1990 Ranger 481v Fuel Gauge Replacement

Does anyone out there have experience with replacing the fuel gauges in this boat? One tank reads fine when sitting still, but I get significant bounce when on the lake making it hard to tell how much I have in the tank. The other doesn't read at all. Is there a possibility that I could upgrade the gauges to newer ones that read more consistent, or is this just something that you deal with in older boats?

The problem with the one tank is likely the sending unit, not the gauge. Boat gas gauges seldom read very accurately. I doubt that a new gauge will fix the problem.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

3. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    My old 481 fuel gauge is just as bad. Readings fluctuate as much as 1/2 the tank in rough water. I think the issue here is a lack of baffles in the tank, so the fuel has nothing to prevent it from sloshing around. IMO, new tanks would probably be the best fix for this problem.
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

4. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    I just replaced my float in my 1990 374V and I am vey satisfied with the new float and how the tank reads now it use to be just like you described but with the new float it is a lot more stable maybe the old wooden floats are the problem.
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

5. Member
    I know this is very old thread but my 89 374v fuel gauge is not working for either tank. I thought of checking / changing sending units. I assume it's the cap with the two wires. Just with older stuff can be fragile so wanted to see if you guys have any tips. Thank you

have 93 481vs same problem need to be sitting still for a good read off both tanks.

7. Member
    This is what I used all my 481 have never had a problem since.

ITYAGUY Fuel Gas Sender Stainless Steel Fuel Sending Unit Marine Boat Water Level Gauge Sensor 5 Hole fit