Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

1986 15'6" Champion

Can anyone shed some light on a boat I just bought. It is per the registration 15'6" Champion boat 1986, brown flake top with a cream hull max 90 hp
    boat has a Mercury 90 & a Mercury Thruster 12/24 Trolling motor single console 2 storage & 1 live well aft & 1 live well 1 storage 1 rod storage forward.
    would like to know what model it is & is there someplace that may have a carpet kit for the boat. Everything works properly, hull is in great shape as is the transom. top gel coat needs oxidation rubbed out only. Starts right up, & trailer is matching & in great shape (upgraded to submergible LED lights & water proof wiring.trailer is made by TRINC also 1986
    both boat & trailer say built in 1985 but list under model 1986
    Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Robert

The original "Mean 15" hull. Color is copper and sand. Fun little rig. Seen several ran with 150s and 200s.

3. Pat Goff
    Mean 15 with a deuce will get your junior rocket pilot certificate.

4. Member
    I’m curious what pitch prop is on your boat ruudawg?

I’v never heard of a carpet kit for any of our boats. I think you would have to order it bulk from a roll. A lot of folks get theirs from basscat boats and seems like I saw a source posted by ChampioNman lately but I don’t remember just what it was.
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

6. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Welcome! Lots of good info in the thread pinned up top in this forum. Links to Champion info/OEM, etc!

7. Member
    How could anyone in there right mind approve (coast guard) this size boat for a 150 let alone a 200 hp? You would have to drag a 50lb anchor in the water just to keep off the local flight tower radar.
    There is one site that does have pre cut carpet kits for a few Champions unfortunatly my model isn't one of them. I paid $2,400.00 for the boat & not sure if it was a great deal, but boats do cost more in Cali than back east or south. The boat looks like its designed well & would drive like a much bigger boat. Had a Ranger tri hull 181B back in 1978 & loved it. But things have changed a lot since then & everything I read & researched pointed to Champion being the best boat for every reason. Shame they are not making them today. Seems everyone kinda copies the Champion hull in one way or another with a different name. No new design breakthrough's, just same thing coming down the pipe & charging your 1st kid for one.

8. Member
    Don't know about what the pitch is yet. Wonder what the best would be for this boat, maybe a 21?

9. Pat Goff
    If I can drop a 427 in a Vega, and drive it down the street why would it be a sin to run a 200 on whatever I like?
    If I crash that vega into a tree, shame on me, if I crash my boat into a tree, still shame on me. Stupid is as stupid does.

Quote Originally Posted by ruudawg View Post
    How could anyone in there right mind approve (coast guard) this size boat for a 150 let alone a 200 hp? You would have to drag a 50lb anchor in the water just to keep off the local flight tower radar.
    There is one site that does have pre cut carpet kits for a few Champions unfortunatly my model isn't one of them. I paid $2,400.00 for the boat & not sure if it was a great deal, but boats do cost more in Cali than back east or south. The boat looks like its designed well & would drive like a much bigger boat. Had a Ranger tri hull 181B back in 1978 & loved it. But things have changed a lot since then & everything I read & researched pointed to Champion being the best boat for every reason. Shame they are not making them today. Seems everyone kinda copies the Champion hull in one way or another with a different name. No new design breakthrough's, just same thing coming down the pipe & charging your 1st kid for one.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

I’m guessing Pat and his buds never worried too much about USCG ratings.

There’s also about a million pages on this forum about re-carpeting a boat. Look here in the ChampioN forum and over in the restoration forum. There is more than enough info to make your project go well

12. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Ruudawg, The 150 and 200 motors were not approved. Just a couple of folks put them on anyway.

13. Banned
    Got to ride in one with a modified 200 on the back amazing is a understatement.

14. Pat Goff
    My 168 with a 220 would certainly keep your attention.
    156 with a deuce will take it to a new level.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

15. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    For most of us, this would be a "Don't Try This At Home!" situation!!!!!!

The early Mean 15's were 150 rated. Storie had one that was jet black with grey pins and sexier than socks on a rooster.

Quote Originally Posted by Lea View Post
    Ruudawg, The 150 and 200 motors were not approved. Just a couple of folks put them on anyway.

17. Member
    Is it possible to have a boat re rated to a larger engine by the coast guard? with the thought that a new 150 Mercury 4 stroke my wiegh as much as a old 1986 tower of power 90 hp Mercury. does anyone have any idea if that is possible or am I just walking down a one way street on this one?

18. Pat Goff
    HP rating is what it is. The only reason you'd care is if you fished tournaments.
    You should check your local requirements, but in Texas, you can hang whatever you've got on whatever you want, no harm no foul.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

19. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    I use these guy is for my carpet. Rick is a great guy to deal with he'll send you carpet samples and it is quality carpet.
    https://marinecarpeting.com/?gclid=E...SAAEgK9s_D_BwE

20. Member
    Thanx Pat, unfortunately in California where if they can get a tax dollar squeezed out of you, they pass any & every restriction, regulation & law on us that includes inspection of the boat before it touches the water @ every lake here. Haven't tried it but I'm sure if you brought a blow up raft there will be an inspection & regulations just for it.
    Thanx to everyone who replied, great help & advice that I will follow up on. (sexier than sox on a Rooster had me in tears, what a visual)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast