9. Banned
    Heat stains from the exhaust. Verados and other FourStroke models have done it for years.

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    He said it was a 3.4 leter, that's the new four stroke, not sure if it's an xs or not
    Right and being it's a black lower unit I assume it's a non Pro XS. Was curious if it had low water pickups on the nose cone or not, guessing it does as I only see 6 side intakes and the 200hp non Pro XS had them with that many side intakes. He said he put it on a 2001 Champion 187, so I was wondering what engine it had previous to the 4-stroke to get an idea of his comparison to old outboard.

11. Member
    I had a 2001 175 EFI. Hole shot is better with the four stroke. Running a 22 pitch Tempest plus. I had a 25 pitch tempest on the 2 stroke.

12. Member
    Non pro xs. Replaced 175 efi. 2001. Running 22 pitch tempest plus.

13. Banned
    I had a 2001 175 EFI. Hole shot is better with the four stroke. Running a 22 pitch Tempest plus. I had a 25 pitch tempest on the 2 stroke.
    Thanks for the feedback, dropping 3 pitches will definitely help holeshot. They have basically the same gear ratio, so does the 4-stroke run as fast on the top end? Also do you notice the rear of the boat sits lower with the new outboard being its ~65lbs heavier?

14. Member
    Top end is a little slower my 2 stroke ran 63 mph. The 4 stroke runs 61 mph. @ 5800 rpm s witch is max for my motor. The 4 stroke has impressive power all the way through the rpm s. I don’t notice the difference in the way the boat sits. Champions bow sit very high
    Attached Images Attached Images

15. Member
    Top end is a little slower my 2 stroke ran 63 mph. The 4 stroke runs 61 mph. @ 5800 rpm s witch is max for my motor. The 4 stroke has impressive power all the way through the rpm s. I don’t notice the difference in the way the boat sits. Champions bow sit very high

16. Banned
    Looks good, could possibly pick up the couple mph you lost if interested by stepping up to a 23" prop to get it off the limiter if you're hitting it.

17. Member
    Not hitting it. Tried the 23. It ran 5600 at 60 Mph. I ran it with the 25,23,22. I found the 22 to work the best. with the 25 it ran 5200 at 58 Mph.
    Thank You though.

18. Banned
    Not hitting it. Tried the 23. It ran 5600 at 60 Mph. I ran it with the 25,23,22. I found the 22 to work the best. with the 25 it ran 5200 at 58 Mph.
    Thank You though.
    Interesting, appreciate you sharing.

19. Banned
    Just curious if you went with the standard 175 4-stroke because of your older boat having mechanical controls? I just noticed the 175 Pro XS appears to be only available in DTS form, is that correct?

20. Member
    That stain can't be normal...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast