Comparing a Z521C to a Z521L

Looking at getting a new Z521C or L soon. I did a lot of searching here and seen mentioned a few times that the L is only a few thousand dollars more on the MAP price.

Thats true but building the 2 boats as identical as I could at Rangers site, it showed @ a $10,000 difference on MAP.

I added the touring package to the L and for example, I added a Hambys, Cover, etc. to the C boat to keep the options as close as I could.

For the Z521L--- Just swapping the (2) Lowrance 7's for a 9 and a 12 and adding the (2) power poles is @ $7,500. Also, for some reason upgrading both boats to the exact Ultrex, its almost $300 more on the L.

Just trying to decide between the two boats and I absolutely think the L is a incredible boat.

Am I missing something here because I can't see that big of a price difference?

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    I think most people who buy the L do so because they want equipment (or an equipment mix) that you cannot get on the C. Otherwise, the whole idea of a package boat is to save the buyer money by setting up a bunch of boats exactly the same. And they do. No reason I can think of (imo) not to buy the C boat if you like the way it is equipped.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

3. Member
    Save the money and get the C

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    I think most people who buy the L do so because they want equipment (or an equipment mix) that you cannot get on the C. Otherwise, the whole idea of a package boat is to save the buyer money by setting up a bunch of boats exactly the same. And they do. No reason I can think of (imo) not to buy the C boat if you like the way it is equipped.
    Those are my thoughts but you sure see a lot of L series boats with Mercurys though.

I guess the C is the way to go.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slipknobber bot View Post
    Save the money and get the C
    I think so, especially if a guy wants a Mercury.

6. Member
    they redesigned the rear end of the L boat for the 521(2019)...it was slow so maybe it helped..dont know what or how

id go with the C...jmo though

got the 520L and its for sure slower than 520C

7. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oklaranger View Post
    Those are my thoughts but you sure see a lot of L series boats with Mercurys though.

I guess the C is the way to go.
    I would never second-guess anyone’s choices on a Ranger boat (or other bass boat, for that matter), for numerous reasons. Besides, perception is reality, right? Expressing individuality is very common in high-priced toys. I’ve been known to indulge the urge myself.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

8. Member
    L boat has 1 inch wider beam.

Brian Fontenot
    2018 Ranger Z521L-2019 Yamaha 250 SHO

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasonray View Post
    they redesigned the rear end of the L boat for the 521(2019)...it was slow so maybe it helped..dont know what or how

id go with the C...jmo though

got the 520L and its for sure slower than 520C
    What did they change...I've been told by a good source there are no changes from 2018-2019

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TopGun21x View Post
    What did they change...I've been told by a good source there are no changes from 2018-2019
    i was told they only changed the rear end of the 521L...may be very small and not even noticeable... but was done to help speed the boat up a little more...if thats even possible

11. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    Love my L. I didn't buy a Ranger for the speed....

I've got about 35hrs on my boat now, I haven't been over 35-40mph in it yet. Most of the differences between the L and C are cosmetic on the top cap, console, seats, etc.

Since you already think the L is an incredible boat, sounds like you need to get a L....

You don't want to get a C and then see a L on the water or on the road and have buyers remorse, wishing you would have gotten a L......

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

12. Member
    I bought a 521c 2014 250 pro xs loaded for a great deal and I love it and its a pre JM boat

13. Member
    The sides of the 520,521L are a little different, they definitely ride dryer than the C boat and there is a soft feel in the big rollers with the L boat. I think there may be a mile an hour difference in speed, I have seen 75 and change by my self with my G2 and 73 with two guys in a tournament. I do like fishing off the front better in a C boat, the rod straps are further forward on a L boat is the difference. If I was ordering a new boat it would be another L for sure.