Zebra mussels in Bull Shoals Problem??

Are the Zebra Mussels in Bull Shoals causing problems? I've heard there now in the river below the dam and it's just a matter of time before there in Norfork.Wondering what this will do over the next decade to the area fisheries.It's something to consider for anyone who might think of retirement in the area.

2. Member
    They were really bad here in Bull a couple of years ago but I'm not sure what happened but their numbers aren't as great as they once were, at least down on the dam end where I live. They won't hurt the fishery, might even help it (they sure help the Great Lakes smallmouth fishing) but they make fishing aggravating at times. Especially during crankbait season and when you are fishing jigs around the rocks. They will cut your line a lot. As far as Norfork is concerned, I wouldn't be surprised if they are already in there.

3. Member
    What do they do to White River?

4. BBC SPONSOR
    Zebra Mussels are OLD news. They have been in the lake for over 5 years, they were all over for a while and now they are about extent in the lake. They made the fishing tremendously better, it was actually kind of amazing to see how the fish grew with the zebra mussels present.

I know several people that dive, and said they seen NO living zebra mussels this summer in the lake?

I fish it all the time, and have noticed ZERO evidence of zebra mussels the last 2 years!

PS. Bull Shoals is the BEST fishery in the Ozarks right now! I think it is even fishing better than LOZ, and I never say that. Now it won't pump out the 5+lbers that LOZ will, but the weights are crazy good!

5. Member
    These mussels sure are a pita here in California. I have to fish Castaic lake only. If I go some where else I have to go through an inspection to get back on and if i have any water dripping out the lower unit or any water anywhere on or in the boat i will get turned away for a week to dry out.
    Sooner or later all the lakes will have them and it wont matter but for know they are trying to control it.
    2012 Ranger Z518
    Motor Info:
    200 XS
    Serial number 1B882317
    Model number 1200P73EY

Not as bad as they were but still there. Suck when your cranking. Was told they couldn't survive in Norfork due to the PH level in the water.