Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Aluminum Bass Boat Help please

I'm looking at the aluminum bass boats. Basically, Ranger RT 178, Triton TX17, TX18; Lund Renegade 1775 and an Alumacraft Pro 175. They are all nice tin boats for sure. My question is, would you sacrifice the length for the beam? The Ranger and Triton have 92" beams. The Renegade has a 95" beam. The Pro 175 only 84". For the stability, I know the wider is better but they all have 64" bottom width. Does the beam make a big difference if the bottom width is the same? I'm leaning towards the Renegade because it is the biggest of the four and the layout is fantastic.

BTW, all in the same price range of $20K -$22K except for the Triton TX18 at $25K

If you have an opinion or comment, please chime in.
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17 90 SHO

2. Member

No question, I would go with the Renegade just because it's a Lund. Plus, it has the wider beam that you want.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

4. Member
    If there was one thing I wished my boat had besides power and storage it would be more beam
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

5. Member
    Uh if you look you can get a ranger rt 188 or crestliner vt18 in that price range

6. Banned
    On my second Lund currently running a 2175 pro-v. I am extremely happy with the Lund brand.

I don't how much more stable you could get beyond any of the Rangers or Tritons you mention that your considering. I have the Triton 18TX, hull is the clone of the Ranger RT 188, it is a very stable boat. It fishes from a very flat attitude, perfect for bass fishing. The 18TX is rated for 115 which puts it in a different class of boat. If speed is at all a consideration, my 18TX will do 47 solo with a 4 inch micro hydro plate. The 18TX has a center rod box which will hold up to 8 rods...I put 7'5 ers in there regularly. Just a few things to consider...all the rigs you mention are quality tins. Enjoy the purchase, and if one is really calling your name...go for that one!

8. Member
    If you dont care to drive search the net for a ranger rt188 or crestliner vt18. You can find 2018 models in low 20s

Quote Originally Posted by smithlakebass View Post
    Uh if you look you can get a ranger rt 188 or crestliner vt18 in that price range
    Not up here, and the Crestliner isn't in their league

[QUOTE=Jspell;9734260]http://wareagleboats.com/boats/21/961-tomahawk

No thanks

11. huskyjerk
    If you fish tournaments, make sure you check out livewell size.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Not up here, and the Crestliner isn't in their league
    If you look and are willing to drive

I looked at a Vexus, Ranger, and Lund all side by side on the same showroom floor last Sunday. Not saying they are better boats but the Vexus and Ranger looked better to me.

14. Member
    https://www.intunemarine.com/invento...56368-2403265i
    This vexus looks sharp and with that G2, i'm sure she will fly!
    Pool 10

15. Member
    That Lowe Stinger is a lot of boat for the money.

16. Member
    You will be happy with any of those. That Lund would be my choice. They were not on the market when I was looking and there were no dealers around here. Now there must be a few as I seen a couple at an outdoors show last year. It looked to be a very nice tin boat.

17. Member
    If the bottoms are all the same width and the beams are different, and all of them are mod vee's then the wider beam boat should be drier in rough water. I didn't say dry. I make a run in my RT188 on KY Lake when it gets up I ALWAYS put my rain gear on because it's going to be wet. It's always got me back safe, but you don't have much freeboard compared to some of the 18' glass boats. I'm betting that's where the Lund is different.

18. Member
    People talk about more freeboard being desirable then in the next breath talk about wind blowing the boat around.

A taller profile will be drier but susceptible to being more effected by the wind.

Just sayin'.

19. Member
    The Crestliner PT would be my choice when looking at aluminum bass boats.

20. Member
    That could be true Holeshot. There isn’t a perfect bassboat.

We don’t have a local Lund dealer and it’s been decades since I owned one. So, I can’t comment on how bad they blow around. In theory if everything else was equal the higher sides would catch more wind.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast