Thread: Boggs?

Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar

Boggs?

Is Boggs lowered any in the fall of the year, like they do some of the other reservoirs in Indiana? Thinking about going to Patoka next week and thought I'd take one day and go up to Boggs, its not that far from French Lick/West Baden.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

Normal pool, the only time they lower it, is when they kill all the fish.

3. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    Thanks for the info Rhett.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yetti462 View Post
    Normal pool, the only time they lower it, is when they kill all the fish.
    Lol

5. Member
    When they open the so called dam, they can only lower it so much, leaving the deep main pool and when they poisoned the water, DNR knew that the poison wouldn’t reach all the fish in the deep pool. Left a lot of shad in the lake as well as crappie, bass, gills etc. plus, all the fish they saved out of the mud and from netting and shocking they mixed back in on the release as well as all the fingerlings restocked. I guess DNR now calls that a balanced lake stocking. You can find large schools of shad back in the lake today. With all the fishing pressure especially from the amish keeping everything they keep, you better fish it while you can as min a couple of years, it will be just like it was before the restocking. You would think DNR would learn something as this is the 3rd time to drain and restock.

6. Member
    Good luck Bill. I always loved that lake.
    Basscat!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cevans View Post
    When they open the so called dam, they can only lower it so much, leaving the deep main pool and when they poisoned the water, DNR knew that the poison wouldn’t reach all the fish in the deep pool. Left a lot of shad in the lake as well as crappie, bass, gills etc. plus, all the fish they saved out of the mud and from netting and shocking they mixed back in on the release as well as all the fingerlings restocked. I guess DNR now calls that a balanced lake stocking. You can find large schools of shad back in the lake today. With all the fishing pressure especially from the amish keeping everything they keep, you better fish it while you can as min a couple of years, it will be just like it was before the restocking. You would think DNR would learn something as this is the 3rd time to drain and restock.
    There has to be some shad in there........bass arent going to live on gills and crappie alone. They should have made the lake off limits to fishing for at least a year. And why anyone wants to fish down there in tournament is beyond me...all the fish are are 13.5-14.5 inches long and dont put up a fight....silly and just educating them for when they are fun to catch.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaBassMan View Post
    There has to be some shad in there........bass arent going to live on gills and crappie alone. They should have made the lake off limits to fishing for at least a year. And why anyone wants to fish down there in tournament is beyond me...all the fish are are 13.5-14.5 inches long and dont put up a fight....silly and just educating them for when they are fun to catch.
    there was tournament results posted in July with bass caught close to 5 pounds.
    Basscat!

9. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaBassMan View Post
    I've not been there for over 20 years. The reason I want to try it out is to just catch some fish. We plan to spend a couple of days fishing Patoka next week too...that would most likely equate to not catching much, if anything.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE

10. Member
    Lots of schools,of shad as they had a great spawn. Past 2 yrs, in the spring, bottom of the lake has been covered with a green slimy scum that will get on your bait every cast, then by mid June it all breaks loose and covers the water in small tiny pieces from top to bottom. If you suck that crap thru your motor, be sure to flush it out after fishing or it will dry and stop the engine up. North side of lake about a half mile is at least 2 dozen turkey barns and cattle pastures all amish owned. Not able to count what is west but every time it rains, everything dumps into Boggs. City of Loogoottee owns Boggs and they don’t test the water. Also you never see DNR on it much if ever. They gross as much as A million dollars a year off the income. I don’t keep any fish and have quit fishing it. Boggs is hammered by the amish as well as locals day and nite. 650 acres is the size. Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by cevans View Post
    Lots of schools,of shad as they had a great spawn. Past 2 yrs, in the spring, bottom of the lake has been covered with a green slimy scum that will get on your bait every cast, then by mid June it all breaks loose and covers the water in small tiny pieces from top to bottom. If you suck that crap thru your motor, be sure to flush it out after fishing or it will dry and stop the engine up. North side of lake about a half mile is at least 2 dozen turkey barns and cattle pastures all amish owned. Not able to count what is west but every time it rains, everything dumps into Boggs. City of Loogoottee owns Boggs and they don’t test the water. Also you never see DNR on it much if ever. They gross as much as A million dollars a year off the income. I don’t keep any fish and have quit fishing it. Boggs is hammered by the amish as well as locals day and nite. 650 acres is the size. Just my 2 cents.

WOW I have fished Boggs this year and it was great. I fished JULY and August the most
    SeaArk ZX200DC Mercury 115 FourStroke

12. Member
    I live 10 miles from it. Life member of BASS as I used to fish 15 or more tourneys a year in the late 70s, 80s and early 90s before burning out. Still fish Patoka, Dogwood, Monroe, Lemon, Cat, And occassionally Boggs and Brookville And East Fork of the White River.
    Last edited by cevans; 10-19-2018 at 10:17 PM.

13. Member
    We’re you at Boggs on Saturday? Saw a basscat out there in that wind. If that was you did you do any good?

14. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcksnbrds70 View Post
    We’re you at Boggs on Saturday? Saw a basscat out there in that wind. If that was you did you do any good?
    If you're referring to me, no I wasn't on Boggs last Saturday. I plan to head down that way this week though.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GRR884 View Post
    there was tournament results posted in July with bass caught close to 5 pounds.
    VERY few and far between......in a few years it will be lots of fun!