Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Another Blown 7-2011 sho 250

Was on the way back into weigh in this past sunday afternoon running 4,800 rpms and motor started sounding funny so immeditely slowed down and as i slowed down you could hear some knocking going on and then it shut off on me, tried to re start but it was locked up tight. Yesterday i checked the oil and it has water mixed in with it and the bottom left side cylinder has the milky oil sitting in it and on the spark plug. Im really disappointed at this failure because the engine ony has 344 hours on it, 157 which are 1000 or less, 47 between 3000-4000, 80 between 4000-5000, and 15 from 5000-6000. Oil changes performed no more than 70-80 hours between changes and all other items preformed before scheduled required times. i remember seeing a post a while back asking how many sho owners are out there with over 400 hours on there original power head and now i see why they were asking the question. This has me a little worried if a motor that has been taken care of this well cant break the 400 hour mark will the next powerhead make it past 350 hours.

2. Member
    Hate to hear that, and I feel for ya'. I paid for an aftermarket warranty (@$2K) when I bought my 2014 boat with a SHO@ 90 hours around 20 months ago. And will buy it again one more time in a few months for this exact reason. It might not be a golden ticket, but it would help in a situation like yours. I would lose my chit if it blew on me as well as I've taken care of it.
    2014 920/SHO

3. Member
    Sorry that happened. I understand your frustration - when you take real good care of something you expect it to take real good care of you! I'm curious, was your engine part of the recall for a new powerhead or did you have the original powerhead on it when it blew? I hear all the talk about how outboards run at a much higher average rpm than a vehicle engine and that is true but look at the price we pay for the engines and the price we pay in how short their expected lives are. I mean it isn't anything for a car engine to go 200000 miles or more. At 200000 miles with even an average speed of 50mph that is 4000 hours. We think we are doing good if our outboard lasts 500 hours and to get to 750 or 1000 is bragging territory. Something is wrong in the engineering for these engines. I think if a company came out with a 4 stroke outboard with a light weight closed loop cooling system so that the oil can get up to 180 degrees and be stable that a lot of the 4 stroke problems would go away. Just my 2 cents and again sorry about your engine.

4. Member
    Man, I feel your pain. I had 2010 250 SHO I think it was 610 off the assembly line. Never ran hard, always serviced before it was due. It was on its third power head. Not one had made it a 100 hours before it had locked up. Before the warranty was up on the newest power head I had been in contact with Yamaha customer service several times to ask them when the warranty was up that they could they give some assurance that it would make it past a 100 hours. NO sorry your warranty is up is what I was told. Oh and for you haters out there. I don't expect a life time warranty. But i do expect it to last more then a 100 hours. Needless to say I no longer own the boat. I can't tell you how many Yamaha products I own and have owned. I do know that was the last one I will ever purchase. Looking at newer boats and looks like it's time to go with the G2.

Oh lord, something else to worry about now.

That's frustrating. I had SHO number 44 built in 2009 and took it well over 400 hours without issue - had voluntary factory replacement of the power head and then put another 50 hours on that without issue before selling the boat. New owner ran it all this year without issue. Always loved that motor and am in another SHO now, love it.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

My buddies 2014 just blew with 381 hrs.

8. Member
    2014 @ 468 hrs and not a hiccup!

9. Member
    07/2011 build date on mine. 623 hrs. Haven’t touched it. Good luck with yours. I would be ragging on Yamaha to take care of you

Typically the 13/14 & up are fine. My buddy has a power head on the way & he'll be back on the water this weekend. Yamaha took care of it no questions asked.

"I'm curious, was your engine part of the recall for a new powerhead or did you have the original powerhead on it when it blew".

What is this? Only heard about the shift linkage, nothing about a powerhead. How do you find if your motor is included in this?

12. Banned
    Looked up the powerhead on a late model SHO 250--$10,757. Ouch!

Makes me glad I've just got a F150.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tracer1 View Post
    "I'm curious, was your engine part of the recall for a new powerhead or did you have the original powerhead on it when it blew".

What is this? Only heard about the shift linkage, nothing about a powerhead. How do you find if your motor is included in this?
    There is lots of stuff about the first couple of years of the SHO motors. I happen to have #266. Anyway there was a bearing problem and Yamaha to their credit issued a recall for the first engines to have the powerhead replaced. The recall only went through a certain serial number range. I sure you can google and get the serial number range. My engine had the powerhead factory replaced at around 200 hours in 2015, the original owner said it just blew on him one day just cruising along at 4000 rpm. I purchased it with 261 hours on it in late Dec. of 2016 with two years of YES warranty from a dealer. I have had zero issues and am very happy with the engine. However I don't get to fish all that much so I haven't put many hours on it and my extended warranty will be up in Jan. of 2019. When I hear about well maintained SHO engines blowing for no reason it concerns me, especially on older engines that probably have had new powerheads. I stand my my statement that there is something inherently wrong with the design of any engine that is thought to be an explosion waiting to happen which is how I've heard outboards described. It seems that if the oil in these 4 strokes could be quickly brought up to a normal operating temperature to ensure that moisture is heated out of the engine and that the rings seat as they are supposed to that the result would be a reliable motor. I'd still like to know if the OP's engine blew with the new design powerhead or did it have the original one on it.

14. Member
    this was the original powerhead being is i never recieved a letter and this one was not part of the recall. i have been in contact with my aftermarket warranty company and are wating on a call back. Two other local people that i know also have had powerhead issues with a 2010 and 2013 models, the guy with the 2010 was on his 3rd powerhead and he was the second owner of that boat and the guy with the 2013 had about 200 hours when his went. This is the first issue i have had with mine other than this blow up it has been flawless and i have loved everything about the sho but now with no warranty and doing a lot of research here latley i am a little leary about owning one with out any warranty now.

I have googled " Yamaha recall on VMax SHO outboards" & all I can find is the shifter recall & HPDI oil pumps I believe. Will keep looking though. My SHO is a 2009.
    Last edited by tracer1; 10-18-2018 at 06:34 PM.

It wasn't a recall - take a look at this thread - a copy of the letter is posted that was sent to owners of early model SHO's. Deadline for work to be done was 12/31/17 but may be worth calling.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=659213

Excuse me-----Voluntary Replacement Powerhead.

The point being if you were searching the net using the word recall you may not find the right information, which you apparently hadn’t found but I posted for you above.

Yeah, you're right. That's what I did. Will give Yamaha about mine but as said the replacement period is gone. Thanks for the info.

20. Member
    I had a 2012 SHO on my Z119, the powerhead blew on the previous owner in 2014 and he had it replaced under warranty. I bought the boat in 2016 and thought I was in the clear with the 2014 head but it blew on me in July with about 250 hours on it. I now own a G2.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast