Momentary beep on first start of the day

250 Pro XS 1B465109

I get a very short lived chirp (after the normal startup chirp) while cranking on the first start of the day. I assume this is low voltage? Does not happen on a warm engine and no faults are recorded.

Main engine wiring looks great no sign of corrosion but there are several feet of wire for it wrapped up in the bilge should I redo it maximum gauge and shortest length possible and then check the starter if the issue persists? I also notice that when running the trim it drops the voltage a little under 12v.

Battery is an X2 less than a year old so I do not suspect it.
    Last edited by Jtreed99; 10-15-2018 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Added serial number

2. Member
    Is the start battery FULLY charged, with a battery charger, before EVERY outing?

3. Member
    Of course. The 60 amp 4 bank dual pro makes that part pretty easy.

4. Member
    The last time I was out I squeezed the primer bulb a lot and firmly and it did not give me a beep. So i'm thinking its a fuel / filter issue or the primer bulb might need changing. I have been putting this off because it does start up and runs fine. I have seen this on a previous post.
    2012 Ranger Z518
    Motor Info:
    200 XS
    Serial number 1B882317
    Model number 1200P73EY

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to Review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and update your thread with the Required Info.

Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Updated with serial number. Thank you Jeff. In my case I don’t believe it is related to the primer bulb as mine is always pumped to firm. Bulb is less than 2 years old and filter was installed in February.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtreed99 View Post
    Of course. The 60 amp 4 bank dual pro makes that part pretty easy.
    Then the problem is the Battery, or the Battery Charger.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Then the problem is the Battery, or the Battery Charger.
    I’m not sure there is a problem. The only symptom is the beep. The motor turns over very quickly. All 4 depth finders and all livewell pumps work all day even on days where I fish 10 hours and only run the big motor 3-4 minutes the whole day. IF this chirp is low voltage, which no one has confirmed yet, I would be far more suspect of the wiring to the engine than the battery or the charger that show absolutely no sign of having any issue. All I need to know is if that chirp is a low voltage alarm.

9. Member
    Check the voltage at the battery at the EXACT moment the chirp occurs and report results. CDS will confirm the reason for the chirp.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Check the voltage at the battery at the EXACT moment the chirp occurs and report results. CDS will confirm the reason for the chirp.
    CDS will confirm in real time or in fault history? No faults are recorded in history and it doesn’t do it every time. What voltage at battery and at engine are acceptable during cranking?

11. Member
    Real Time. Tell us what your voltage is and we will tell you if its incorrect. Use a DVOM.

12. Member
    Listen to Savage. I'd bet 2 of every 3 optimax owners has heard this beep. Almost always a battery that does not meet the optimax cranking spec. Adding 3 big sonar units drains a ton of power. The opti doesn't like this. The remainder of the problems are usually wiring-related. Poor/corroded/loose connections at the battery, or poor/corroded cables, etc.

First crank of the day has a cold block with thick oil everywhere. Then you have probably just trimmed the motor up and down while unloading, then turning on the sonar units that have to go through satellite acquisition and such. All equal significant current drain You might try cranking the first time before powering up the electronics and such. Also check the approved battery list at the top of this page.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

13. Member
    Thanks gentlemen. Old timer the battery is a 31 AGM X2 less than a year old so I have the correct battery, clamp terminals, nylocks etc but I realize this doesn’t mean the battery isn’t bad. Hopefully that’s the issue since it has 48 month replacement though I don’t suspect it’s the battery and lifting that 70+ lb behemoth out of the bilge is always a good time.

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    As suggested, check/verify battery and cable connections are exactly as they should be.

Suspect if you were to have the Run History and Freeze Frame (Fault) History read (and printed), you would note a lot of Neutral Overspeed Faults (data showing no throttle input, engine temp below 60 degrees F).

That was a harmless "gremlin" in the earlier calibrations.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor