Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I'm a huge fan of Magnus Black Hornets!!!
    2014 Nitro Z7 150 Pro XS

2. Official Lip Ripper' haftafish22's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Roddy View Post
    My son shot his Red stag with slick tricks, 42 and 91 yards. The 91 yard shot wasn't needed as the stag fell shortly after from the first shot.

Well if that hat isn’t stout enough proof of slick trick capabilities I don’t know what is.

Good job job to your boy

Body in North GA (Lake Lanier) - Heart in KS
    Quote Originally Posted by Babe Winkleworm View Post
    I use hellrazor they are more accurate then muzzy but fly vetter
    Yep and is sharper but still needs to be tweaked.
    2008 ChampioN 198 / 225 Opti ProXS! 1999 187 DC Elite / Merc 175 efi & 1989 184 DCR /Merc 175 xri

4. Member
    Slick Trick 4 blades. I started using them after talking a group of 5 friends that elk, bear and muley hunt. They as a group have had mechanicals fail, and some other fixed blade failures. They haven't had a single Slick Trick failure since they went to them.
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors

Add another satisfied Slick Trick shooter. Great flying head that has never failed me.
    Where are you doing your stag hunt? If New Zealand... enjoy! One of my favorite places!
    Last edited by J D; 11-18-2018 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Pilot error
    "When My Ship Comes In, I will Probably Be At The Airport"
    USAF Retired

6. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J D View Post
    Add another satisfied Slick Trick shooter. Great flying head that has never failed me.
    Where are you doing your stag hunt? If New Zealand... enjoy! One of my favorite places!
    Yes, New Zealand
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

That’s awesome! Must say I’m a bit enviousWho will you be hunting with?
    New Zealand is one of may all time favorite places to visit. I’ve fly fished there numerous times, still waiting for the right opportunity to hunt though. A stag and a Tahr are on my bucket list for sure!
    Just spent 3 weeks there visiting my kids and In-laws... luckily I never saw my future ex

Back to the original subject... Fixed blade slick trick! Never failed me and fly awesome!
    "When My Ship Comes In, I will Probably Be At The Airport"
    USAF Retired

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roddy View Post
    My son shot his Red stag with slick tricks, 42 and 91 yards. The 91 yard shot wasn't needed as the stag fell shortly after from the first shot.
    91 yds? I don't know as I could hit my house from that distance. Does he have a pin set for 100?

Body in North GA (Lake Lanier) - Heart in KS
    Big Subjective topic!
    A lot to consider. If you are a seasoned shooter they all work.
    Mech for me. I use NAP Spits. Any fixed blade BH has to have a well tuned bow and good form from shooter, especially solid blades like Thunderheads, Slick Trick... and usually really fast bow is hell on these as well. Any torque could cause irradiate BH flight. The fixed blades with open blades like G5 Montec or Hellrazor... tend to do better IMO.

I use Mech. as sometimes I'm all twisted up shooting so they tend to better in those situations. I always play with new BH's but when I travel its always Spits.

Been basically only Bow hunting since 1980.

You have to play until you find what works for your setup. So man good BH's out there and a lot of great stories to go along with them. PRACTICE WIH THEM!!!
    2008 ChampioN 198 / 225 Opti ProXS! 1999 187 DC Elite / Merc 175 efi & 1989 184 DCR /Merc 175 xri

10. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    91 yds? I don't know as I could hit my house from that distance. Does he have a pin set for 100?
    No, he had a 80 yard pin though (7 pin sight), he had never properly sighted it in.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

I’ve always used mechanicals but the penetration has never been good. I’ve only lost 1 deer with mechanical due to a gut shot. I’ve switched to Slick Triks this year and they fly good. Haven’t shot a deer with them yet due to a buck jumping my string but they fly straight.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

Magnus Stingers.

13. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I know people that swear by lining up their banes and some that simply screw them on and go. To me, aerodynamically, it makes sense to line them up but I’ve had many long talks with John and Gina about this subject as they go to the same archery shop that I do. I’m a little, tiny ocd so it works for me and my bh’s fly straight.

I use mainly spitfires now and I even line them up closed with my veins...just out of habit I guess. Practicing with them I think is the most important. With how long I practice and how many bh/arrow combos I go through it’s most likely that I’m just finding 2 mating surfaces that match and make the arrows fly straight and not how the blades and veins are aligned.

As long as the replacement blades weigh the same I haven’t seen a different flight pattern once I switch them out for new ones. I don’t practice with the “practice” blades though, I use the normal blades even if it tears my targets up. Never made sense that they give you practice blades that aren’t exactly that same dimensions.

91 yards!? I think I tried that once with my PSE Nova 2....the arrow skipped 5 times before it got to the doe on our trail! I was 18 and VERYBAD at judging yardage!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Lots of guys practice out to 100 yards and beyond, myself included. Although I wouldn't try a shot at an animal that far unless it was for a follow up shot as mentioned. I've tried all kinds of broadheads and different arrow setups etc.. and have found for me it makes no difference if the veins are aligned or even if there are the same number of veins as there are broadhead blades. The arrow and whatever broadhead should be straight, the proper spine, and for game any larger than whitetail I would go with an arrow/head weighing in the 425 to 550 grain ballpark depending on you bow, draw length,and poundage. The proper arrow is very important to how accurate you will be with fixed blade broadheads.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12