Lowrance Point 1 spare prop tray

Has Anyone mounted their Lowrance point 1 GPS on the spare prop tray underneath the back compartment lid? I am trying to figure out if there would be too much interference or if the signal would be strong enough to go through the fiberglass lid?

2. Member
    I would not if I were you, any where on the top deck, we have put most on the gunnels in the back of the boats, installed several behind the drivers seat as well on the console. We need to know what boat you have also.

It’s a 2019 Ranger Z185. I really don’t want to drill any holes in the boat. I have seen some use double-sided tape and put it in the splash well in the back.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by j791 View Post
    It’s a 2019 Ranger Z185. I really don’t want to drill any holes in the boat. I have seen some use double-sided tape and put it in the splash well in the back.
    I have mounted them on the carpeted rear corners on either side of the battery box to avoid drilling in finished fiberglass. Retain some carpet to patch it if you remove it

5. Member
    Another double sided under battery compartment lid with ZERO reception or interference issue.
    2013 Z118 w/Merc 150 4S

6. Member

point 1 mounted to underside of Ranger lid

Has Anyone mounted their Lowrance point 1 GPS on the spare prop tray underneath the back compartment lid? I am trying to figure out if there would be too much interference or if the signal would be strong enough to go through the fiberglass lid?
    mine is mounted to the bottom of the battery compartment lid just right of center on a 2009 z520 and works great.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    " If you are going to be stupid, you have got to be tough!"

What did you use to mount it...double sided 3M tape only or did you use Velcro?

j791, hope you don't mine me adding this for more information.

My boat is a 2013 Z520c Mercury Pro XS 250

I am in the process of installing a Point One Antenna also. And would like to know the very best place to mount it, other than the rear top side of the gunnel.
    The top rear corner on the carpet is ok with me, if that is a very good place. Looking for other options and more pics if possible.

Also found this video today, does this really help with the compass finding the best location, and I am thinking the boat power should be turn on during this compass test.
    His guy never said that or showed the test either.

Last edited by Oneida Ranger Z520c; 10-15-2018 at 07:37 PM.
    2013 Ranger Z520c Mercury 250 Pro XS
    1990 Ranger 361V 1991 Johnson 150 Fast Strike J150GLEIS

I am going to mount mine under the battery compartment lid as close to the rear transducer as possible. This way when I mark waypoints with the rear transducer my point 1 is right there. I am using the NEMA network to connect my front graph as well. The bow will be set to “this unit” but still utilize the Point 1 heading compass (no spinning map) and my console graph will be set to “point 1” to mark the most accurate waypoints. I guess you could use a compass to find the least interference, but I want mine out of sight (they are ugly) and next to the transducer with no holes in the boat.

I am going to mount mine under the battery compartment lid as close to the rear transducer as possible. This way when I mark waypoints with the rear transducer my point 1 is right there. I am using the NEMA network to connect my front graph as well. The bow will be set to “this unit” but still utilize the Point 1 heading compass (no spinning map) and my console graph will be set to “point 1” to mark the most accurate waypoints. I guess you could use a compass to find the least interference, but I want mine out of sight (they are ugly) and next to the transducer with no holes in the boat.
    I agree with you, plus that fact there could be a trip hazard at times mounted on the deck.
    Looks like the pics above (under the lid) were screwed in and not using tape. And adding a stand off spacer between the lid.
    2013 Ranger Z520c Mercury 250 Pro XS
    1990 Ranger 361V 1991 Johnson 150 Fast Strike J150GLEIS