Striker 9SV contour question

Tried out my new Striker 9SV unit for the first time yesterday.

Spent literaly 9 hours drawing a contour map and still only about 30 % done. Plan is to draw a complete detailed map of the entire lake then play with the down vu/side vu, etc.

Want the map to have no “gaps” in the coutour lines and so far so good as I am taking my time and being very thorough.

Question one is - if while you are recording and the “icon” goes from green to yellow or red due to boat speed will the unit overlay an inferior “map” on a good “map” that was drawn while a green icon was being displayed ?

Question two - if the answer to question one is yes, is the only solution to “stop recording” while running the boat at full speed and what happens if I forget to “stop recording” under these circumstances ?

Question three - is there any way to customize the depth shading so that the color changes at, for example 3 foot intervals, as opposed to the standard 5 foot intervals ?

Thanks

p.s. - this is gonna be really good as I have already found a bunch of really promising drops, humps, points, etc that should hold fish that I had no idea existed and I have been fishing this lake for over 15 years. This is gonna be fun !

2. Member
    1. No it will just quit recording until you slow down and then start recording there.

2. n/a

3. I'll have to check, I can't remember.

SE Kansas grass grower

ROCK CHALK

3. Member
    Not to steal your thread, but related question. In the 9 hours you spent mapping how many acres would you say you mapped?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 12poundbass View Post
    Not to steal your thread, but related question. In the 9 hours you spent mapping how many acres would you say you mapped?
    Probably a little over 600 acres. There was a learning curve. The setup on my boat has the unit about 6 feet from me. After doing quite a bit I “zoomed” in and found quite a few “gaps” so I had to retrace. Will go faster on the rest of the lake, I hope.

Not so sure about Garmin customer service. Called to ask my above question on contour shading as I simply couldn’t/can’t get it to work. After an hour and 2 minutes on the phone I realized that the customer service guy was looking at a 4 inch model even though he knew I had a 9 inch model. What he was looking at was NOT what I was seeing on the screen (Duh). Told him we were obviously accomplishing nothing and suggested he get a hold of a 9 inch model or find someone that had a 9 inch model. He agreed and said he or someone else would call/e-mail me. That was almost 4 hours before their office closes (closed now). So far no call, no e-mail. We’ll see.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Davecon View Post
    Probably a little over 600 acres. There was a learning curve. The setup on my boat has the unit about 6 feet from me. After doing quite a bit I “zoomed” in and found quite a few “gaps” so I had to retrace. Will go faster on the rest of the lake, I hope.

Not so sure about Garmin customer service. Called to ask my above question on contour shading as I simply couldn’t/can’t get it to work. After an hour and 2 minutes on the phone I realized that the customer service guy was looking at a 4 inch model even though he knew I had a 9 inch model. What he was looking at was NOT what I was seeing on the screen (Duh). Told him we were obviously accomplishing nothing and suggested he get a hold of a 9 inch model or find someone that had a 9 inch model. He agreed and said he or someone else would call/e-mail me. That was almost 4 hours before their office closes (closed now). So far no call, no e-mail. We’ll see.
    Thanks for the reply. I've wondered how long it would take to map a lake. Thankfully the largest lake I fish is around 450 acres so that's not too bad.

I don't have any Garmin units yet but I've been looking into them for quite a while and I've heard nothing but good things about their customer service, so just try and be patient they'll help you out.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 12poundbass View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I've wondered how long it would take to map a lake. Thankfully the largest lake I fish is around 450 acres so that's not too bad.

I don't have any Garmin units yet but I've been looking into them for quite a while and I've heard nothing but good things about their customer service, so just try and be patient they'll help you out.
    Same here, heard nothing but good things from various sources. Hopefully I’ll get some help tomorrow and get these glitches cleared up. I’ll let you know.

7. Member
    Follow up on Garmin customer service.

Talked with them this morning. They were wonderful ! Helped me with all my questions and walked me thru everything. I was very impressed !

Ringfry - FYI - per Garmin tech, QuickDraw WILL OVERLAY a “good map” with an inferior map when running at high speed ! Told to to turn the “recording” OFF when running at high speed.

8. Member
    Davecon, it will distort contours if you are going over a good map faster but still slow enough to record. I've never noticed it doing anything if going too fast to record at all until I slowed enough to record. I'll have to check that out more next time out.

SE Kansas grass grower

ROCK CHALK

Quote Originally Posted by ring fry View Post
    Davecon, it will distort contours if you are going over a good map faster but still slow enough to record. I've never noticed it doing anything if going too fast to record at all until I slowed enough to record. I'll have to check that out more next time out.

SE Kansas grass grower
    I agree with this. I've never bothered to stop recording when jumping on plane and losing depth (get the red circle) on the PS30 I use for QD recording. When I get the red circle, my system doesn't ever show any contours being recorded.
    Garmin Pro Team

10. Member
    This issue of bad map over good map is probably solvable programmatically, although don't know whether the unit is capable of doing it. The source data (nmea sentence) for gps info already has that signal quality information in it, so it seems to be a matter of comparing whether new data is better than existing data. IMO of course..

I did get confirmation that QD always records with the yellow circle. Note with red circle, at times it still could record contours, other times not depending on several different factors.
    Garmin Pro Team

12. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    A few weekends ago while mapping, i was moving to another spot and left it recording.....as long as i had a xdcr reading it left a trail/contour lines on QD.......i know it may not be accurate at that spot, but i was not trying to map the are just moving....this was with an Echomap Plus unit..
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS