Thread: jasper

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

jasper

Who was it in the stroker that sunk at Jasper? Any one on here? What happened? I got there Saturday morning and have heard 10 stories about how and what happened.
    xb-21 prosport 225 pro xs

2. Member
    Just got back from vacation heard matt and james had an accident from a cruiser wave hope all is well!!!!

3. Member
    That's what I have heard. Haven't talked to anyone but I understand James didn't go to the Hospital, just a hot tub and walker and Matt has a back problem that can be cured with a brace while his spine heals. This was on Facebook Sat. Things may have changed since then.
    Quote Originally Posted by bassworm1 View Post
    Just got back from vacation heard matt and james had an accident from a cruiser wave hope all is well!!!!

4. Member
    They are saying the reason the boat sank was because the battery came loose and knocked a hole in the sponson. The boat was recovered.

Looks like it popped a hole in the bottom......but actually came out through the top cap....
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Iowa/Wisconsin/Hunting & Gun Lodge/Stroker Moderator Wags's Avatar
    The bottom hole was from the battery as seen in the picture flopping around caused the hole from the outside in.
    Thank God they both are ok.
    LeaLea

witnessed this Accident,, we were one of the boats that went over to help,, it was nasty for sure,,glad everyone was ok Knew the driver was ok just had not heard anything else about the Passenger

8. aka Strokedyamaha StrokerSmoker's Avatar
    I think if the battery had not come loose and become a projectile the boat wouldn’t have been damaged...had a similar experience and thinking that too the boat was damage by the battery becoming a 60+ lb sledgehammer

Hi performance parts or a Yamaha power head visit
    Hydro-Tec's web site @ http://www.yamaha-rebuild.com/
    Paul Hottman Hydro-Tec's Pro staff since 1998

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StrokerSmoker View Post
    I think if the battery had not come loose and become a projectile the boat wouldn’t have been damaged...had a similar experience and thinking that too the boat was damage by the battery becoming a 60+ lb sledgehammer
    Looked like the top cap separated too, Paul.
    Mr StrokerDee :thumb

Looks like a Northstar gp31. Those things are 75 pounds. That is one big wrecking ball!!

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

11. aka Strokedyamaha StrokerSmoker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MrStrokerDee View Post
    Looked like the top cap separated too, Paul.
    yes when a battery hits the top cap it can separate

12. Member
    Lets talk battery hold downs. I have 3 large optima's held to the alum plate Chub glasses into the floorboards. They are held in with a 2" X 1/2" alum bar with 4 ea 5/16" J-Bolts sitting in front of the off shore trim pump. There is a J'Bolt on the end of the 2 outside batteries and one on each side of the center battery. There is also a 1/8" thick alum tray they sit in that is sandwiched between the batteries and floor. Based on James rig I doubt mine would stay put as it would be 180 lbs trying to break free. They have never come loose to date. Is there a better way to hold batteries down to keep them from braking loose or is the floor going to give way?

13. Member
    Prairieville, Louisiana / Zolfo Springs, Florida
    Dean I don't think so but what is required which does not happen very often is maintenance. That along with everything else needs to be tightened ever so often not just placed in the boat and forgot about.

14. aka Strokedyamaha StrokerSmoker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Strokerdean View Post
    Lets talk battery hold downs. I have 3 large optima's held to the alum plate Chub glasses into the floorboards. They are held in with a 2" X 1/2" alum bar with 4 ea 5/16" J-Bolts sitting in front of the off shore trim pump. There is a J'Bolt on the end of the 2 outside batteries and one on each side of the center battery. There is also a 1/8" thick alum tray they sit in that is sandwiched between the batteries and floor. Based on James rig I doubt mine would stay put as it would be 180 lbs trying to break free. They have never come loose to date. Is there a better way to hold batteries down to keep them from braking loose or is the floor going to give way?

I might put 8 screws in my battery tray instead of 4 on james it doesn't look like there was a tray attached to the battery.....I wonder how it was strapped down......I saw a pic of him working in the battery area before the accident....saw a ratchet strap hanging out too so I guess the battery could have slipped out......even the billet hold downs only have 4 screws holding it in place

15. Member
    Paul, are your saying add more screws to hold the tray down to the floor board? I guess my concern is if the four J-Bolts straighten out the batteries come loose. I have thought about adding another top bar and more J-Bolts going thru the pan and floor, but again with 180 pounds sitting there not sure it would help. That being said anything should help.
    What are others doing for hold down's?
    Should I start a new thread for Battery Hold Downs instead of this Jasper thread?
    Quote Originally Posted by StrokerSmoker View Post
    I might put 8 screws in my battery tray instead of 4 on james it doesn't look like there was a tray attached to the battery.....I wonder how it was strapped down......I saw a pic of him working in the battery area before the accident....saw a ratchet strap hanging out too so I guess the battery could have slipped out......even the billet hold downs only have 4 screws holding it in place

16. Member
    Dean i think it needs a new thread so people could look it up in a search. We all know this isnt the first time a battery has come loose in a boat, any boat. and good anchoring systems would benfit everybody. But like conner said alot is maintenance ive been guilty of it doing maintenance on a battery and get in a hurry and find out a couple weeks later i didnt even secure it it happens.

I strap mine to the floor instead of the tray...
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

18. Member
    This post has me paying more attention to my battery tie-downs too. Stroker or not. I used to do vibration analysis and one of things that an analyst knows well is what a tiny bit of inertia will do on a weighted object. Batteries are heavy and if the straps are a little bit loose I can see clearly how much G-Force they would generate with little movement. I'll be keeping a much better check on mine I'll tell you that. Like anybody who has ever ran high speeds on the water will tell ya; it's not if you will go swimming one day it is when. I don't want to go swimming but I also don't want my boat destroyed in the process.

19. Member
    What ever happen to the boat . Did they repair it . I would think they would have to pop the cap to get all the wet foam out ?

20. Member
    Foam? If there was foam it wouldn't have sunk, lol
    Mr StrokerDee :thumb

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast