Banned

Where do the crappie hide?

I can never find them! I know they like brush, but Lake McClure doesn't have much in the way of brush. Creek channels?

Round here...they are deep! I mean like 20'+
    Been fishin' since I was 5 years old...Thanks Grandpa!

3. California Fishing Moderator Captain Babito A7T3C's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bshort View Post
    I can never find them! I know they like brush, but Lake McClure doesn't have much in the way of brush. Creek channels?
    I struggle to find them on McClure as well. New Melones is different though, and I usually have success in several coves. Keep an eye out for submerged brush/trees with your electronics.

Not only Crappie, but bass and other fish tend to hold to the same spots year in and out. Keep at it until you find a solid spot, and revisit it so often each season.

Most of the Crappie we catch tend to be within 25ft. What kind of lures are you using?
    2017 Nitro Z18 - Mercury ProXS 175 - 24P Fury - Elite 9 TI2 - Fortrex

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by A7T3C View Post
    I struggle to find them on McClure as well. New Melones is different though, and I usually have success in several coves. Keep an eye out for submerged brush/trees with your electronics.

Not only Crappie, but bass and other fish tend to hold to the same spots year in and out. Keep at it until you find a solid spot, and revisit it so often each season.

Most of the Crappie we catch tend to be within 25ft. What kind of lures are you using?
    I haven't been to Melones in years (probably should) and I could always find some there. Melones was always good for standing timber and brush, but now I'm about 2 1/2 hours from there. McClure is more of a muddy, rocky pit. Maybe I need to expand my horizons some.

I usually use hair jigs or other small grub jigs when fishing for panfish. It's nice to get into some when you have kids on board and want to get them on some fish.

5. California Fishing Moderator Captain Babito A7T3C's Avatar
    I haven't been to Melones in years (probably should) and I could always find some there. Melones was always good for standing timber and brush, but now I'm about 2 1/2 hours from there. McClure is more of a muddy, rocky pit. Maybe I need to expand my horizons some.

I usually use hair jigs or other small grub jigs when fishing for panfish. It's nice to get into some when you have kids on board and want to get them on some fish.
    You should definitely check it out! Lately the bite has been a bit tough with the water temps changing/transition. But it should pick up really soon I'd think. I'm lucky enough to have most of the mother lode lakes within an hour and some change to me. I fish Melones year round, and it's definitely my favorite body of water.

We too use mostly hair jigs, and both bass/crappie tend to slam the yamamoto 5" grub quite nicely even.
    2017 Nitro Z18 - Mercury ProXS 175 - 24P Fury - Elite 9 TI2 - Fortrex

McClure is more of a muddy, rocky pit.
    Absolutely! I would suggest you all stay as far away from that body of water as possible, it absolutely sucks!

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMouth View Post
    Absolutely! I would suggest you all stay as far away from that body of water as possible, it absolutely sucks!
    McClure is the only lake I can almost always catch in. Pedro skunks me every time.

8. Member
    I am in the southern part of the state and all I have found while trying to catch crappie were aggressive 4" bass. Just ordered some new humminbirds and about to get an Ultrex so hopefully I can finally find some. Now that I got the live well working my son is very excited to catch something we can put in it.

My go to for crappie around here...

Northland Tackle white w/ pink 1/16 oz jig head
    https://shop.northlandtackle.com/jigs/rz-jig/

Berkley Gulp Minnow white
    http://www.berkley-fishing.com/berkl...sz=16&start=54
    Been fishin' since I was 5 years old...Thanks Grandpa!