Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonJT View Post
    The Discovery Channel is supposed to air the coverage of the BPT events. I have since heard that Discovery Channel said they weren't interested in airing fishing tournaments. I can't confirm that though. But Discovery Channel and fishing tournaments seems like an odd pairing to me.

Quote Originally Posted by smbass77 View Post
    what I hear is in 2019 Discovery is getting away from fishing/hunting shows. Those with contracts for 2019 will be honored but it will go away in 2020.
    If I recall correctly, doesn't the big money guy behind BPT (other than JM) own the Outdoor and Discovery Channels?
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    If I recall correctly, doesn't the big money guy behind BPT (other than JM) own the Outdoor and Discovery Channels?
    THAT SOUNDS RIGHT TO ME....
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    He does OC, and WFN. Don't think he owns Discovery though.

Quote Originally Posted by OkieBud View Post
    The grass is not always greener on the side of the fence..
    If it is greener on the other side its usually because its fertilized with BS. I think a lot of these young guys got pressured into this deal.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSexyPhoenix View Post
    If it is greener on the other side its usually because its fertilized with BS. I think a lot of these young guys got pressured into this deal.
    Me too.

6. Member
    So maybe im missing something but where is the pressure. Guy is offered XYZ and X amount of time to respond yes or no. He could say no and keep on doing what hes been doing all along.

Is there really pressure there ?

7. Member
    Nope, and BAssFan has an article up today that the BPT Championship announced for 2019 will now not happen until 2020. Hasn't even started yet and they are back tracking on promises
    Duckett said they have been planning this deal for...7 years. Maybe they need...7 more....

Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    So maybe im missing something but where is the pressure. Guy is offered XYZ and X amount of time to respond yes or no. He could say no and keep on doing what hes been doing all along.

Is there really pressure there ?
    If you listen to several of them that got an invite, they said that they were left with a lot of unanswered questions and they didn't feel comfortable with the sales pitch. I saw a post on fb the other day by Bagley Baits and it specifically mentioned anglers being in a tough spot of having to gamble on whether or not the tour will be all that it is suggested to be. Bagley posted this on drew bentons page and it sounded like they weren't sure either. I would bet a lot of sponsors had some reservations about the whole thing. I think the guys at the end of their careers will make money from the deal and the newer guys will be left holding the bag.

9. Member
    I just read that Bassfan article. Duckett is a big proponent of "festivals" after tourneys it says. Anglers will use their own trucks and boats as a stage, and hype their sponsors. Wow, cannot wait to see one big commercial.... Who's going????

10. Banned
    This is My conjecture: It'll be true game changer; like; like; Share* and subscribe if You haven't...

11. Member
    If you listen to several of them that got an invite, they said that they were left with a lot of unanswered questions and they didn't feel comfortable with the sales pitch. I saw a post on fb the other day by Bagley Baits and it specifically mentioned anglers being in a tough spot of having to gamble on whether or not the tour will be all that it is suggested to be. Bagley posted this on drew bentons page and it sounded like they weren't sure either. I would bet a lot of sponsors had some reservations about the whole thing. I think the guys at the end of their careers will make money from the deal and the newer guys will be left holding the bag.
    Well okay.. Then why did they agree? Ive had plenty of recruiters approach me about gigs that appeared too good to be true. I didnt take them.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lakebouef5 View Post
    I just read that Bassfan article. Duckett is a big proponent of "festivals" after tourneys it says. Anglers will use their own trucks and boats as a stage, and hype their sponsors. Wow, cannot wait to see one big commercial.... Who's going????
    I read the same article. Sounds pretty boring to me. "Weigh-ins and sponsor expos have long been the biggest draws for fans attending professional bass tournaments in person. The new Bass Pro Tour, which will operate under the Major League Fishing format of weighing and immediately releasing each fish that's caught, will eliminate the former entirely, and there might not be a lot of the latter during its debut season." I'd be willing to bet that a lot of the "Post game show" will be in a bass pro shops parking lots...

I think you're correct and I misread it. Still not real clear though.
    I read it after seeing you guys talk about it and I agree that it is unclear what they mean. I am pretty sure that they just meant that there won't be the big name sponsors. But then again, maybe they meant that because they couldn't get sponsors lined up, they also won't have the championship.
    2007 Triton TR-21X w/ Pro XS 250
    6" T&H Hi Jacker w/ 2" spacers
    26P Tempest

14. Banned
    If Mr. Duckett were to ask, I'm sure Kris Jenner would tell Him that to stay in the spotlight, sometimes You gotta get dirty. Daughter gets tinkled on and becomes a STAR and Her husband becomes a Doubles Partner for Celebrity tennis. Does Mr. Duckett have the gumption?

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    Well okay.. Then why did they agree? Ive had plenty of recruiters approach me about gigs that appeared too good to be true. I didnt take them.

Promises of greatness... Did you listen to the Ike Facebook announcement, all you needed to know was said by one of the pros that reluctantly agreed.

Its ok you can still be a fan of the “show me the money tour”.
    Last edited by grout-scout; 10-15-2018 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Iphone, I hate you

16. Banned
    Considering what B.A.S.S. did was the equivalent of buying the ol' lady a bracelet after hubby get's caught sticking his pen in the company's ink well.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pantera61 View Post
    Considering what B.A.S.S. did was the equivalent of buying the ol' lady a bracelet after hubby get's caught sticking his pen in the company's ink well.
    How so? Because pro anglers said it? I mean...BASS is a business like any other.

To me some of these pros sounded like spoiled brats. They want retirement plans? Guess what....half of working America does t have a retirement plan either.

18. Member
    Same pro anglers that said the Classic was the best ever and said a year later the MLF World championship was the best ever. Heck, some of them had 3 reel company sponsors in five years....all the best ever ha

I hope it all works out for the anglers, but it’s hard to say what I would have done had I been invited. I’m a BMP fan and was sort of suprised he went to BPT. There is something about Duckett that gives me an uneasy feeling. Larry
    There’s no use being stupid if you’re not willing to show it off.

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Pantera61 View Post

Well they sure seemed happy enough all those years now didn’t they? They’ll be crying in a few years.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast