Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    You described it as "washing out and not grabbing" this is called cavitation blowout. A few things can cause blow out. Exactly what prop are you running and do you know your prop to pad height?. Do you know how many hours are on the prop? You said your mechanic set the prop to pad height so what is the measurement he set it at? Too many unknown variables to give a specific answer...more info is needed from the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    You described it as "washing out and not grabbing" this is called cavitation blowout. A few things can cause blow out. Exactly what prop are you running and do you know your prop to pad height?. Do you know how many hours are on the prop? You said your mechanic set the prop to pad height so what is the measurement he set it at? Too many unknown variables to give a specific answer...more info is needed from the OP.
    Now were getting somewhere. Basically the same question in post #4....
    Could be as simple as plugging a PVS hole if the prop has them. Would be a first for me to see a boat with bad spark plugs have enough power to run Ok once on pad and have enough low end power to cause a cavitation blow out..

I'd start with a tune up, then prop, then add the foil if all else fails. Plain, Plane, all the same when spoken, lol !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

4. Member
    I have a Stratos 285 with a 175 4 stroke. It will not take off with 2 fat guys, 2 full livewells an appreciable amount of gasoline, full fishing equipment and a cooler. It will eventually, but as far as a fast hole shot, not a chance.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    I have a Stratos 285 with a 175 4 stroke. It will not take off with 2 fat guys, 2 full livewells an appreciable amount of gasoline, full fishing equipment and a cooler. It will eventually, but as far as a fast hole shot, not a chance.
    When it stands up and drags out the hole shot how many rpms is it turning?

6. Member
    Don't know, and most times I fish alone, and block off the Starboard livewell. On plane I can exceed my 6100 RPM limiter, so I seldom go over 6000 RPM if in a hurry.
    If you really need to get on plane, turn the wheel full Port and describe a circle with the boat, it will plane out pretty quick in a turn.
    Just don't hit anything.

Don't know, and most times I fish alone, and block off the Starboard livewell. On plane I can exceed my 6100 RPM limiter, so I seldom go over 6000 RPM if in a hurry.
    If you really need to get on plane, turn the wheel full Port and describe a circle with the boat, it will plane out pretty quick in a turn.
    Just don't hit anything.
    If it wont come out of the hole..but it will hit the rev limiter once your going.. Sounds like you need to try some different props and or get a foil.

8. Member
    Just don't hit anything.
    Even just a quick turn to 10 o'clock and back helps for mine

9. Banned
    If your turning that many rpms during hole shot it's a prop issue or the motor isn't trimmed down. Ideally you should hit about 4,000 rpms while taking off and rpms will start to climb as the nose drops when the hull comes up out of the water.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jarhead175 View Post
    If your turning that many rpms during hole shot it's a prop issue or the motor isn't trimmed down. Ideally you should hit about 4,000 rpms while taking off and rpms will start to climb as the nose drops when the hull comes up out of the water.
    It takes me a while after I get on plane, maybe 15 seconds to get to 6000, but you must realize my motor has a governor that cuts it off at 6200 RPM. My prop is fine by me, I cruise at 56 MPH, plus Suzukis are harder to prop than most motors, I run a SS 3 blade 16 inch diameter, 24.5 pitch. They cost me $50.00 new, so that's what I use. I do not have my motor rigged to fully open the throttles, I go as fast as I want to go, I cannot afford another motor, I'm 76, hope it lasts me the rest of my fishing life.

11. Member
    using a blow-out ring? what is rpms when floor on a fully tucked motor on take-off?
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Its are part to get them right. this is a bote forim!
    2015 Legend V20
    250 ProXS
    Lowrance HDSLIVE 12s/16
    BBC Member since 2003

13. Bobby8
    Compression check lately? That was the issue with my 97 EFI.

Sounds like a weight problem go with 1/2 tank of fuel , both ditch the beer and lunch cooler and take a big dump before the launch

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12