Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Jerkbait Rod Specs?

I'd like to learn the jerkbait this year but I don't think I have the proper setup for them. I'd like to get some suggestions on Length, Power and Action. Don't really care about brand, I am pretty stuck on who I'm buying it from. Only looking for suggestions on specifications.

I am leaning towards 6'10" Medium power, Extra Fast Tip in a spinning rod for smaller baits. And a 7' same power / tip in a Casting rod for larger baits.

Lastly, I sometimes have issues with my wrist as a result of a recurring injury from hockey. Are there any advantages to using a Spinning or Casting rod for grip to cut down on the stress to that area?

2. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    I prefer a shorter, casting rod for jerkbaits. My jerkbait rod is a 6'8" MH Med-Fast. I'll also use this rod for topwaters.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

3. Member

Jerkbaits

6’8 medium xtra fast is what I like for rod. I use a casting rod also works well as Topwater rod.

I would stay under 7’ as you will get to more line pull with a longer rod and kills some of the movement.

4. Member
    I use a st croix, 6'8" M-XF for jerks. Use a st croix 6'8" MH-XF for deeper diving jerks that have a bit more weight to them

5. Member
    Thanks for the suggestions! Seems like my thinking is on the right track I think to length and power.

Still not decided if casting gear or spinning gear is best for grip and if either one poses any advantages to reduce long term wear and tear on my wrists. We do a lot of hard snapping / ripping during the summer up here for Smallmouth. So that can take its toll on your hands throughout the day.

Anyone find it easier on the hands using Spinning over Casting or vice versa?

6. Member
    Definitely casting. Like you, throw jerks a good majority of the year.

7. Member
    Well.. I play hocket quite a bit, don't have a wrist injury but I prefer casting Just more casting accuracy and control. Preference really, use what you are used to.

If you go casting, you want a 6'8" to 6'10" length Med Power / Fast action. 1/4 - 5/8 oz lure rating. You could go 6'4" or 6'6" if you're on the shorter side (Under 5'10" for example). Quick downward snapping cadence doesn't work well with a moderate action rod. At the same time, I wouldn't go with a more powerful rod as you want some give to load up on the fish and not pull the treble hooks out.

I fish Table Rock quite a bit and we fish a jerkbait often. Hope this helps.

Mine is a 7' 0" Light/MH Fast...3/16 to 7/8 oz lure rating.

9. Member
    I like a more moderate type of rod for jerkbaits since they have such thin trebles and smallies like to go nuts during the fight.

For your situation, I'd recommend a 6'10"- 7' Medium Light Fast spinning with braid to a fluoro leader. You don't need to rip the lure as much when you have braid, and a ML spinning rod should handle surges at the boat and keep them pinned pretty well.

I have the Dobyns 705 and the st Croix 68 m xf. Definitely prefer the st Croix over the Dobyns. Faster action, better twitch and shorter helps even though I’m 6’3”
    Last edited by Hollada; 10-19-2018 at 03:07 PM.

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

11. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    For my jerkbait rod I use a moderate/moderate Revo Winch, 7’ with 30lb braid. The butt is short enough to not interfere with my twitching but is also just strong enough to throw a jerkbait far and keeps those trebles in. I use a 7’ moderate/fast for squarebills and topwaters...3 different brands of rods, but the one common thing is that the butt sections are short enough to clear my arms as I work the bait.

Im 5’10, 175 so Im an average sized guy but the long butts on newer rods get in my way a lot. Whatever brand you are going with a moderate/moderate or moderate/fast will do the job, just make sure you can work it without slapping the butt of the pole into your forearm or stomach. Or maybe I habe bad form?!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

12. Member
    The best new rod for jerk baits I've tried is the Garcia Ike Delay 6'-6 or 6'-8 what ever it is. That is a fantastic $130 rod.

The best ever is a old (30+years) Daiwa VIP glass rod 6'-6. I've got one left. If I lose it, or break it, I'll just quit throwing jerk baits.

I throw everything except real Smithwick Rogues on casting tackle. The old Rogues are hard to cast, so I usually break out a spinning rod.

ALX Twitch 6'8" this is my jerkbait rod paired with a Fishing 13 Z reel 8 1.1

14. Member
    I absolutely love jerkbait fishing and my favorite rod by far is a 7' medium action bps cranking stick.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

15. Banned
    I use a Falcon Jason Christie 6'8" MHF

16. Banned
    I use spinning 80% of the time when throwing jerkbaits up on Lake Erie. MUCH easier in wind, and I get longer casts in that clearer water, which is a big plus. I use a 7'0 medium power/fast action rod, with 8lb @ 10lb copolymer line. Caught thousands of pig smallies on this equipment, with very very very little fish getting off.

17. Member
    6'6mf st croix premier. Although I rarely throw a jerkbait I'm wanting to gain some confidence in it.

18. Member
    Abu Ike Series 6-4 "delay" rod is the cats meow. If you fish hard charging smallies, you need to take a look at this rod. It's honestly the best jerkbait rod I've ever used. Once you hook up the rod does a fine job keeping them hooked.

19. Member
    Wow lots of great input! Thanks everyone!

20. Member
    Dobyns 704cb

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast