Looking for honest feedback on a 2019 Nitro Z18 w/175 Pro XS Four Stroke

Hello all, for those of you that have purchased the new 2019 Z18 with the new 175 Pro XS Four Stroke, can you please share your experience? Let me preface by saying that I have always believed that you should stuff the biggest motor allowed on the back of the boat. But I’m not seeing any real world results on this boat and motor combo, and as you all know this is a huge decision. Please share if you are happy with the boat, if you are happy with the motor, if you are happy that you went with the 175 Pro XS vs. the 150 Pro XS. It is literally decision time for me as to which motor I want on my build sheet. I don’t want to make a $2600 mistake. I know a few guys that have went with the 150 and they are reporting top end speeds of 62-63. What are you guys with the 175 Pro XS’s seeing for top end speeds? What is a reasonable expectation? I really appreciate your time and inputs here and your inputs will be vital to my decision. Thanks guys.
    Craig
    USMC Retired
    2019 Nitro Z18 w/Dual Consoles
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS

Psalm 29:3 The voice of the Lord is upon the waters: the God of glory thundereth: the Lord is upon many waters.

2. Member
    I believe as you do, get the 175. You may not need it all the time, but when you do you'll be happier.

3. Member
    It seems to me that there are an awful lot of threads on here where be it a Z-7 or the Z18 is having issues getting on top, or performance problems with a 150. Whether it is a four stroke or a two stroke, it doesn't matter. It is still a 150 and once you add any amount of weight to the boat, you'd wish you had the 25 extra hp. I have a 175 on my Z-7 and there is no way I would go with any less. I have a 6" Atlas, twin PP, a fat 3 bank charger along with too much tackle. When I fill the wells and have a partner on board that 25 extra hp pays for itself. No brainer to me.

4. California Fishing Moderator Captain Babito A7T3C's Avatar
    Go with as much motor as you can afford. I have the 175 two stroke, and my top speeds are around 61-64. Most of the time my dual console is on, and I'm running with live-well near full and one passenger. Not much of a speed demon, so i usually cruise around mid 50s. I initially thought my Z18 struggled with hole shot but looking back at it i believe it was more so my inexperience and being new to a bass style of boat. Motor has plenty of get up and go.
    2017 Nitro Z18 - Mercury ProXS 175 - 24P Fury - Elite 9 TI2 - Fortrex

Thanks for the feedback fellas. I have always been in the “get the biggest one available” camp. I’m hoping that someone with the new 175 can provide their input as well. I guess maybe it is just for validity, have been hearing great things about the 150 Pro XS. I wish it wasn’t so difficult to find real world results on this motor.
    Craig
    USMC Retired
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS

Psalm 29:3 The voice of the Lord is upon the waters: the God of glory thundereth: the Lord is upon many waters.

6. Member
    I have a 150 on my Z7. Wish I had a 200.

7. Member
    boattest.com recently had a youtube video of a z18 with the 175 pro xs 4 stroke.
    2017 Ranger 518 w/ Evinrude 150HO G2

8. Member
    We sold a Z18/175 PXS four stroke about three weeks ago. First day out the customer reported 66 mph with two adults, full fuel and full livewell. Since then he has gotten 68 by himself, full fuel, and empty livewell. Speeds are GPS. He is very pleased and he never considered anything but the 175.

Quote Originally Posted by cwalsh View Post
    boattest.com recently had a youtube video of a z18 with the 175 pro xs 4 stroke.
    Thank you, I just watched that video. I really appreciate you letting me know.
    Craig
    USMC Retired
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by squarebilljunkie View Post
    We sold a Z18/175 PXS four stroke about three weeks ago. First day out the customer reported 66 mph with two adults, full fuel and full livewell. Since then he has gotten 68 by himself, full fuel, and empty livewell. Speeds are GPS. He is very pleased and he never considered anything but the 175.
    Thank you. This is some of exactly what I was looking for. I really appreciate it.
    Craig
    USMC Retired
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS

11. Member
    normally I'd say bigger is better but I don't think so in this instance. This test boat went 62.5mph LIGHT load, my buddy has a 2018 z18 with the new 175hp 4 stroke and it also will only do 62-63mph on perfect water. Pretty disappointing since the opti 175hp z18s easily ran 65-68mph. A lot of the z18 150hp guys are reporting 60-63mph. Torque will help holeshot, not hp anyway. My buddy has tried different props and adjusting pad to prop with no increase in speed, he does love the holeshot but I think the new 150hp pro xs 4 stroke is the same size displacement motor so holeshot will be similar. Just my opinion....
    2010 NITRO Z7

Quote Originally Posted by nitro2130 View Post
    normally I'd say bigger is better but I don't think so in this instance. This test boat went 62.5mph LIGHT load, my buddy has a 2018 z18 with the new 175hp 4 stroke and it also will only do 62-63mph on perfect water. Pretty disappointing since the opti 175hp z18s easily ran 65-68mph. A lot of the z18 150hp guys are reporting 60-63mph. Torque will help holeshot, not hp anyway. My buddy has tried different props and adjusting pad to prop with no increase in speed, he does love the holeshot but I think the new 150hp pro xs 4 stroke is the same size displacement motor so holeshot will be similar. Just my opinion....
    I wonder how much the prop pitch played into the test boat in the video’s top end though. Unfortunately I don’t personally know anyone that owns a new 175 Pro XS though to get actual experience testimony.
    Craig
    USMC Retired
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS

13. Banned
    I'd go with the 175 for the 20% more torque or ~50ft lbs, that'll help hole shot when loaded down in the summer time. I'm looking to repower my Sabre FTD with the 150 4-stroke to the 175 and it weighs about 500lbs less than a Z18. I've had mine up to 66, but the 175 will push it over 70mph.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelman View Post
    I'd go with the 175 for the 20% more torque or ~50ft lbs, that'll help hole shot when loaded down in the summer time. I'm looking to repower my Sabre FTD with the 150 4-stroke to the 175 and it weighs about 500lbs less than a Z18. I've had mine up to 66, but the 175 will push it over 70mph.
    This is really the way I’m leaning. I just wish for the cost difference between the 150 Pro XS and the 175 Pro XS wasn’t as big for the apparent benefits.
    Craig
    USMC Retired
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS

15. Member
    Pro's for 175

1. Better resale
    2. Cruse faster speeds at a lower RPM's, maybe even saving a little fuel and oil cost.
    3. You will wish when heat of summer you had that extra HP and torque.
    4. You will always be wondering how the 175 would have performed.
    5. You will be thinking "I wish had the 175".
    6. The grin when you pass a z18 with a 150.
    and last but not least....
    7. I can take my FAT, overweight buddy fishing, that brings 50Lbs of tackle.. because I went with the max recommended horsepower of 175 and I can get on plane!

Pro's for 150
    1. Cheaper

Look at it like your doing it for your fat overweight buddy!!!!
    ,,,what kind of of friend are you, if you don't consider your buddy??!!

You can thank me later!! Your buddy already did!!
    Last edited by moetorola; 11-01-2018 at 06:12 PM.

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by moetorola View Post
    Pro's for 175

1. Better resale
    2. Cruse faster speeds at a lower RPM's, maybe even saving a little fuel and oil cost.
    7. I can take my FAT, overweight buddy fishing, that brings 50Lbs of tackle.. because I went with the max recommended horsepower of 175 and I can get on plane!

Pro's for 150
    1. Cheaper

Lol, great sales pitch!

Quote Originally Posted by moetorola View Post
    Pro's for 175

1. Better resale

Pro's for 150
    1. Cheaper

I was following you all the way on each point, then I got to the fat overweight buddy and died laughing! Made me think of my fat, overweight buddy who wants to bring 50 pounds of tackle. Thanks for the feedback.
    Craig
    USMC Retired
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nailbender8 View Post
    I was following you all the way on each point, then I got to the fat overweight buddy and died laughing! Made me think of my fat, overweight buddy who wants to bring 50 pounds of tackle. Thanks for the feedback.
    Glad I could help