TR 20 Driving issues

Buddy of mine bought one this past weekend. One of the "bay" series with no carpet. Got a 225 Yamaha on the back. Owner told him it was a 75mph boat. Running a 25 fury. Well, I get in it with him yesterday afternoon and try to peak the boat out for him. Been a while since I have had to "drive" a boat and MAN what a problem. When it gets about 67-68mph, the nose starts bobing/weavig extremely bad. I tried to drive it out of it and even pushed it a little to much trying to get through it speed wise but had to back out. I did this several times until he told me enough Are these boats known for this or is the motor not set right? I did not measure pad. Thanks.
    1997 STRATOS 285 PE EVINRUDE INTRUDER 175

That is chine walking. Yes, Triton have become famous for it BUT all high performance bass boats will do it. The severity of each is very different. He just needs to learn how to drive it or just keep it below the speed where it starts. It can be minimized with a balanced load, and getting more weight to the rear. The right prop set at the proper height also helps. Some good Triton guys will be on shortly to help specifically about a TR20.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    That is chine walking. Yes, Triton have become famous for it BUT all high performance bass boats will do it. The severity of each is very different. He just needs to learn how to drive it or just keep it below the speed where it starts. It can be minimized with a balanced load, and getting more weight to the rear. The right prop set at the proper height also helps. Some good Triton guys will be on shortly to help specifically about a TR20.
    Yea, I know it is chine walking. I could learn to drive it but would need seat time w/o him in boat being scared to death! I will go measure pop to pad and see where it is.

4. Member
    I would NOT change any of the set-up IF the boat can run 75 MPH with a GOOD driver........Learn to drive BEFORE making set-up changes to fix a driver problem, or you will be chasing your tail trying to fix a problem that is sitting behind the steering wheel.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    I would NOT change any of the set-up IF the boat can run 75 MPH with a GOOD driver........Learn to drive BEFORE making set-up changes to fix a driver problem, or you will be chasing your tail trying to fix a problem that is sitting behind the steering wheel.
    I understand totally. It has just been a LONG time since I had to "drive" a boat at high speed. Thanks

6. Member
    Seat time is what it’s all about in these boats. And I agree with Savage. It that boat will run 75 don’t mess with it. Then you will know for sure if it’s driver or BS when it won’t run 75. I’m not sure that’s enough prop.
    2020 Caymas CX21 Pro
    Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Serial# 2B686100

Quote Originally Posted by drake322 View Post
    Buddy of mine bought one this past weekend. One of the "bay" series with no carpet. Got a 225 Yamaha on the back. Owner told him it was a 75mph boat. Running a 25 fury. Well, I get in it with him yesterday afternoon and try to peak the boat out for him. Been a while since I have had to "drive" a boat and MAN what a problem. When it gets about 67-68mph, the nose starts bobing/weavig extremely bad. I tried to drive it out of it and even pushed it a little to much trying to get through it speed wise but had to back out. I did this several times until he told me enough Are these boats known for this or is the motor not set right? I did not measure pad. Thanks.
    I have this boat with a mercury 225. how I learned it was get it planed out then start bumping the trim up. when it would start walking I would bump the trim back down. I done this until I could get to full trim. but I agree 100% with the previous post. nothing will cure it but seat time!

8. Member
    You just need to get use to driving it, try to keep the boat guessing. By that I mean giving the steering wheel little 1-2" rotations or pops back and forth this will keeps the boat from getting into a rhythm. Holding the wheel in one place is the worst thing you can do, it will walk on you fast doing that.
    2021 Phoenix 921 ProXP w/Mercury 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke
    Bow Garmin Force, Garmin 126SV and 12"Solix, Mega 360, Livescope
    Console Garmin 126SV and 12"Solix
    Ionic 125ah, 3 Battleborn 100ah, Power pole charge, 8ft Power Poles

Catch and Release for our children's future.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassgreg View Post
    You just need to get use to driving it, try to keep the boat guessing. By that I mean giving the steering wheel little 1-2" rotations or pops back and forth this will keeps the boat from getting into a rhythm. Holding the wheel in one place is the worst thing you can do, it will walk on you fast doing that.
    This guy knows what he's talking about.

I've got a tr21 with 225 Yamaha and man it can get to 74 75ish, but it starts walking something awful at 68 or so. My best trick is to kinda start popping the wheel a little, maybe hold it to the left a little or to the right.

My brother bought a new TR 21 performance hull, can't remember what the exact hull model was in 2007,with a 250 Pro XS. At 64 mph it would duck and dive and felt like it was about to swap ends. It took him some seat time, now he can drive it to 78.5 without even thinking about it, just minor adjustments and never let the steering wheel sit in one place. Almost like YOU keep the boat guessing instead of the boat making you guess where it is going to go.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx 201 View Post
    My brother bought a new TR 21 performance hull, can't remember what the exact hull model was in 2007,with a 250 Pro XS. At 64 mph it would duck and dive and felt like it was about to swap ends. It took him some seat time, now he can drive it to 78.5 without even thinking about it, just minor adjustments and never let the steering wheel sit in one place. Almost like YOU keep the boat guessing instead of the boat making you guess where it is going to go.
    Sounds like driving an ol Ford with a set Q-Buckshots Always moving the wheel because of road walk!

12. Member
    I had a 16' 8" champion with a Chopper prop on it and it was evil and walked badly. A friend of mine got in it with me and he drove. Before we got up on plane he told me to watch the nose and if it moved to the right even just a little yank the wheel to the left just slightly like the 1 to 2 inches Bassgreg was talking about. He showed me how to do it and then we swapped seats and I tried it and problem solved. But man that is spooky the first time it happens to you.

13. Member
    I just came from a champion 203 with a 225 opti, that I could run 71-73 in, on average. I had it set up for top end. That boat was cake to drive...

i just got a 2001, tr-20 with a 225 efi a few months ago. It came with a trophy 25 on it, and it drove like shit with that prop. First thing I noticed was, it wasn’t enough prop for it. Also, the chine walking was horrible. Believe me when I tell you that coming from the champion to the triton, is like learning how to drive all over again.

I picked up a fury 26 and a balanced/ blue printed/ cup added tempest 26. I am also carrying two 12’ talons and a hydrolic jackplate.

i still have not been able to run the boat to its full potential, but just today I was able to run it to 75.2mph with next to no Chine walk. When I got the boat, at 65mph, it would start to walk so bad. Just takes seat time. Do not try to drive through the chine walk. You need to learn how to prevent it. The tempest prop and raising the jackplate to around 3” PTP made a big difference. Apparently this hull is one of the faster ones. I did not know that when I bought the boat.

before you know it, you will be counter steering to prevent the chine walk before it even happens.

14. Member
    The trick to chine walking is to not let the boat start. The prop wants to turn the boat to the right because fo rotation, this means to counter act that rotation you must turn the steering wheel to the left when the boat is on pad. In the old days we did not have hydraulic steering and because of wheel torque you always were pulling the wheel to the left.

15. Kansas Bass Club Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Brit P View Post
    I had a 16' 8" champion with a Chopper prop on it and it was evil and walked badly. A friend of mine got in it with me and he drove. Before we got up on plane he told me to watch the nose and if it moved to the right even just a little yank the wheel to the left just slightly like the 1 to 2 inches Bassgreg was talking about. He showed me how to do it and then we swapped seats and I tried it and problem solved. But man that is spooky the first time it happens to you.
    How long ago was it you had this boat?