Thread: New Ranger

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Ranger

I bought a new 2018 Ranger RT 188 yesterday. It has an Evinrude ETEC 115 HO on the back and is black in color. I know there are some Evinrude haters out there, but I have been intrigued with this motor since beginning my search nine months ago. The 10 year warranty is great and the ease of winterizing is awesome. I'm as pumped about the motor as I am the boat. It's kind of exciting, as I ordered my current boat new from the dealer back in 1996, so it was time.

I got what I think is a smokin' hot deal at $22,100 including freight and prep. If anybody else is interested, the dealer has another one left that is maroon in color with all of the same options for the same price. 2018 RT 188 with 2018 Evinrude ETEC 115 HO. The boat comes with three batteries, automatic bilge pump, prop, three bank charger, transducer mounting bracket, upgraded mag wheels, spare tire with mag wheel, retractable boat buckle tiedowns, with freight and prep included for $22,100. I don't think you can find one for cheaper anywhere else. I dealt directly with E.J., the owner of the small family type dealership. He is a pleasure to deal with. The dealer is Angler's Edge in Loves Park (Rockford), Illinois. They have the remaining boat on their website, www.anglersedge.net .

I added an 80 lb. Fortrex and two 7 inch Lowrance units. I wanted a 9 inch for the console, but wanted it flush mounted into the dash. The 2018 can only accommodate a 7 incher flush mounted.

What little things have you guys added to yours that you would recommend. I like the angled aluminum with the pre-drilled holes for under the storage compartment lids to hang lures.
    Last edited by madmurph; 10-16-2018 at 07:47 PM.

2. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Man that is one sweet deal, and nice of you to inform others. If I was in the market I'd be on that like a Bum on a ham sandwich!

I can vouch for my Evinrude and the fact that I love it!!!!! Hopefully I will feel the same after 10 years, and really don't know why I won't. I was a die hard Merc guy until I test drove my boat, it was Game Over at that point... Easy to maintain, sips oil and gas, etc... I have run mine hard for one full season+ now (sans winter) and she purs like a kitten, the harder you run it, the more she likes it!

I hope somebody takes advantage of that opportunity that you posted. Keep us up to date on your experience. Will you have a chance to use it much before you put her away for winter?
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

3. Member
    We have had some snow already in parts of Wisconsin King Fish!! I'm pretty much in deer and grouse mode now so I will probably wait until spring. I used to enjoy the late fall musky fishing (can I even say the word musky on this forum) but now pretty much dedicate October and later to hunting. I was going to order a 2019 at the end of the year to have it by next spring but couldn't pass on this deal when I saw it. I'm glad to hear you are pleased with your Evinrude and hope you like your Ranger as much as you do your motor. I hope you get many years of enjoyment out of them.

4. Member
    Check on the precision sonar mount for your boat. Pricey but they're sweet

5. Member
    Congrats, the Erude is a sweet azz motor for sure
    2015 Ranger rt188/115 Etec

6. Member
    I have a HDS 7 in the dash and another up front on a Dek It type mount. I used the phenolic block in the back for the transducers.

No doubt you’ll enjoy it.

I had the HDS7 mounted in-dash on my RT but I wanted more screen space so I bought a Precision Sonar Mount when I upgraded to an HDS9T.
    I also have a 9T on the bow, but would like to have a 12 inch there. I found that I need more screen space there.

Attached Images Attached Images

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

8. Member
    The strongest motor I ever owned was a 2001 Johnson 90. It was on a 17' CC Triumph and you had to hold on to avoid being thrown out of the boat! My Opti warranty goes to 2023, so it'll be a while before another look at Evinrude. I would highly recommend you swap or sell the Fortrex and get an Ultrex. The Fortrex did fine on mine, but the Ultrex is on another planet!
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

9. Member
    Also, seeing Bill's post reminded me about the BBT front mount for the Lowrance and Durasafe locks!
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

Quote Originally Posted by GeauxTide View Post
    Also, seeing Bill's post reminded me about the BBT front mount for the Lowrance and Durasafe locks!
    I agree about the Ultrex, best fishing investment I have ever made!!! I was concerned that it Could be easily stolen because of the single screw holding the motor to the bracket, so I added the Dura-Safe locking screw.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

Congrats on the new rig. You will love it. All the comments above are spot on. I added/changed the following..... Replaced the stock jack stand with a Fulton F2, added a Trick Step bow step for easy one man launching, and replaced the trailer lights with LED... Good luck with the new rig...
    2016 Ranger RT188
    115 Yamaha SHO

"Well done is better than well said"- Benjamin Franklin

12. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Congrats on the new rig and I hope you have many years of safe travels and great fishing! I love my little Etec. Sips gas and oil and I was born and raised a Mercury guy but I do love my motor.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by madmurph View Post
    I bought a new 2018 Ranger RT 188 yesterday. It has an Evinrude ETEC 115 HO on the back and is black in color. I know there are some Evinrude haters out there, but I have been intrigued with this motor since beginning my search nine months ago. The 10 year warranty is great and the ease of winterizing is awesome. I'm as pumped about the motor as I am the boat. It's kind of exciting, as I ordered my current boat new from the dealer back in 1996, so it was time.

I got what I think is a smokin' hot deal at $22,100 including freight and prep. If anybody else is interested, the dealer has another one left that is maroon in color with all of the same options for the same price. 2018 RT 188 with 2018 Evinrude ETEC 115 HO. The boat comes with three batteries, automatic bilge pump, prop, three bank charger, transducer mounting bracket, upgraded mag wheels, spare tire with mag wheel, retractable boat buckle tiedowns, with freight and prep included for $22,100. I don't think you can find one for cheaper anywhere else. I dealt directly with E.J., the owner of the small family type dealership. He is a pleasure to deal with. The dealer is Angler's Edge in Loves Park (Rockford), Illinois. They have the remaining boat on their website, www.anglersedge.net .

I added an 80 lb. Fortrex and two 7 inch Lowrance units. I wanted a 9 inch for the console, but wanted it flush mounted into the dash. The 2018 can only accommodate a 7 incher flush mounted.

What little things have you guys added to yours that you would recommend. I like the angled aluminum with the pre-drilled holes for under the storage compartment lids to hang lures.
    That is a very good price, you are going to love your boat.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

14. Member
    I added a Stoltz bow roller, 9"Lowrance at the bow, 4 strips of Red LEDs under the consoles (dual console), and replaced the trailer lights with LEDs and custom registration numbers. My next mod is going to be removing the factory side graphics and getting a vinyl wrap on the sides only of my own design. Have fun with that new boat!
    2015 Ranger rt188/115 Etec

15. Member
    What speed are you seeing with this setup? I am looking to trade later this year or first of 2019 to this model or the 198P with a 150HP.

Quote Originally Posted by GeauxTide View Post
    . I would highly recommend you swap or sell the Fortrex and get an Ultrex. The Fortrex did fine on mine, but the Ultrex is on another planet!
    True statement. I would not buy a boat without it unless I stole it cheap enough that I could go buy one.....I especially would not buy a new boat without the Ultrex.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

17. Member
    For Madmurph:
    Here's the color difference for the BC coinbox.

18. Member
    Thanks Goat. I like the box.

19. Member
    I need this deal in camo!!
    Nice rig.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by madmurph View Post

Great boat. Sounds like a good deal.

What do you do to winterize an outboard? I use outboards all winter. Sometimes I use them to bust ice while duck hunting and have never winterized one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast