New to Humminbird and need some help/advice

Guys I am in the processes of spec'ing out a new boat and want to make the switch from Lowrance to Humminbird.

I am going to put a Solix 12 MEGA SI both at the console and bow. I have some questions though:

1. Do I need a glassed in shoot-through 2D in the hull to get 2D sonar at high speeds?
    2. Should I use the MEGA transducer that comes with unit on my trolling motor, or get a dedicated DI and 2D-CHIRP ducer?
    3. The GPS Heading Sensor, does it work just like a Point-1? Is it worth adding it or is the internal GPS sufficient?

If anyone has any advice or comments on this it would be great. I have only read about the HBs however I fish Lake Erie all the time and the MEGA SI clarity is driving the brand switch.
    2019 Phoenix 920 ProXP
    Mercury 250 4S ProXS

1. If the boat picture is yours, YES you need a shoot-thru 2D transducer for your installation. That is how to do an install instead of just mounting equipment.
    2. You can do either, just depends on whether or not you want SI at the bow with the bow as the source or if you want better 2D. I use SI at the bow more than I do 2D sonar. The included transducer does SI/DI/2D/Temp. The only thing you would gain with the MEGA DI transducer is Low-Q Dual Beam 2D CHIRP.
    3. The AS GPS HS is the same as the Point 1. You can share Heading and GPS separate so put the antenna at the transom so you will have sonar and GPS at the same place for accurate waypoint creation and locating.

IF you go the DI route, you don't need a SI model. Just get the Sonar model and add the MEGA DI transducer trolling motor puck version.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Wayne - thanks for responding. The boat in the picture is my current, not the one I'm building but very similar.

Ok so I'll 100% have them install a shoot through, and then the MEGA SI/DI/2D/Temp on the jack plate.

Good to know on the AS GPS HS, I'll make sure they add that.

I was told by several people that in order to have DI/MEGA you must purchase the MEGA SI model number. If this is inaccurate it's great, because it will in-fact save me a good amount of money. What model # trans is the one that does MEGA DI and Low-Q Dual Beam 2D CHIRP?
    2019 Phoenix 920 ProXP
    Mercury 250 4S ProXS

Quote Originally Posted by Nick D View Post
    Wayne - thanks for responding. The boat in the picture is my current, not the one I'm building but very similar.

Ok so I'll 100% have them install a shoot through, and then the MEGA SI/DI/2D/Temp on the jack plate.

Good to know on the AS GPS HS, I'll make sure they add that.

I was told by several people that in order to have DI/MEGA you must purchase the MEGA SI model number. If this is inaccurate it's great, because it will in-fact save me a good amount of money. What model # trans is the one that does MEGA DI and Low-Q Dual Beam 2D CHIRP?
    "several people" did not read the description for software version 3.110 released in January this year. Also in post #259 here highlighted in blue:
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....428742&page=13

The SOLIX trolling motor Dual Spectrum MEGA DI transducer is XTM 14 20 MDI T. Part # 710272-1. There is a transom version of it also.It uses 140-240 kHz for 2D sonar and 455/800/1200 kHz Imaging.
    The 2D transducer and MEGA SI transducer uses 83/200 kHz 2D sonar.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL