Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fluorocarbon VS Coplymer / Mono?

I like many others have been back and forth about whether to use Floro or CoPoly/Mono.

I'd like to get some insight on the pros and cons of each. And not just preference opinions please. Rather something a little more in depth with some scientific reasoning behind it.

I'm sure there's umpteen threads about this but I guess I'm looking for the most current information available if possible. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Aric11; 10-15-2018 at 07:35 AM.

2. Member
    The way I look at it is copoly will not be as sensitive as a fluoro do to the density of fluoro. Otherwise a good copoly outperforms fluoro in all other aspects. The sensitivity is something that is hard to give up. It’s what makes me keep going back to it.

A fluoro may be more abrasion resistant but it’s inability to take shock takes away from this trait.

Theres more to go about all this but it’s a start.
    Nitro z21

3. Member
    Nothing scientific for me, just feel and application. I like co-poly for treble hook baits for its forgiveness and stretch, and fluoro for single hook baits for sensitivity and power. Occasionally, I will use co-poly for t-rigs if I feel like I need to delay my reaction a bit to avoid taking the bait away from them. I re-tie a lot on both lines: every fish, every hangup, and periodically just because I don't like getting broke off! Double pitzen knot for both works really well. Mono sees very little time in the water for me anymore because co-poly does everything mono will and is much more supple and cast-able IMO. YMMV!
    1998 Tr-21, 2001 Yamaha 225 OX66

4. Joe4d
    flouro sucks,,, unless u are a fan boy getting paid to hawk it,, and I bet most of them dont use it.
    micro dyneema has a hair of stretch and spectra is pretty good... If I need sensitive I use a braid.. .. If not ? a copolymer is cheap and strong.

5. Member
    which copoly does everyone prefer? Joe4d which copoly do you use? thanks

6. Member
    McCoy has always done great for me and surprising the kastking flourokote has been excellent
    Nitro z21

7. Member
    I use pline CX It also has a smaller diameter for crank baits that also makes them run deeper. Goes much longer without curl ,Floro the worst at this. economical price too.
    Not sure if coating helps but it cant hurt.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zx175Bassman View Post
    I use pline CX It also has a smaller diameter for crank baits that also makes them run deeper. Goes much longer without curl ,Floro the worst at this. economical price too.
    Not sure if coating helps but it cant hurt.
    explain curl please. Are you talking memory, or something else. I am having an issue with curl as well, want to see if it's the same as you.

I tried several brands of fluoro when it first became popular. Worst stuff I have ever used...terribly stiff, kinked if I got a backlash, and ridiculously expensive. In contrast, my "old faithful" co-polymer line, Izorline Platinum, continues to perform at its best...very low stretch, highly abrasion resistant, and very economically priced. I do use fluoro leader material as a leader when fishing a Carolina rig in very rocky areas and sometimes also use it as a leader on braid on a spinning rod. But, no fluoro gets spooled on my reels when Izorline Platinum will do the job for less money and far fewer headaches.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Here’s a handy guide that might help. I refer to it all the time for what line fits what needs.
    http://www.bassfishin.com/blog/fishing-line-guide/
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

11. Member
    I’ve been leaning towards using mostly Braid with a Floro leader for most everything where feel is crucial. Then either straight Braid or straight Co-Poly for everything else.

My concern that has me bouncing back and forth is fishing a dropshot in current. In that situation feel is very important because bites can be deceiving and better feel I think helps avoid more hang ups because I can pop it free before it gets really buried sometimes.

On the flip side I don’t want to use braid with a leader for this because of the high number of breakoffs and frequent re-tying of leaders at times. It’s much quicker to tie on a hook to a straight floro or copolymer line and continue fishing.

So I think to compensate I am just going to be more conscientious of investing in the most sensitive rods I can afford rather than relying on my line for sensitivity and use my good old standby P-Line Floroclear instead of straight Floro, and only use Floro for Leaders.

I think at the end of the day confidence in what I'm using will make the biggest difference, so I may as well save my money and use what I know has already worked for me. Only ever switch to floro because I bought into the hype thinking it would give me an advantage.
    Last edited by Aric11; 10-16-2018 at 10:16 AM.

12. Member
    Floro gets memory or curl after awhile .can stretch it but has to be thorwn away to soon for the expense of it.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zx175Bassman View Post
    Floro gets memory or curl after awhile .can stretch it but has to be thorwn away to soon for the expense of it.
    Yes agree with memory on fluoro. I'm having a curl issue with fluoro clear. The last 2ft or so after every fish or hang up gets extremely curled. Almost like it is over stretched. I have to cut off and retie way too often. Doesn't break before it curls, but it sure will after. P line says maybe a bad batch but it's happening with 2 different bulk spools.

Fluorocarbon is much more sensitive than mono or copoly. If you don't believe it try running a texas rig side by side or a crankbait side by side. Stretch rate is also lower for fluoro compared to mono. I feel I get a better hookset with fluoro overall. More than half of my setups (about 12 of them) run straight fluorocarbon.

15. Member
    According to that chart I don’t use enough fluorocarbon and I use way too light of line.

Use KVD line conditioner on your fluorocarbon and it will help a LOT with line management.
    BassCat '17 Sabre DC FTD Advantage Elite
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80

17. Member
    Jeff Hahn how do you size your izorline platinum? what size do you use for different applications? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by z520brewer View Post
    Jeff Hahn how do you size your izorline platinum? what size do you use for different applications? thanks
    I use everything from 20 to 6 pound test. I use 6 & 8 on my spinning rod for smallies in Canada. I use 10 for crankbaits in more open water and 12 for cranking around cover. I use 12 for fishing a Texas rig. I use 15 for just about everything else...jigs, vibrating jigs, spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, swim baits, Carolina rig. I go with the 20 if fishing a Carolina Rig in very rocky conditions. For flipping and frogging or fishing a swim jig in heavy cover, I go with 50 pound test Izorline Brutally Strong Spectra braid. For botht he Platinum and braid, I prefer the green. Hope this helps!
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

19. Member
    thanks !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Rider View Post
    Use KVD line conditioner on your fluorocarbon and it will help a LOT with line management.
    I had a bad experience with floro when it first came out so for the last several years, I have been using braid/mono for all my plastics and straight braid for jigs and frogs. This year, I had several occasions where I got out fished with guys using floro. In most of the cases, depth or current was a significant factor. I was concerned that I was losing contact with my lure because of the “line float” on the braid. After reading your post, I loaded 2 rigs with floro and bought the line conditioner. I really like the feel with the floro, the line seems heavier causing it to sink more quickly and more directly to the target and I seem to stay in contact with my lure better.
    My catch rate is also up.
    Now the question: what brand of floro has the least tendency to coil? I use the line conditioner the night before each use and it is acceptable but I wonder if some lines are better than others.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast