Thread: stratos ASX...?

stratos ASX...?

what is the story on this boat?
    You should know that in bee tending if you don't shut your trap the bees will get out.

Alan Stinson X project. He was the lead engineer behind boat designs for Stratos. (as well as a few other boat manufacturers). Among boat builders the name Alan Stinson is legend. Stratos gave him the green light to build a boat that had one thing in mind...speed. The ASX was made of kevelar. It was supposed to be a one time limited run of only 100 boats made but I think only around 67 or so only got made. I might be off on the number 67 but I do recall 100 never got made only about 2/3 or 3/4 of the anticipated 100. Anyways they were made before 250 HP motors were common on the market so they were rigged with 225's. They had a slightly more narrow beam than a boat of comparable length. Once up on the pad they were a handful to drive but with 225 ponies they would scoot along pretty good. If you could control the chinewalk they were capable of 80-low 80's with 225 HP. At the time they were kind of high priced compared to most other boats.

This is just purely my opinion but the combination of the high price and the reputation they had for chinewalk made them a tough sell. Now by no means do I think they were a bad boat. I am simply just saying it was a hull you had better have previous experience driving at high speed and and willing to shell out a few more extra dollars. The average Joe was not going to sit down in one and run it up to low 80 with one hand on the wheel and sipping coffee with the other hand because it was a performance hull that happen to be a bass boat. This was the Stratos version of here is my Ferrari.

After typing my reply I done a quick google search. In 2001 the ASX was released with a 50K price tag. Today that is not uncommon but 17 years ago it was a hefty price tag. They claimed it was clocked at 88 mph with an Evinrude 225. I don't recall Gary Clouse being involved with the project but his name is also mentioned. I did know Gary Clouse worked for Stratos but I never recall him being part of the ASX project. Just in case you do not know who Gary Clouse is he is the current owner of Phoenix bass boats. The article may link Gary to the ASX but it is the brainchild of Alan Stinson...hence the name Alan Stinson X project aka ASX

Here is a link that is a good read...http://bassfan.com/news_article/471/...k#.W8TuUWhKiUk

According to that article the full run of 100 boats were made but for some reason I was thinking production stopped due to lack of sales and only 67 were made...either way (100, 67 or whatever #) a few people might consider one a collectors item. That statement would only apply to a small market of people because most have never heard of an ASX but for those that know what one is they know how rare it actually is.
    Last edited by JR19; 10-15-2018 at 02:59 PM.

4. Member
    theres one for sale on CL.
    You should know that in bee tending if you don't shut your trap the bees will get out.

post a link...if its the right color I might dip into my retirement

6. Member
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

7. Member
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    yessir.

That's a fine looking machine there!!!
    Just can't leave well enough alone!!

98 Stratos 273 w/ 150 Faststrike