Thoughts on setup/Charging/Accessory power

I'm in a bit of a dilemma in changing my current set up pertaining to batteries and charging.

Current setup:

2008 Triton TR-196
    Mercury 200 Optimax

36v Trolling motor - 3 bank charger ran to all 3 of those batteries
    Cranking battery that also powers accessories (HDS 9 Gen 3 at console, HDS 7 at bow) - no charger hooked to this battery.

I really don't like the idea of the accessories running off the cranking battery. I want to know that my outboard is going to fire right up after a long day of fishing/graphing.

Do I:

Get a 4 bank charger and not worry about the accessories running off of the cranking battery?

Add an additional battery for accessories only and add an additional 2 bank charger to charge cranking battery and accessory battery?

Anybody running a 5 battery set up?
    2008 Triton TR-196 - Mercury Optimax 200 - 25p Tempest prop

2. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    No not very many, though quite a few with 24 volt TMs run a 4 battery setup. Some use an available AUX charging output of the outboard to assist charging the House battery while on the water, while the main charging output helps keep the cranking battery up.

An added Blue Sea Systems dual circuit switch can assist jump in an emergency the cranking and house batteries.
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 10-23-2018 at 07:13 PM.

3. Member
    Many ways to do this. What is the best will need to fit your situation. 1st you HAVE to charge that cranking battery unless you outboard is running alot. It needs a charger. If the graphs are the only load other than the engine starting, I would get a high quality battery for that and a small jump pack and your done. Other than the charger. The switch that lou recommends will do the same unless you trollers are dead. Like was said it depends on your situation. If you draw any of the batteries below 50% you are short lifeing them, so here is another per situation issue. Cj
    Last edited by CJ1; 10-20-2018 at 09:40 AM.
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.