Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

After market back up camera

Any one have a back up camera that is displayed in the rear view mirror?
    Like it or not?
    Thx

2. Banned
    Do you have a head unit that will play video? Or have a signal for a camera input? If so back up cameras are about 13.00 these days. I've installed a bunch of them. Don't let the price fool you they work awesome.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by g352nv View Post
    Do you have a head unit that will play video? Or have a signal for a camera input? If so back up cameras are about 13.00 these days. I've installed a bunch of them. Don't let the price fool you they work awesome.
    13 Ram? Have the radio thar capable. What else do I need?

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by g352nv View Post
    What kind of camera do you recommend? Want to hook one up on the front of my truck and use my SCT Livewire for the display.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Dreaming View Post
    What kind of camera do you recommend? Want to hook one up on the front of my truck and use my SCT Livewire for the display.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FM45N50...d_i=B01FM45N50

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Dreaming View Post
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078KYLPXY...89532c619&th=1

7. Member
    May get one for my son in law .
    Not wanting to change head unit.
    Thx

I've had several aftermarket backup cameras, but none worked like I thought they should. Finally bit the bullet and got an iBall. I love it ... works GREAT, simple, and worth every penny!

I recently bought a used Tundra that has a back up camera on the liscense plate with the screen in the rear view mirror. It is effective, but the rear view mirror is a little harder to see out of when not in reverse.

See ya

along same lines i am wanting to upgrade my trucks radio and add a backup, i have read/heard of a few horror stories where people loose other "functions" of the truck with after-market add ons, whats my best option??

and if it matters; double DIN radio and wondering about camera placement and wiring, and durability (2009 Silverado)
    Putting a clown in the castle doesn't make him a king, it turns the castle into a circus

11. Member
    As someone with 19 years in the aftermarket car audio business I may have some insight.

Duraspank, on your 2013 RAM, if you have the factory headunit with the video screen, you can add a camera to it. But your factory headunit doesn't have the correct input. You have to have a harness that has a program in it to re-flash the firmware on the radio to turn on the video input, and also has a universal rca style video input. The PAC BCI-CH41 harness, and i would recommend a Echomaster brand camera. The harness is here - https://www.amazon.com/PAC-BCI-CH41-...s=pac+bci-ch41

m.t.hands, if the correct harness is used, and the shop that does the work has installers with half a brain, you will not loose any other function of the vehicle. Losing any function is usually a sign of the person doing the sales or installs just not selling you what you actually need or properly installing it. Does your truck have reverse sensors? How about steering wheel controls?

12. Member
    I just got an iballhitchcam from a member on here and it works perfectly for my rig. I have a 2014 Ford F150 STX that doesn't have the backup camera. The magnetic hitchcam sticks to the tailgate and I can see everything I need to, so I can line up the trailer hitch to the boat tongue. Perfect for me since I go fishing alone and need to be able to hook up without assistance.

The nice thing is that I could put the camera on the boat tongue and go that direction if I wanted. I just prefer the view from my truck versus from the boat trailer....

Quote Originally Posted by CoreyJ View Post

m.t.hands, if the correct harness is used, and the shop that does the work has installers with half a brain, you will not loose any other function of the vehicle. Losing any function is usually a sign of the person doing the sales or installs just not selling you what you actually need or properly installing it. Does your truck have reverse sensors? How about steering wheel controls?
    Hey Corey my truck does not have reverse/back-up sensors and only has cruise control function on the steering wheel, I was wanting to add a radio with backup camera/monitor that worked in conjunction with my truck being in reverse, thanks for your input
    Putting a clown in the castle doesn't make him a king, it turns the castle into a circus

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by m.t.hands View Post
    Hey Corey my truck does not have reverse/back-up sensors and only has cruise control function on the steering wheel, I was wanting to add a radio with backup camera/monitor that worked in conjunction with my truck being in reverse, thanks for your input
    Any aftermarket radio with a touchscreen interface will work well in this situation. They all have input for backup cameras. Best Buy does free installation on the radio's. Not sure how far you from one of those. The camera will run $80-$100, $120 in labor to install it. The radio $200-$400 depending on which one you like the looks of. Most are the same these days in functionality across the brands so its a matter of looks and user interface you prefer. And what level of phone integration you want. The dash kit and harness to install the radio will run around $150.

15. Member
    Here is what I use. I looked at backup cameras but these work pretty well for hooking up by myself:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...t-system?rfk=1

16. Member
    i have the backup camera listed above on amazon and it works amazing.
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

Bouncin' off rocks, and catching the smallies.

Potomac River Smallmouth Guide

Owner of Potomac Custom Tackle

Mine needs replacement on my 2013 Tundra. Anyone got a link for that? Thanks.

18. Member
    Somehow the image on mine is reversed and I've never found the setting to fix it. Head Unit is JVC KW-NT810HDT

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KYSkipper View Post
    Somehow the image on mine is reversed and I've never found the setting to fix it. Head Unit is JVC KW-NT810HDT
    Sometimes the radio has a setting in one of the menu's. Some of the cameras have a cable on them back near the camera itself that needs to be cut. Depends entirely on make and model however. May want to have a car audio shop take a look at it

Hey CoreyJ, I have a 2015 GMC work truck with the smaller 4'' screen. The screen just shows radio stuff and I was wondering if I could hook up a backup camera to it. Do you know if that can be done or will the unit need to be completely replaced with an aftermarket?
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast