Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar

Broadhead trials

Well since I hope to shoot a Red stag in about 6 months, I am planing on shooting several does this fall and winter with different fixed blade broadheads. Slick tricks, steel force heads, muzzy and Ramcats for sure.

Any if you guys experienced with any of these? I seem to be able to get about any head to fly well so far.
    Last edited by Roddy; 10-16-2018 at 03:22 PM.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

2. Member
    I use hellrazor they are more accurate then muzzy but fly vetter
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

3. Member
    I'm a fan of the Wasp Drone. I would probably use one of there other style heads on red stag but the Drone is awesome on deer. It flies great comes super sharp out of the package and made in the USA with US materials.

4. Georgia Bass Club Moderator fishnfool38's Avatar
    Look at G5 Striker. I've been shooting them for years got on the rage kick and now back...love them!

5. Member
    tried most fixed heads but keep coming back to Muzzys. My son worked in a sporting goods store for 8 years and was a buyer in archery and muzzle loader. He shoots Slick Tricks, has probably shot every head coming down the pike. just buy a good quality head and you will be fine as long as your bow is tuned and the right shafts. both of have bow hunted over 30 years and shot 3d tournaments for close to 15 years. my son has a P&Y elk to his credit on public ground self guided.

6. Member
    qad exodus fly pretty good and kill well. I use the 125s
    Nitro2023 triton allure 250 proxs
    Garmin marine
    prostaff

7. Member
    I've always tried new broadheads but I stopped buying new ones when I started shooting QAD Exodus.

8. Member
    I love the Ramcats!

9. Member
    I have always been a fan of NAP Thunderheads.

QAD. Exodus!��

Slick trick viper tricks or wac em 4 blades deserve a hard look. You will need to be able to send one a good distance and both of those are proven... but really the broadhead is just a small part of what's necessary to bring down a big animal quickly. All those mentioned will get it done well if they are on the end of the right arrow shot from a well tuned bow by a well tuned shooter sounds like a hell of an adventure

12. Member
    Wacem since they opened. They tune well our past 50+ easily

13. Banned
    STs never done me wrong

14. BBC SPONSOR
    Ramcats is what I switched to this year, they fly really straight and clean. I have not killed anything yet though except for a prairie dog and they performed flawlessly at 50 yards LOL
    Last edited by Bassman25; 11-02-2018 at 02:55 PM.
    FTO Marine Supplies
    BBC Sponsor

15. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    My buddy swore by Thunderhead 100s, I was a Muzzy 100 guy...just love that trocar tip on the Muzzys and I rarely bent or broke a blade unless it was in a 250lb hog. So many people shoot the SlickTricks that they’re popularity can’t be denied.

I went to expandables and never looked back but if you want a fixed blade the best have already been mentioned.

I won’t put a head in use until it flies like a field point. I line up the blades with the speedvanes then shoot each arrow until it flies right...it may take 4-6 broadheads sometimes but I want to have 100% confidence in my equipment, especially bow hunting! Then I number my arrows from 1-6 based on how consistent each one is. Of course new blades go on after this process.

Out of a dozen arrows and a dozen broadheads I can get 6 for the quiver that I know will go where I aim. There’s so many variables in bowhunting I want to control as many as I can!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    My buddy swore by Thunderhead 100s, I was a Muzzy 100 guy...just love that trocar tip on the Muzzys and I rarely bent or broke a blade unless it was in a 250lb hog. So many people shoot the SlickTricks that they’re popularity can’t be denied.

I went to expandables and never looked back but if you want a fixed blade the best have already been mentioned.

I won’t put a head in use until it flies like a field point. I line up the blades with the speedvanes then shoot each arrow until it flies right...it may take 4-6 broadheads sometimes but I want to have 100% confidence in my equipment, especially bow hunting! Then I number my arrows from 1-6 based on how consistent each one is. Of course new blades go on after this process.

Out of a dozen arrows and a dozen broadheads I can get 6 for the quiver that I know will go where I aim. There’s so many variables in bowhunting I want to control as many as I can!
    Do you find that simply changing blades keeps them flying straight?
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

17. Member
    Been shooting slick tricks for well over 10 years no plans on changing. And I have shot many different heads over the last 30 years.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post

Lining up the blades with the vanes is totally unnecessary for good BH flight.

19. Official Lip Ripper' haftafish22's Avatar
    Hey roddy,

I think my kill list is up to 64 deer with a bow. I was a very big mechanical guy, and have moved back to fixed these last two or three years. I have shot 4 blade slick tricks for 6-7 years now and I don’t see any reason to change that. Now, I haven’t shot them past 50 yards as I typically don’t like to shoot at animals that far. If I knew I was shooting longer range of have to see how they did at 70 or so.... but for big thick skin critters, can’t beat a fixed blade

20. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by haftafish22 View Post
    Hey roddy,

I think my kill list is up to 64 deer with a bow. I was a very big mechanical guy, and have moved back to fixed these last two or three years. I have shot 4 blade slick tricks for 6-7 years now and I don’t see any reason to change that. Now, I haven’t shot them past 50 yards as I typically don’t like to shoot at animals that far. If I knew I was shooting longer range of have to see how they did at 70 or so.... but for big thick skin critters, can’t beat a fixed blade
    My son shot his Red stag with slick tricks, 42 and 91 yards. The 91 yard shot wasn't needed as the stag fell shortly after from the first shot.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast