Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Hey Al, The Lund dealer in Hookset, NH had some 2018 17' & 18' Renegades left over when I was there 3wks ago. He had them marked down a little.

2. Member
    N2ratfishing

I have an Xpress which floats kind of high at the bow and some people complain that wind is a problem with this brand. The positives far exceed the negatives so I am very happy with mine. So much that I kept the first one 10 1/2 years and now have a 2018 model.

3. Member
    I really, really enjoyed my Ranger 178 with a Yamaha F70. Loved the floor layout, storage, etc.
    Sold mine at two years old ... full warranty, upgrades such as Fortrex 80#, 5" Lowrance HD, etc.
    Paid $24k, sold $16k. Just saying it's not a terrible thing to shop for a well kept used hull/motor.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Holeshot View Post
    N2ratfishing

I have an Xpress which floats kind of high at the bow and some people complain that wind is a problem with this brand. The positives far exceed the negatives so I am very happy with mine. So much that I kept the first one 10 1/2 years and now have a 2018 model.
    Ive spent many a day in a Xpress. They are tanks.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Not up here, and the Crestliner isn't in their league
    They absolutely are in the same league

6. Member
    I would seriously consider an 18 or 18.8 ft boat. Any of those brands will be just fine....what outboard are you looking at?

7. Member
    To answer your question, I would be more concerned with layout than I would be true beam. So no, I wouldn’t give up length for beam. I haven’t fished out of any of the 17 footers you have listed. I had a PT190 for years and fished out of an RT188 before. The ranger dies fish very flat and is quite stable.

Out of the boats you have listed, my choice would be the RT178. I haven’t looked at triton ever but of the layout is the same and you can find one cheaper, it would be an option.

The reason for this? LAYOUT!
    I climbed through the renegade when it first came out. It had less rod storage and no seals around the rear compartments. Of you look at the RT178, you will notice that it has more rod storage with more than adequate areas to store tackle and other gear as well as seals around the rear compartment. Lund did a great job designing that Hull IMO. They just missed the mark where it counts. I would be willing to bet though that the hull on the renegade is just as, if not more stable that’ll the ranger just because if it’s design.

Either way, your short list has great boats on it and I’m sure you will be happy with any of them.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaBassMan View Post
    They absolutely are in the same league
    That is kind of what I was thinking, aren't they both owned by Brunswick now?

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jfish View Post
    That is kind of what I was thinking, aren't they both owned by Brunswick now?
    Brunswick owns Lund and Crestliner. Most of the boats are made in the Lund plant in New York Mills, MN. They are not the same, different engineering, different features, different price points. A Lund is a step above Crestliner in all aspects. That's not a knock on crestliner its just the truth.

10. Member
    It is important to actually go look/touch/feel. I thought the Lund was a good option, then I went and sat in one and it was the most uncomfortable boat I have ever sat in. I drove the Vexus someone linked earlier and that was the nicest aluminum boat I have ever been in.

11. Member
    If you want a real aluminum bass boat get an Xpress. The rest are just gussied up jon boats.

Steve Dyer
    Mt. Pleasant, NC

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaBassMan View Post
    I would seriously consider an 18 or 18.8 ft boat. Any of those brands will be just fine....what outboard are you looking at?

Right now Yamaha has a 6 yr warranty and my preferred choice
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17 90 SHO

Quote Originally Posted by grandbassslayer View Post
    Brunswick owns Lund and Crestliner. Most of the boats are made in the Lund plant in New York Mills, MN. They are not the same, different engineering, different features, different price points. A Lund is a step above Crestliner in all aspects. That's not a knock on crestliner its just the truth.
    Actually the Lund Mod V (Renegade) is not made in MN. It's made in TN. So I was told.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveDyer View Post
    If you want a real aluminum bass boat get an Xpress. The rest are just gussied up jon boats.
    Xpress Boats are definitely the Allison of aluminum but there isn't a dealer anywhere in New England or even close.

So guys,

Here it is. The 2018 RT178 - 75 Merc, 70 Edge TM, 3 bank charger, spare, custom cover, two Hook4's, - $22,785

2018 Lund Renegade 1775, 90 SHO, Maxxum 70, 3 bank, two HB Pirhana Max4, custom cover, spare, power pedestal with butt seat -$22,300

2018 G3 Sportsman 18 90 SHO, Maxxum 70, 2 bank, Hook4, Pirhana Max4, spare, Bay Star hydraulic steering - $21,900 This boat is 18' 10" where the other two are 17' 8" and 17' 9"

What would be your choice?
    Thanks for all the replies

16. Member
    I can't add much but I will say that my buddy's Lowe Stinger with the bullet nose is a lot drier ride than my G3 with the mod-V.

17. Member
    The boat choice may be a toss but the 90 SHO over the Merc 75 is a no brainer.

18. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Your “cheapest” option is most likely the one I would pick, but as has been said...you habe to sit in and feel very comfortable with the layout of the boat. You can’t go wrong with any of the above 3, but I would steer toward the 90hp motor. My boat is 18’6 with a 90 and she does well for me.

It will I’ll never be a 60k fiberglass rig but she catches fish for me! Good luck with your purchase!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

19. Member
    I think lowe doesn't have any wood in it. Food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    So guys,

Here it is. The 2018 RT178 - 75 Merc, 70 Edge TM, 3 bank charger, spare, custom cover, two Hook4's, - $22,785

2018 Lund Renegade 1775, 90 SHO, Maxxum 70, 3 bank, two HB Pirhana Max4, custom cover, spare, power pedestal with butt seat -$22,300

2018 G3 Sportsman 18 90 SHO, Maxxum 70, 2 bank, Hook4, Pirhana Max4, spare, Bay Star hydraulic steering - $21,900 This boat is 18' 10" where the other two are 17' 8" and 17' 9"

What would be your choice?
    Thanks for all the replies
    THIS^^^ Best features and best price.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast