Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Boat not getting up on plain while fully loaded

Boat 2012 Stratos 285 with 2012 150HP E-Tec
    I am having trouble getting my boat on plain when the boat has two people and livewells and gas tank full, it seems like the prop is washing out and not grabbing, but once the boat gets on plain it runs fine. If i have my fishing partner get on the front deck it gets on plain just fine. It seems like it just started this june, in the spring the boat was fine getting on plain with both of us. some people have said it may be the warmer water was the cause, but here is Pa the water is now in the low 60's and i am still having problems. there is a manual jackplate which i had set up by a boat mechanic and the boat ran great, now i do have to say my partner and i are not little guys we are both 220+ lbs and i was wondering if that may be the cause, wanted to see if anyone has any answers.

Thanks Jake

=

2. Banned
    Sounds like you need to move some weight forward.

3. Member

no doubt outboards perform better in cooler air that in the heat of summer.
    first question is what prop are you running ?
    has it received ANY damage since the boat was performing better than it is now ?
    most often these type of issues are prop related.

How many hours on the plugs? Pull them and check the gap which should be .028.
    Dan Burnette - Marietta, GA
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2

prop is washing out and not grabbing
    could be plug related .. sounds more like prop issues to me.

7. Member
    Think I see the problem. Boats are not designed to run on a plain. Grass, brush and other things are really hard on the propeller and hull. Next time put the boat in water and see how it does. I suspect if you get on water it might even plane.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gehol View Post
    Think I see the problem. Boats are not designed to run on a plain. Grass, brush and other things are really hard on the propeller and hull. Next time put the boat in water and see how it does. I suspect if you get on water it might even plane.
    That’s funny,I was thinking the same thing but I wouldn’t say it.

Nice welcome to the new comer on BBC there mister "TWC3 compatible"

10. Member
    Yep, typos happen and words are misspelled. Not trying to welcome or make him feel unwelcome, just a little light humor that appears to be lost on you.

11. California Fishing Moderator Captain Babito A7T3C's Avatar
    That jackplate should definitely help out, i'd agree with the others on possibly being plug related - but i wouldn't rule out the prop either. Not sure why it would of changed since June as you mentioned, other than cooler weather.

I could definitely see a full boat, with gear, full live-wells, and two 'not little guys' struggling a bit to get out of the hole with a 150..

I know many think it's a band-aid fix, but maybe consider a custom hydrofoil?
    2017 Nitro Z18 - Mercury ProXS 175 - 24P Fury - Elite 9 TI2 - Fortrex

Yep, typos happen and words are misspelled. Not trying to welcome or make him feel unwelcome, just a little light humor that appears to be lost on you.
    Not lost here . My knee is sore from pounding on it..

13. Member
    What can I say? LOL They are so many misspelled and mis used words on BBC, it is impossible for me to not make a little humor from time to time even when my dyslexia is pointed out. It is just too easy.

14. Member
    I think part of your problem is overall weight. Balance could help...a foil could help (it does on my 150)...plugs...I would check the prop last because it will be the most expensive. How many batteries do you have in it?

15. Banned
    Boats setup light fall flat on their face when loaded. You need to redo your setup from the beginning loaded or you will fight a up hill battle.

16. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Agree with jarhead....Are you saying the boat ran great before you and big partner, plus full live wells, etc got on board? Or are you saying it ran great with all the same weight, but things went bad with no changes to load, etc??

This sounds crazy but you might have water trapped in the front hull area . It could be shifting to the stern as you accelerate .

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lea View Post
    Agree with jarhead....Are you saying the boat ran great before you and big partner, plus full live wells, etc got on board? Or are you saying it ran great with all the same weight, but things went bad with no changes to load, etc??
    Best question here ^^^
    Spoken like a true trouble shooter.

19. Member
    I agree with I.B.M. poss a little over weight prob. If you and your buddy go on diet, let me know, I'll join you. I need to drop about 20,
    But really, if you have added any more weight to boat ie, tackle , anchor, electronics, PP', You may look at a 4blade prop with a little less pitch. If all the cheap things fail.

20. Banned
    Learned a expensive lesson with mine. Make sure prop and motor are 100% before starting. Props need worked every year to stay true and brand new means nothing it most likely is off. Know your accurate p2p and rpms. With that info some guru's on here can get you to great performance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast