Thread: Sunshine Bridge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sunshine Bridge

Here we go again. Between service and deliveries this closure cost me at least 400 miles, that's just today! According to AAA it costs over 60 cents per mile total auto expense. Thats $ 240 bucks per day. A 90 day closure will cost $ 21,600 in extra miles, minimum of 7,200 miles per vehicle. Thats just business miles. Wonder if the crane/barge owner is responsible for that expense?
    Last edited by jcdogfish; 10-15-2018 at 02:38 PM.

2. Member
    It was Marquette transporters that hit the bridge so look and see
    Phillipians 4:13 I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

3. Banned
    Heard it could be closed for several months,sad for the people that it will affect.The bridge looks like it took a good hit just hope there inspection is very thorough of the whole structure,not just the area it was hit.

Quote Originally Posted by jcdogfish View Post
    Here we go again. Between service and deliveries this closure cost me at least 400 miles, that's just today! According to AAA it costs over 60 cents per mile total auto expense. Thats $ 240 bucks per day. A 90 day closure will cost $ 21,600 in extra miles, minimum of 7,200 miles per vehicle. Thats just business miles. Wonder if the crane/barge owner is responsible for that expense?
    They should be responsible for your loss , but I doubt that's gonna happen .
    BassCat-illac
    FastCat Fishin Team
    If you aint first , your last !!!
    All fat girls welcomed !!!!!

5. Member
    I'm gonna shoot the tv screen the next time I hear someone call this "an inconvenience". It is a major expense and loss of income for a lot of businesses. A lot of expense for working folks too.

6. Member
    Saw a lawyer on facebook telling people to save receipts and make notes on lost time and money. The lawyers will be lining up to sue.

That company will more than likely file bankruptcy and no one will see a dime from them unfortunately.

8. Banned
    [QUOTE=CaryLab;9737517]That company will more than likely file bankruptcy and no one will see a dime from them unfortunately.[/QUOTE

You are probably right.Never heard of this barge company but most likely they are not a big company.Just the repair cost to the bridge will sink them.

9. Member
    Check their website. Looks like it is not a small company. Well over 100 river tugs.

10. Member
    I think the Company is going to be held responsible for all damages.. Just like the sink hole they probably got insurance. The Sugar cane farmers wil be suing for sure. I’m sure the industry in the area will be compensated. That bridge was just redone so repairs should be minimal cause if I know the state every thing that needs to be fixed before and after the collision will be charged to this company. It took me 45 extra minutes to get to Hwy 70 yesterday going to my camp. The Sugar Cane trucks are terrible they are two to three inline at 40 mph and tracking gravel mud everywhere. I won’t be going that way for a while. Sorry for anyone who has to deal with this on a daily basis. You have my sympathy, they say the first responders are really having issues. The Company should have to pay for a helicopter for the extent of the repairs for responders.

11. Member
    Its right at 44 miles extra. I see they are saying 25000 commuters per day use the bridge. At 54 cents a mile that's almost 1.2 million dollars per day. We do service work on both sides of the river and our vehicles crossed 7 times (14 crossings)yesterday. $ 332.00 in mileage and 10-12 man hours. This is gonna be tough. May be a good time to retire.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BARRY J View Post
    Check their website. Looks like it is not a small company. Well over 100 river tugs.
    Took a look at there Website,looks likes it's not a small company.Just hope they have good insurance to pay for this mess there tug captain caused.

13. Member
    Wife had a doctor's appointment in Baton Rouge this week. Left at 8:30 for a 10:10 appointment and arrived at 10:25. Went over the I 10 bridge and traffic on La 1 was backed up almost to Brusly high school.
    All sheep are eventually led to slaughter

14. Member
    They are already trying to get out of paying for the Bridge. I don't think we will see a dime. My wife and I both use the bridge M-F. She now goes over the BR bridge and I use the Gramercy bridge.
    Estimated repair pic is 5 Mil and thy already filed with some Judge to cap their expense at 1.5 Mil. Who knows. The tug captain needs to be in jail.

15. Member
    Yea I don’t see this going well for anyone. The issue now should be how has this so called contractor been allowed to keep their license in spite of all the “accidents” (use this word lightly). They have been in several major incidents with barges running into and over the state and people’s property, causing sever damages, AND STILL they allowed to operate on the river with the companies that do their due diligence to operate in the safe and correct manner required by the Coast Guard. There should be an investigation to find out who drop the ball to allow this. We should all be calling our respective state reps to find out the culprit to this tragedy. And oh by the way it was a Great stroke of luck no one was Killed in this on the boat or the bridge. And someone may die from the indirect effect of this because of the logistics to get adequate help in an emergency. Please contact your state rep and ask when will an investigation be done as to why this company was able to continue when Their record has been so dismal as an Operator on the river for so long.

16. Member
    The federal government regulates interstate commerce and the Coast Guard issues licenses to river pilots, so any calls should be directed to your US congressmen and senators.

17. Member
    Called Congressman Graves office today. All the things that were stated before he verified they want to limit their responsibility. And they are begging hardship. I told him in spite of all the drama and who’s gonna pay. Someone allowed this company to continue to operate when they were bad actors. Someone let this company slip thru the cracks. That’s where the responsibility falls. I ask that his office launch an investigation as to why this happened and why it keeps happening. He said a lot but in a nut shell his office is looking at all aspects of this collision and he will be in the area this week to talk to people in the area. He said he’s Chairman
    of the Transportation and infrastructure subcommittee on water resources so he got the stroke to get to the bottom of it we will see. It’s an election year so if you want to make your voice heard now the time.

18. Member
    Read the title and thought someone had knocked down the Sunshine Causeway over Tampa Bay, AGAIN.

19. Member
    Im sure if you follow the trail it’ll lead to this Company lol..They’re responsible for alot of damages.
    Last edited by JR21RDC; 10-30-2018 at 12:49 PM. Reason: spelling

Lot of good comments here. I know most of the focus is on the Sunshine Bridge but all of this is a good reason to protest for a new bridge somewhere below Baton Rouge. They have been studies for 30 years. Surely by now somebody has a plan or a answer.

Jeff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast