Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ultrex Cable Guards?

At the 1:00 mark check out the cable guards on this Ultrex. Is this something new or am I out of the loop? I have a Fortrex and this looks like it would benefit me as well.

2. Banned
    Nice to see that the kids aren’t spoiled rotten, knowing they could get any boat for free that he wants, they kept it practical.

3. Member
    I saw this same thing in BPS in Austin. Asked in this post if anyone knew but never heard anything.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=929533

Here is my version !
    It's a golf club tube from Walmart-- cost $1.25
    Most lakes I fish in West Texas, the flooded brush would have anything else torn off in short order.
    There are two cables ran underneath the cover and they also go thru the steering box instead of around it.

Attached Images Attached Images

I saw the guards on the ultrex in Springfield this weekend. I ask about it and the salesman had no idea where I could purchase them. I would really like to know where to find them.
    Tim Keller 2013 ZX 200 / 200 SHO Yamaha

It’s a cable sheath. Pretty easy to find for motorguide but not for ultrex. There are better options out there like the flex route cobra ties

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by InternationalMarine Brian View Post
    It’s a cable sheath. Pretty easy to find for motorguide but not for ultrex. There are better options out there like the flex route cobra ties
    You sure? I did a search for it and the only thing coming back are the soft sheath tubing. The one I saw was a hard plastic. I think it's a cleaner look then flex route ties.

You can search the trolling motor section. There are some very old threads on it. It’s very hard plastic with sharp edges.

9. Member
    At 1:18 on the video it shows the guard separated around the yoke area of the mount. This is because the yoke is tight to the shaft and anything that enlarges the shaft has trouble going down into the yoke area. Probably filing down the sides of the plastic yoke may help, but I can't tell you how much it would weeken the yoke.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

Seems to be a tracker only part, same ones used on the old TE motor guides.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    At 1:18 on the video it shows the guard separated around the yoke area of the mount. This is because the yoke is tight to the shaft and anything that enlarges the shaft has trouble going down into the yoke area. Probably filing down the sides of the plastic yoke may help, but I can't tell you how much it would weeken the yoke.
    John
    Yeah it looks like 2 separate pieces and the area around the yoke is electrical tape
    Been fishin' since I was 5 years old...Thanks Grandpa!

It’s 2 pieces. It’s a tracker part. There used to be a member here who sold them. Several members have posted pictures in the installation threads of the electronics forums.

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    Nice to see that the kids aren’t spoiled rotten, knowing they could get any boat for free that he wants, they kept it practical.
    It's only a Z19... Dan

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan21XRS View Post
    It's only a Z19... Dan

I wonder if they were like, “what the hell dad, you’re KVD. Is this the best you’re gonna give us?”

I find it ridiculous that in this day and age a company like Minn Kota or motor guide can’t make a dang trolling motor without stringing a bunch cables (except steering) all over it.

Quote Originally Posted by BigMouth View Post
    I find it ridiculous that in this day and age a company like Minn Kota or motor guide can’t make a dang trolling motor without stringing a bunch cables (except steering) all over it.
    https://www.minnkotamotors.com/news/...a-down-imaging

Quote Originally Posted by InternationalMarine Brian View Post
    Smart Move!!

Nice but what about all there other great features like Side Imaging and 360.
    the kind of waters some fish they would not last one day before getting hung up and posssibly ruined.

19. Member
    OK, MDI will add apx $200.00 to the cost of the trolling motor over the standard US2. "If" they could add side imaging, 360, etc., how much do you think this new trolling motor would cost and I wonder what it would look like. I'm guessing shafts would have to be enlarged to give room for the larger ethernet and power cables of the 360. The 4.5" lower unit would be redesigned to allow for a 360 bell on the bottom in order to give the full 360 view. Then, sorta like a "all in one printer where it has scanner, printer, and fax" if one part goes bad (outside of warranty), a major part would have to be replaced, upping the out of pocket repair expense to the consumer. As it is now, consumers don't like spending between $2K and $3K for a trollingmotor, can a person imagine what type of price tag and how consumers would react to purchasing a trollingmotor knowing that electronics are changing and what they may have now, could be obsolete (or at least not the latest and greatest) in a couple of years time. This is all an opinion, but I think a component system as it is now is the better way to go.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    OK, MDI will add apx $200.00 to the cost of the trolling motor over the standard US2. "If" they could add side imaging, 360, etc., how much do you think this new trolling motor would cost and I wonder what it would look like. I'm guessing shafts would have to be enlarged to give room for the larger ethernet and power cables of the 360. The 4.5" lower unit would be redesigned to allow for a 360 bell on the bottom in order to give the full 360 view. Then, sorta like a "all in one printer where it has scanner, printer, and fax" if one part goes bad (outside of warranty), a major part would have to be replaced, upping the out of pocket repair expense to the consumer. As it is now, consumers don't like spending between $2K and $3K for a trollingmotor, can a person imagine what type of price tag and how consumers would react to purchasing a trollingmotor knowing that electronics are changing and what they may have now, could be obsolete (or at least not the latest and greatest) in a couple of years time. This is all an opinion, but I think a component system as it is now is the better way to go.
    John
    Wireless? The technology has been in place for decades and is super cheap. That would leave two cables, Power which could be routed down the same cable tube as the steering cables leaving one cable on deck. Those that like electric steering could be left with NO Cables! What will they think of next?

Totally eliminating trip hazards, expensive citcuit board replacment if you cut a cable, easier upgrades and replacement's.

Oh BTW whats a cut network cable gonna cost me to replace on my Ultrex?
    Last edited by BigMouth; 10-18-2018 at 10:22 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast