6yrs for VRO sound right

Got a 98 Venom 200 that I replaced the VRO right at 6 years ago. Motor acted up today and got a couple of bog/stalls like it was not getting fuel so I shut her down.

Motor sounded a little guttural so started pumping the bulb which was soft to see if that would help. Took off and all seemed good. About an hour later same problem and motor stalled. Rpms kept getting lower and lower even while hot foot was wide open. And got to point that would not even stay running at idle. No alarms which I thought was odd..

I am thinking VRO is bad and going to order another one, but 6 years seemed a little short but what do I know.

Mine still fine after 26 yrs.
    Always Think Like A Fish.....No Matter How Weird it Is!!

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    No alarms? how's the fuel line? any junk in your filter?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    No alarms? how's the fuel line? any junk in your filter?
    Yes, no alarm like I would have thought, as that is what it did previously when the fuel side went out and replace it 6 years ago.

That is my Mission Impossible task this week.. go thru all of that and see if I can isolate down to OMS or something else. I have just never experienced a shut down like that.. and no matter how far you push the hot foot.. it will only go 1200 RPMS or less. In Neutral it will rev good.. so there is some fuel restriction I believe.

Instead of thinking that the "VRO" is bad, first do some troubleshooting such as monitoring fuel pressure at all speeds while looking for fuel restrictions or air bubbles in the lines by using a vacuum gauge and some clear fuel line connected to the pump. If it was not pumping oil, you would get an alarm. Do you know for a fact that your warning horn is operational and that the 4 LED warning lights are working correctly?

You may want to take a compression reading first just to be sure the motor is healthy.
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

6. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAHORSE View Post
    Instead of thinking that the "VRO" is bad, first do some troubleshooting such as monitoring fuel pressure at all speeds while looking for fuel restrictions or air bubbles in the lines by using a vacuum gauge and some clear fuel line connected to the pump. If it was not pumping oil, you would get an alarm. Do you know for a fact that your warning horn is operational and that the 4 LED warning lights are working correctly?

You may want to take a compression reading first just to be sure the motor is healthy.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

7. Member
    Thanks Guys.. those were on my list as I was reading about air, other leaks, compression, etc. Another project when we finally got some cooler weather that I hoped to spend fishing.

Will let y'all know results

8. Member
    Took the stator off my Venom 200 today to do some testing and have a question on testing. Found a doc online testing resistance for the trigger (Orange to Orange/Black) should be an Open.... I am reading a short or very low ohm value and think this is the problem.

This is the link I found to get values to test stator

https://www.outboardignition.com/page40.asp
    Last edited by tx_basser; 10-21-2018 at 05:34 PM.