Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smbass77 View Post
    he;s a fake Facebook profile run by a pro or group of pros. He makes fun of regional/local anglers who do lots of work for a discount on product. Pretty ironic that "Randy Flowers" is fishing MLF and MLF is looking for free workers :)
    sounds like the "pro or pros" should probably not try and make fun of the anglers who buy tackle that pays their way to play, but then again, what do I know. Professional Tournament fishing in itself is a total sham.
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

Bouncin' off rocks, and catching the smallies.

Potomac River Smallmouth Guide

Owner of Potomac Custom Tackle

2. Member
    Bunch of negative nancies around here.
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by mohawkman View Post
    I hand it to Duckett and Klein for getting this off the ground but if you want to keep an image of high integrity for any company you need to pay for their travel, lodging, food expenses.

Lastly, there needs to be insurance coverage by the boater to ensure that should any accident result in injury that they are covered.

Just seems common sense.

Surprised that such a new forum would launch and they are already looking for 'free' marshals.

Yes BASS did it but these guys have MUCH MORE responsibility than the BASS marshalls did. These guys are 'the' certified scorers of penalties and weights.

I can't believe they think they can get this service for free.

Seems insane really.

As they say... "You get what you pay for."
    It pays to read the website...they do cover all expenses to be there, but you don't get paid a daily salary. BASS you have to pay to be a Marshall and no other items are covered for you (travel, lodging, etc)

What a joke. I can't imagine that someone would have so much free time and interest to be away from your family for an unpaid position. Qualifications should be : retired, single, no family or other interests.
    I have had most of them, some are just better than others.

5. Member
    I doubt they have any problems filling the positions. Not sure why they would require you to live within 2 hours of Tulsa. Would that be driving time? I could be there in about 30 min. in my gulfstream.

I bet they get the spots filled easily.

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by slaunch View Post
    I agree with that but others seem to always want to find the negative with everything posted about the new tour.
    Since the post has a question mark, I would assume the OP wanted discussion, not necessarily agreement.

8. Member
    no
    Brandon
    1996 Ranger 362XT
    Johnson Faststrike 150

9. Banned
    As a semi-local I am curious where they are at in Tulsa, anyone know?

10. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    It's been often mentioned here, among folks who do the marshal thing, that there are certain anglers who are preferred draws and others who are, well... not so much.

Maybe a little table turning now?

Angler 1: "Who'd you draw today?"

Angler 2: "__________, that grumpy old bastage."

Angler 1: "Ha ha... Sucks to be you!"

And no... I have no doubt they'll fill the slots.
    Who controls John Gill?

11. Member
    They won't need as many as BASS. My understanding is on these 80 angler tournaments they are going to be 4 days with 20 anglers a day. The top 5 each day will compete on the 5th day.

12. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by slaunch View Post
    I agree with that but others seem to always want to find the negative with everything posted about the new tour.
    What negative? If you are referring to my statement about no pay, that's not a bash rather my opinion. With all the hype and money getting thrown at this new concept I'd think there would be no need to garner free help in setting up venues and such. The marshall part I can maybe understand but I'm not doing all your manual labor for free. If that's a bash, then color me Mr. Negative.

Dale Sinclair original

13. Member
    Just from my knowledge of dealing with Federal wage laws over the years I feel like that with this not being a non profit charitable and requiring such specific requirements and additional duties such as set up or boat transportation to the events they very well may run afoul of the wage laws by not at least paying minimum wage and trying to call such position or activity for the company a "volunteer position" when the criteria clearly list requirements that would be considered as normal for a paid position and not a volunteer.

I am sure they have lawyers and such but it would not surprise me to see a lawsuit filed challenging such requirements not being classed as employment positions.

I like the MLF format but this sounds like trying to cheap out and not pay for the manual labor to run the event and call it an "experience" for the guys that do it. I am sure it would not kill them to at least pay a minimum wage salary to fill the positions.

14. Banned
    This is like the NFL cheerleader thing. I do think it would be neat for a retired guy who is bored and loves fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by hatcreek View Post
    It's been often mentioned here, among folks who do the marshal thing, that there are certain anglers who are preferred draws and others who are, well... not so much.

Maybe a little table turning now?

Angler 1: "Who'd you draw today?"

Angler 2: "__________, that grumpy old bastage."

Angler 1: "Ha ha... Sucks to be you!"

And no... I have no doubt they'll fill the slots.

Why I'm thinking of signing up my MIL. Love to see a pro spend 8 hrs on a boat with her. It will make for great TV.

16. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grandbassslayer View Post
    I do think it would be neat for a retired guy who is bored and loves fishing.
    I don't disagree but man, they are asking an awful lot out of the marshals. I also agree with Mark Perry in that they will fill the spots pretty easy.

Dale Sinclair original

17. Member
    Seems like if you were retired or well off, and could take the time it would be fun. Imagine how much leg you could get running around with real jersey wearing professional fisherman!!

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenix5252 View Post
    Seems like if you were retired or well off, and could take the time it would be fun. Imagine how much leg you could get running around with real jersey wearing professional fisherman!!
    Yeah, I bet you'd have to beat the women off with a stick.

I could do it except I'm not two hours from their location and there is no way I would do all that for free.
    2019 BassCat Puma FTD, Honda 250, Croxton Razor 4XL,Garmin Force, Power Pole Blades & Charge, Atlas JP, Ionic 36v Lithium, K2 Energy Lithium NoCo GenPro10x1, All Garmin Electronics with PanOptics LiveScope

jefflhoman.com

20. Member
    At least this answers one of the first questions brought up on this board. How would they pay all those Marshalls? My only other concern would be the safety factor. Who makes the call on whether or not it is safe to go out on the water with volunteers?
    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.

--Voltaire

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast