NED Rig Mold Hooks

I want to use a 2/0 hook in my NED mold. What hooks are you guys using for the 2/0?
    I see that the mold will accept the https://www.barlowstackle.com/Eagle-...ty--P3244.aspx
    with no problems. Has anyone used this hook in 2/0 with success? How about hook-up and boating the fish?
    I dont want to modify my mold to accept any other 2/0 hooks. Let me know.... THANKS

Eagle Claw Jig Hooks 2/0 Style 500BP - Lil' Nasty

2. Green Fish Bait Brewery
    Yes I use it with no issues. Net the fish as the hook has some flex.
    Ron
    Green Fish Bait Brewery (FB)
    Veteran

3. Member
    I use a #2 not a 2/0 in a Ned rig. A 2/0 is as big as the bait.

4. Member
    That Lil Nasty Eagle Claw is a great hook if you remember it is light and will flex as Walking Dead mentioned. I've landed 5lb smallmouth with that hook in a size #2 on a 1/16oz hair jig, match your tackle to your line and lure and you'll be fine. I will say this, if you hook a fish with it the only way it gets off is if the line breaks or the hook breaks, they hold really well with better quality than the Matzuo. I use the 3/0 on 1/8oz ball head jigs for finesse swim baits and I use the 2/0 for tube jigs. The only issue is the gap is slightly smaller than a round bend but it hasn't hurt me at all and I've been using them since they came out. If you want what I call a "hybrid sickle hook" look at the Mustad 32500 Skip Jack hook, in between a round bend and a sickle.

5. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Danbleume View Post
    I use a #2 not a 2/0 in a Ned rig. A 2/0 is as big as the bait.
    It is if you use a Z-MAN TRD. I make my own and they are 3 1/2 But thanks for the input.

6. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    HEY SMALLJAW67. I got me some of those Lil Nasty Eagle Claw hooks in 2/0. They make a GREAT NED jig. BUT, like you said, They are light
    but will do the job as I rarely get smallies over 5lb. I am going to order some 1/0 and 2/0 Mustad 32500 Skip Jack hooks.
    I think they are the perfect hook for what I want. Thanks for the heads up. If you ever get this way, Let me know, maybe'
    we can wet a line together.

7. Member
    I’ve really had good luck with the Owner 5313 hook on my Midwest mold.

8. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FowlZurk View Post
    I’ve really had good luck with the Owner 5313 hook on my Midwest mold.
    Thanks, I need a 2/0 hook that would work in my NED mold. The 5313 will not fit with the wide gap.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokie Pa View Post
    HEY SMALLJAW67. I got me some of those Lil Nasty Eagle Claw hooks in 2/0. They make a GREAT NED jig. BUT, like you said, They are light
    but will do the job as I rarely get smallies over 5lb. I am going to order some 1/0 and 2/0 Mustad 32500 Skip Jack hooks.
    I think they are the perfect hook for what I want. Thanks for the heads up. If you ever get this way, Let me know, maybe'
    we can wet a line together.

I'd be happy to wet a line with you sometime, I haven't fished up your way is 25 years. As for good hooks in a 2/0 I might be able to help you, I'm assuming you are using the Do-it Midwest Finesse jig mold and if so what size? If you are using something different I still might be able to help as I have a lot of different 90 degree hooks in different sizes that I can try.

10. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    YES that is the mold I am using. I do not use the 1/16 or the 1/4 often. I do know that Owner 5318 will work in 2/0.
    I am pretty well set up with hooks for it now. as I wanted some 2/0 for my 3.0" sticks I make. I really like the Z-MAN TRDs but they
    get pricey and I cant get all the colors I want..... SO I make my own. If you want any let me know. I make them "FLOAT", too
    Where in Pa are you? I winterized my boat already as I go in for some leg surgery in 2 weeks and will be laid up for a month/
    Maybe next spring we can hit them hard :)

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokie Pa View Post
    YES that is the mold I am using. I do not use the 1/16 or the 1/4 often. I do know that Owner 5318 will work in 2/0.
    I am pretty well set up with hooks for it now. as I wanted some 2/0 for my 3.0" sticks I make. I really like the Z-MAN TRDs but they
    get pricey and I cant get all the colors I want..... SO I make my own. If you want any let me know. I make them "FLOAT", too
    Where in Pa are you? I winterized my boat already as I go in for some leg surgery in 2 weeks and will be laid up for a month/
    Maybe next spring we can hit them hard :)
    I'm in the southern tier, Schuylkill county near Pottsville PA. I tend to use the 1/16oz size the most with a size #2 Owner 5318 or a size #1 Owner 5313 depending on the bait I'm using. I use the Owner 5318 over the Lil Nasty when I'm using 8# line but when I use my normal 4# and 6# line I'll use the Lil Nasty. I appreciate the offer on the baits but with all the rain we had this year I haven't used the Ned rig much and so I still have about 4lbs of small plastics that I like with them which for me they are usually 2.5 to 2.75" in length. I don't use any Z-Man stuff, I hate trying to get it on keepers and having it melt and the lack of translucent colors just isn't my deal plus I tend to do better than other guys I fish with that do use the TRD worms.